Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/13/2014 10:58:51 PM EDT
I have a Norinco I've never shot before.  It had the mystery "west cost" rail already on it so I had Converta mount put on and I found this cool little 2.5x Chinese scope for it.  Has Bullet Drop Reticule to 400m.  Had Kivaari (Tom Prince) set me up a two stage trigger at 5.5lbs.  Will probably cut off the front third of the Converta mount.  Probably should have fired it before I went this far down the road - huh.

I've never sighted in let alone fired and SKS before.  I believe I've read if you sight in a .223 AR at 25yds it should be good a100.  If you sight in a .308 (M1a, AR10, etc) at 50yds it should be at 200.

Any rules of thumb like this when getting started from the 1st shot?  I hope it's a decent shooter.  I know I shouldn't  expect much after a couple hundred yards.  I don't have too much tied up into it but a lot of time.  I really don't enjoy shooting my Yugo underfolder AK and I have HEAPS of x39 ammo.

Also.  Do these barrels widen out their groups after 5-10 rounds?

Crappy pics but I had to use the smart phone.  Lost my "real" camera.

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Finally got it out. MISERABLE performance. 2.5" groups at 25yds. Thought the scope or mount was bad but got the same results wi irons. Useless spray at 100yds. My SBR Draco does 3-4" groups at 100yds. Pretty sure someone ground on the crown. Once I took off the hokey flash hider and cleaned I discovered Shiny grind marks on conical fluting in from the muzzle. Will post pics in a few days. I hope this can be redressed as it's a fun little shooter and the Tom Prince trigger job makes it a pleasure to shoot.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:19:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of views but I guess this is not the place to ask SKS advice.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Did you shoot it without the muzzle brake installed?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:24:59 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah. I should have clarified that I removed it right away after the first bad group or two.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Does the muzzle pass the bullet test?
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Might be hard to tell wi that crown so recessed.  Taking it back out tomorrow (wi variety of ammo) so I will look at that.  Rifling and lands are crisp and bright.

I'm just hoping there was a whole bunch of uneven carbon buildup that I didn't notice after removing flash hider.  cause I never noticed that crown until I clean the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That rifling is fine.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Sigh . . . . . . Second time out.  Shot Golden Tiger.  Groups no better.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top