Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/27/2014 11:15:28 AM EDT
Not sure if this has been posted here before, but I found this video of a SKS M at Knob Creek from a few years back.  I was surprised by the cyclic rate.  It appears to be much faster than any of the AKs I've shot and more comparable to a M16.  It's got me wondering why these weren't implemented by the Soviets as a SAW type weapon since it uses AK mags.

Discuss.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:37:31 AM EDT
[#1]
"It's got me wondering why these weren't implemented by the Soviets as a SAW type weapon since it uses AK mags."

1. Because no military variation of the Siminov in Russia or any other country utilized AK mags

2. Because it would be horrible as a SAW with a light barrel and standard stock

3. Because logistically it makes more sense to used the RPK since it is the same weapon system as the standard AKs and is parts compatible with training overlap.

4. Because the RPD takes the same cartridge, is belt fed and does the job as an SKS could never do

5. Because existing weapons platforms already outperform what it could do (see #3 and #4)

6. Because a full auto SKS trying to be a  SAW is just asinine.

Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Easy there Hoss.  Maybe I should clarify a bit.  In the early 50s the combloc countries had large numbers of SKS carbines in their arsenals and the RPK wasn't around yet.  It seems to me like it would be cheaper to use a modified version of the sks as a squad support weapon if they were able to put 2 and 2 together modifying the sks to take ak mags rather than designing a whole new weapon.  I'm not suggesting that this is somehow comparable to the 240 or 249, maybe just an early attempt at a support weapon with commonality of ammo and magazines early on post WWII.

It looks like a bigger and more powerful version of the PPSH the more I look at it, granted it's not nearly as compact and probably heavier.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Easy there Hoss.  Maybe I should clarify a bit.  In the early 50s the combloc countries had large numbers of SKS carbines in their arsenals and the RPK wasn't around yet.  It seems to me like it would be cheaper to use a modified version of the sks as a squad support weapon if they were able to put 2 and 2 together modifying the sks to take ak mags rather than designing a whole new weapon.  I'm not suggesting that this is somehow comparable to the 240 or 249, maybe just an early attempt at a support weapon with commonality of ammo and magazines early on post WWII.

It looks like a bigger and more powerful version of the PPSH the more I look at it, granted it's not nearly as compact and probably heavier.
View Quote

Re-tooling the SKS production line would not be cheaper than just putting a heavier barrel and stock on an existing weapon using existing tooling.
Especially since it doesnt have a pistol-grip or straight line stock  layout.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not sure if this has been posted here before, but I found this video of a SKS M at Knob Creek from a few years back.  I was surprised by the cyclic rate.  It appears to be much faster than any of the AKs I've shot and more comparable to a M16.  It's got me wondering why these weren't implemented by the Soviets as a SAW type weapon since it uses AK mags.

Discuss.

http://youtu.be/nuV1X28m28A
View Quote

Pad
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:06:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The reason is simple. The RPD was fielded around the same time as the SKS was in WWII.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:42:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do people have to keep trying to make the SKS into something it is not? The SKS is a riflemans rifle.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do people have to keep trying to make the SKS into something it is not? The SKS is a riflemans rifle.
View Quote

People do it because they own it and can do with them as they see fit.  It's like the kids that lower their Hondas and put glass packs on them. All in the eye of the beholder. Now I agree that SKS's should be left alone, but that's my opinion. However, the SKS being "a riflemans rifle" I'll argue that topic all day.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

I feel the same way about people that put rails on the AK

The AK is so popular because it is rugged, simple, reliable, and CHEAP.            Why try and make it an AR15?    

BECAUSE MURIKA that's why!

ETA:  my only complaint is that the shooter in the video didn't have a huge shit eating grin on his face after shooting such full auto HOTTNESS!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, let's get this straight. I'm just as much of a purist as everyone else here.  I'm not trying to make my SKS into something it's not.  In my first post I stated that I found an interesting video and posed a question about why the Soviets didn't explore a select fire version of the SKS.  I'm just as much of a tapco hater as the rest of you and I have AKs and ARs already.  The SKS as a rifleman's rifle is debatable, it has decent accuracy for a Soviet design but it doesn't compare much to the Garand.

I picked up another SKS yesterday and I'll add it to the sticky later.  Nothing special, just a Commercial Norinco Type 56 spiker arsenal [0144].
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

People do it because they own it and can do with them as they see fit.  It's like the kids that lower their Hondas and put glass packs on them. All in the eye of the beholder. Now I agree that SKS's should be left alone, but that's my opinion. However, the SKS being "a riflemans rifle" I'll argue that topic all day.  
http://www.hwsportsman.net/M1poster.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hwsportsman.net/M1poster.gif

The SKS reminds me a lot of the M1 Garand, standard stock, fixed mag, ect. Just in a milder caliber. It is close to being a battle rifle, but in a smaller cartridge.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Ok, let's get this straight. I'm just as much of a purist as everyone else here.  I'm not trying to make my SKS into something it's not.  In my first post I stated that I found an interesting video and posed a question about why the Soviets didn't explore a select fire version of the SKS.  I'm just as much of a tapco hater as the rest of you and I have AKs and ARs already.  The SKS as a rifleman's rifle is debatable, it has decent accuracy for a Soviet design but it doesn't compare much to the Garand.

I picked up another SKS yesterday and I'll add it to the sticky later.  Nothing special, just a Commercial Norinco Type 56 spiker arsenal [0144].
View Quote

I'm sure they did as they did explore a DMR/Sniper variant. Why they did go with a select fire SKS as a SAW was because they already had the RPD. Why not go with a select fire detachable mag variant as a battle rifle. Who knows (political, doctrine, set in their ways, couldn't make it work well enough)?   Hell, why didn't they go with a detachable mag for the Garand.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:21:12 PM EDT
[#13]
SKS was never full auto and was never intended to be. It would be hazardous to your health to try and make one...
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top