AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2014 9:02:27 AM EDT
I know nothing about SKS rifles
Tell me what I need to know

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#1]
The Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova, 1945 is a great design. For a bit of light reading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SKS
I prefer the SKS over either AK. Unless the AK is full auto, which I'll never be able to afford one so that is a moot point.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything to look out for (good or bad) when buying
Any known issues that must be immediately addressed? Triggers, sights, bolts?

Any recommended non-bubba mods?

Where to buy reliable stripper clips?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Be careful cleaning the bolt, dried grease can cause the firing pin to stick forward turning your new SKS into an open bolt full auto. Also take note of the retainer pin and the flat spot on the firing pin.
I will not be going into how I know that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The I.O. ones are unique because those were specially made for the Albanian military in the 1960s as military aid. There aren't that many of those and most were kept in service less than a decade.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 8:34:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The I.O. ones are unique because those were specially made for the Albanian military in the 1960s as military aid. There aren't that many of those and most were kept in service less than a decade.
View Quote

They were given to the Albanians as aid, but they were not made specifically for them. And as the IO imports are late 50's early 60's made examples and many feature dates from the 90's carved into the stocks I'd say it's a safe bet the Albanians used them for more than a decade.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Picked up the rifle from my FFL at lunch today.
COVERED in cosmoline, haha.
I'm excited
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:05:46 PM EDT
[#7]
After 2hrs of cosmo removal - still freakin's covered
Matching serial # on bolt and receiver, mismatch on the dust cover (that's the correct term, right?) and engraved in the buttstock

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 4:50:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not sure you could call me Bub, but I did move the sling point.

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 9:37:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Not bad! How much did that run you if you dont mind me asking?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#10]
In the recent years of cheapak rifles,  they are under appreciated.  I finally gave in to the urge to replace one thati had wheni wasa kid. Hanging on to it untili can finda nice unmessed with Chinese one. This one has the usual junk on it. Take it out, shoot and enjoy it. Avoid the urge to change things around.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top