Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2014 12:36:01 PM EDT
So I have two SKS-Ms sitting around.  One is in pretty nice condition and the other has good, working internals but the wood looks like crap.  I was considering turning that one into a bullpup via this kit.  http://www.cbrps.com/SKS.html  The general concensus from the interwebs is that it's a solid kit but I was just hoping to get some feedback from anyone that's handled one.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 9:31:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry I can't help you on the kit you linked to.

I've seen and shot this kit personally: Linky

Seemed very solid and felt good in the hands. I'd recommend it from my limited shooting with it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#2]
My googling has led me to believe the CBRPS is sturdier and that they have better customer service, so I'm still leaning that way.
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#3]
SKS bullpups are fun and make for incredibly accurate, compact, target rifles. I've tried both manufacturers' kits, but found the SG Works to be the best and most sturdy.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:32:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you have troubles with mag changes since you usually have to roll them in?  I'm worried the grip gets in the way.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you have troubles with mag changes since you usually have to roll them in?  I'm worried the grip gets in the way.
View Quote

I can change mags just as smoothly and quickly as with any of my AKs, using the Tapco duckbill mags. If your model M accepts standard AK mags though, then changing them should be a breeze. The SG Works kit takes a bit longer to install, but it will fit perfectly and have absolutely no play, accuracy will be consistent. I would recommend watching the installation video on their site. Slight modification may or may not be required to the bullpup assembly for a solid fit. Honestly, there are a few things that I did not like about the CBRPS. For one, it is hideous in appearance, but my main concern was in the apparent lack of being sturdy once installed, especially once an optic was added. This kit only takes a couple of minutes to install, but that is also its weakness. Both kits I tried from them did not mount solid enough to allow repeatability in shot placement, thus groups were larger than expected. Also, the trigger bar felt gritty and periodically failed to reset. I eventually ended up giving these kits away.

I have heard that the original SG Works kit had an issue in which the ejection door could pop out from spent cases hitting it during ejection. I personally have not experienced this on three separate kits, but know that it is a real issue none-the-less. BUT, SG Works has already upgraded their design since last year and corrected this problem, so any new orders are shipped with the upgraded top cover (included newer latch assembly as well). Also, the cotter pin leash assembly was removed due to an improved design. I am about to order the upgraded covers myself.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Got a Norinco that I bullpupped with Shernic way back. Took a bit to get the linkage to work, but I got the setup for adapted Tapco 20 round mags. Not too much different than using AK mags, and I have to admit, the damned thing is fun to shoot. Haven't had any issues with ejection tab breaking on mine. Had to make a sling for it, before Shernic came out with one...and if you carry it for any length of time, you will need a sling. Spent six hours at the Phoenix Gun Show in '12, and it wasn't too bad.
If you go that route. post pics...haven't seen anyone who has...I've wanted to get a 'D' or 'M' to bullpup, so I can interchange mags with my PAP
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Went the SGworks route after all.  Looks good but havent shot/messed with it yet.  Bought a vented steel hand guard since the wooden one looks odd in the all black kit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I can change mags just as smoothly and quickly as with any of my AKs, using the Tapco duckbill mags. If your model M accepts standard AK mags though, then changing them should be a breeze. The SG Works kit takes a bit longer to install, but it will fit perfectly and have absolutely no play, accuracy will be consistent. I would recommend watching the installation video on their site. Slight modification may or may not be required to the bullpup assembly for a solid fit. Honestly, there are a few things that I did not like about the CBRPS. For one, it is hideous in appearance, but my main concern was in the apparent lack of being sturdy once installed, especially once an optic was added. This kit only takes a couple of minutes to install, but that is also its weakness. Both kits I tried from them did not mount solid enough to allow repeatability in shot placement, thus groups were larger than expected. Also, the trigger bar felt gritty and periodically failed to reset. I eventually ended up giving these kits away.

I have heard that the original SG Works kit had an issue in which the ejection door could pop out from spent cases hitting it during ejection. I personally have not experienced this on three separate kits, but know that it is a real issue none-the-less. BUT, SG Works has already upgraded their design since last year and corrected this problem, so any new orders are shipped with the upgraded top cover (included newer latch assembly as well). Also, the cotter pin leash assembly was removed due to an improved design. I am about to order the upgraded covers myself.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was right, the grip gets the way of the mag and i cant get them to lock up.  Bought a couple of tanker mags and that didnt help either.  Called SGworks and they said to dremel off some of the grip and see if that works.  Was told even if I break the kit by dremeling off so much it becomes unstable they will either send a new kit or refund me, so that's comforting at least.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#9]
That cbrps.com kit reminds me a lot of the bullpup kit that's made for an M1A. Nice!
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top