Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/7/2014 9:10:23 PM EDT
I bought one of the royal tiger imports SKS a few months ago.  Finally got to go out and shoot it and it will not shoot semi auto some of the time. I pull the trigger and the rifle will fire,but the bolt will stick to the rear.  Some times it will fire all the rounds normally,but maybe 75% of the time the bolt will stick to the rear.  Anyone know whats causing this.  By the way the ammo I used Tula ammo
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I bought one of the royal tiger imports SKS a few months ago.  Finally got to go out and shoot it and it will not shoot semi auto some of the time. I pull the trigger and the rifle will fire,but the bolt will stick to the rear.  Some times it will fire all the rounds normally,but maybe 75% of the time the bolt will stick to the rear.  Anyone know whats causing this.  By the way the ammo I used Tula ammo
View Quote

You'll need to open her up and look to see where it is binding... is the bolt sticking past the bolt hold open in the magazine? Is it the bolt hold open jumping upward?

Link Posted: 6/8/2014 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You'll need to open her up and look to see where it is binding... is the bolt sticking past the bolt hold open in the magazine? Is it the bolt hold open jumping upward?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bolt is sticking all the way to the rear
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#3]
i assume the sks was properly cleaned and degreased before taking it to the range.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 6:21:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
i assume the sks was properly cleaned and degreased before taking it to the range.
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:27:17 PM EDT
[#5]
When you reinstalled the recoil spring assembly after cleaning it, did you install it with the 'flexible' end into the bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When you reinstalled the recoil spring assembly after cleaning it, did you install it with the 'flexible' end into the bolt carrier?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 1:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]
With the magazine open, pulling the bolt handle to the rear rapidly and letting go of it, can you duplicate the problem? Gun obviously empty, of course.
Link Posted: 6/12/2014 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
With the magazine open, pulling the bolt handle to the rear rapidly and letting go of it, can you duplicate the problem? Gun obviously empty, of course.
View Quote

No
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 2:04:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

It's probably the bolt hold-open then. Something is causing it to engage when it shouldn't. Any burrs on the bolt hold-open? Does it pop back down easily when the magazine follower is depressed?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's probably the bolt hold-open then. Something is causing it to engage when it shouldn't. Any burrs on the bolt hold-open? Does it pop back down easily when the magazine follower is depressed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No

I don't see or feel any burrs on the bolt hold open.  And it does pop back down easily when the magazine follower is depressed.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 7:17:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Man, I wish I was there for about 30 minutes so I could look at, and manipulate it to see what the problem is. These guns are pretty simple to mechanic on (except for the trigger group). Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Mark
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:56:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Man, I wish I was there for about 30 minutes so I could look at, and manipulate it to see what the problem is. These guns are pretty simple to mechanic on (except for the trigger group). Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Mark
View Quote

I appreciate all the help
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:09:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I just had an idea. Could the bolt carrier be riding up out of the frame rails at the end of it's travel? I can't think what would cause it to do so, but it seems like it would duplicate the stoppages you are experiencing. When you have a stoppage and the bolt locks to the rear, what do you have to do to to get it to close?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I just had an idea. Could the bolt carrier be riding up out of the frame rails at the end of it's travel? I can't think what would cause it to do so, but it seems like it would duplicate the stoppages you are experiencing. When you have a stoppage and the bolt locks to the rear, what do you have to do to to get it to close?
View Quote

I don't think it coming out of the rails. When I do get the stoppage all I have to do is push the bolt forward
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#15]
All the way forward? Or just a little and the spring takes over?
Could the bolt be binding on the top of the hammer?
Any burrs on the rails of the receiver or bolt body? Look at them under a bright light. I would be tempted to fire it without the recoil spring in place just to see how the bolt and carrier ended up. Maybe try lubing the rails with grease. Can you see any metal shaving anywhere?
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 9:28:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try the sksboards.com.

If you cant come up with an answer over there then it aint fixable.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top