Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 11:55:38 AM EDT
I ended up with an sks from a guy locally. I didnt really want or need it just saw the value in it. It is ..

1951 Tula , has not been refurbed, doesn't appear to have been shot, looks awesome. It has all matching numbers,I checked the top plate,reciever, trigger guard, magazine, stock, the bolt, the piston, under the rear sight, they all match.

My question is this, would this be a good swap for a standard lets say Romanian Ak. That is what I was looking for to begin with, a basic AK.

I ended up spending the money I had set aside for the AK on this thinking it was such a nice gun it would be easy to trade in the Ak/sks world.

I will try and get some pics of this up this evening.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 12:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
sounds like a 500$ prize.... could shoot better than your ROmy as well.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#2]
does the gas piston match, bolt, bolt carrier, extractor, rear sight, butt plate, gas piston housing, is the stock hardwood or laminate...

pictures would help. If its truly non-refurbished they are going for 600-800.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes sir everything matches, I did not look at the extractor or butt plate. I'll check that this evening and post up some pics.

I am very confident it has not been rearsenaled, don't see any of the signs I read about. There is no stamp on the cover or anything XXed out.

Where is the buttplate stamped? on the inside? I do not remember seeing anything on it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2014 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes sir everything matches, I did not look at the extractor or butt plate. I'll check that this evening and post up some pics.

I am very confident it has not been rearsenaled, don't see any of the signs I read about. There is no stamp on the cover or anything XXed out.

Where is the buttplate stamped? on the inside? I do not remember seeing anything on it.

View Quote

Buttplate, rear sight, extractor , piston,  piston assembly are all EPed to match.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]

URL=http://s15.photobucket.com/user/redline73/media/imagejpg4_zps06cd7526.jpg.html][/URL]
URL=http://s15.photobucket.com/user/redline73/media/imagejpg5_zps1b277032.jpg.html][/URL]
URL=http://s15.photobucket.com/user/redline73/media/imagejpg3_zps86e0ff77.jpg.html][/URL]
URL=http://s15.photobucket.com/user/redline73/media/imagejpg1_zps037ccfaa.jpg.html][/URL]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
All the numbers match, I checked the extractor, and the piston cover, they have matching numbers, did not see one on butt plate. It doesn't look like it has ever been removed until I did., this gun is super clean, didn't see any signs of use on inside.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:59:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like you have yourself a carbine in the $900 range or better.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Keep the SKS and continue saving for an AK.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#9]
That rifle will bring more in a Gunbroker auction than you would pay for a Romanian AK. I would suggest keep it and save to buy the AK you want....
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 11:41:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with the posts from the above gentlemen.. romanian wasrs are a dime a dozen; an early unrefurb 1950s sks are not.
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#12]
i would keep the sks, how the market is moving it's gonna be worth a lot more than a dime a dozen romanian wasr, if you have your heart set on a wasr then save up some money
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks for all the info.

I really want to shoot this gun. Like I mentioned I cant see any signs that it's been shot but I have no way to verify this.

Would it affect the value if I shot it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2014 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
thanks for all the info.

I really want to shoot this gun. Like I mentioned I cant see any signs that it's been shot but I have no way to verify this.

View Quote

no, i shoot my two non-refurbs occasionaly. Just don't use any harsh chemicals that may get on the stock (CPL breakfree.. for example keep it away)

Use hoppes 9 and good oil.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
thanks for all the info.

View Quote

Your rifle looks real nice...I believe that shooting it will effect the value of this gun.  It is in unused condition and for a Russian SKS that means something.
I am not sure how much shooting it will effect the price but it will.  
Now...I would shoot it and never look back.  The gun is made to be shot so shoot it.  

Also note...the only thing that I would use on it for cleaning and lubing is  breakfree CPL.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Your rifle looks real nice...I believe that shooting it will effect the value of this gun.  It is in unused condition and for a Russian SKS that means something.
Now...I would shoot it and never look back.  The gun is made to be shot so shoot it.  

Also note...the only thing that I would use on it for cleaning and lubing is  breakfree CPL.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks for all the info.

FYI, CLP/ Breakfree will not remove the salt from corrosive primers. I recommend NOT shooting it. If you wanna have a shooter SKS, get a common Yugo or Norinco.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FYI, CLP/ Breakfree will not remove the salt from corrosive primers. I recommend NOT shooting it. If you wanna have a shooter SKS, get a common Yugo or Norinco.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks for all the info.

Who uses corrosive primers anymore???
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 4:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks for all the info.

Surplus ammo is still imported.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#19]
IMO: Keep the '51 Russian SKS.  It will continue to appreciate in value.  As long as Romanian AKs are still being imported, and more AKs are being made locally or imported from other sources the price on AKs will remain lower.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
IMO: Keep the '51 Russian SKS.  It will continue to appreciate in value.  As long as Romanian AKs are still being imported, and more AKs are being made locally or imported from other sources the price on AKs will remain lower.
View Quote

This.  Keep the SKS.  If everything goes to shit in a few years it will be extremely valuable. Sell something else and buy a AKM.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 5:46:55 PM EDT
[#21]
You're screwed man. Do you have any idea how addicting SKSs are??

Now you're going to need a Yugo. And a Chinese. And.....
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:38:58 AM EDT
[#22]
From a motivated buyer, you could get a great price for a non-refurb Russian SKS.  Heck, even at recent prices the SKS you have is worth more than a Romanian AK (Data: GunStockMarket Russian SKS Sales).

The general trend is upwards, even with the blip from the "Great Panic of 2013": First Half of 2014 Market Report, 2013 Market Report and 2012 Market Report.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want to keep it for its historical value/rarity as a bit of a safe queen, then by all means keep it.  If you just wanted an SKS or cheaper Romanian AK to plink around with and not care about getting scratched, however, I would sell it to an SKS collector and get more than you paid for and would need for a cheaper AK.  Obviously your gun and your choice, nice find either way!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I agree with the posts from the above gentlemen.. romanian wasrs are a dime a dozen; an early unrefurb 1950s sks are not.

+1

I have a WASR that's barely broken in and I'll trade you straight up with all the mags I have and pay shipping both ways.
But, if it was me, I'd keep the SKS.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top