Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/6/2015 5:44:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GripnAK47s]
Ive been kicking this around for a while and its time to get it done.

Im thinking this combo:

SF3P-762-M24X1.5

SOCOM300 SPS

Crappy host, barrel concentricity and subsonic ammo discussion aside, what say you? Am I missing another option?

Originally, I was thinking about milling off the 24mm threads and threading the barrel... Is this route an advantage in some way?
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#1]
if your bore is concentric then go with the 24mm mount.
under the FSB the barrel is 14mm so threading it 5/8 or 15mm like most non-AK .30 cal's won't work
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 8:03:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kami211:
if your bore is concentric then go with the 24mm mount.
under the FSB the barrel is 14mm so threading it 5/8 or 15mm like most non-AK .30 cal's won't work
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't checked that yet.
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 1:34:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I am in the process of a similar project.  I am planning on threading the barrel itself to 1/2x28.  I am using AAC mount/suppressor, so I was limited to what they offered and decided to go with their 30cal blackout for 1/2x28 and 7.62sd can.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 10:11:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: freeride1] [#4]
You need to check with Surefire and verify the minimum barrel length they warranty with this can

SLR-107UR sbr is about 8.5".  Most manufacturers won't warranty down that short.  Often it's 10.3" and up sometimes even 11.5-12".  I went through this with my SLR104UR.  I ended up with a Silencerco Saker because they were one of the few to offer a warranty on an uber short barrel (7" iirc.). The Saker also has replaceable endcaps that can fix a minor encap stike.  This is especially important on a super short barrel and even more so an AK with less than precise tolerances.

I threaded my Krink barrel before chopping as I had intended to use a direct thread adapter with my Saker.  This cuts down on coocentricity issues but you need to remember the the bore isn't always cocentric to the outside of the barrel.  The nice thing about a threaded barrel is that (at least on my 5.45 gun) I can use a Krink booster when I am not shooting suppressed.

Fact of the matter is that most guys don't have Krinks and the guys that do don't often suppress them.  Manufacturers don't feel the need to test/warranty them. I would strongly recommend taking a look at SilencerCo.  They have great products and the best customer service in the industry.  Hopefully you won't need their CS but with an AK there is a decent chance you will at some point.

Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:36:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GripnAK47s] [#5]
Originally Posted By Byrd-Shooter:
I am in the process of a similar project.  I am planning on threading the barrel itself to 1/2x28.  I am using AAC mount/suppressor, so I was limited to what they offered and decided to go with their 30cal blackout for 1/2x28 and 7.62sd can.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Byrd-Shooter:

Awesome. Would be interested to see how it goes.

Originally Posted By freeride1:
You need to check with Surefire and verify the minimum barrel length they warranty with this can

SLR-107UR sbr is about 8.5".  Most manufacturers won't warranty down that short.  Often it's 10.3" and up sometimes even 11.5-12".  I went through this with my SLR104UR.  I ended up with a Silencerco Saker because they were one of the few to offer a warranty on an uber short barrel (7" iirc.). The Saker also has replaceable endcaps that can fix a minor encap stike.  This is especially important on a super short barrel and even more so an AK with less than precise tolerances.

I threaded my Krink barrel before chopping as I had intended to use a direct thread adapter with my Saker.  This cuts down on coocentricity issues but you need to remember the the bore isn't always cocentric to the outside of the barrel.  The nice thing about a threaded barrel is that (at least on my 5.45 gun) I can use a Krink booster when I am not shooting suppressed.

Fact of the matter is that most guys don't have Krinks and the guys that do don't often suppress them.  Manufacturers don't feel the need to test/warranty them. I would strongly recommend taking a look at SilencerCo.  They have great products and the best customer service in the industry.  Hopefully you won't need their CS but with an AK there is a decent chance you will at some point.

Thanks.  Replaceable endcaps is a definite plus. Will look into this. (mine is already SBR, I didnt think about leaving a nub at the time) 1/2x28 direct thread would be nice.

This is what SiCo said about it: So long as the bullets are stabilizing then you will be fine running the Saker 762 on a 8.5"  7.62x39.
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 2:24:15 PM EDT
[#6]
In a turn of events, QRF was running a great deal and I got the Specwar. Unfortunately, missed the Saker by about 1 minute.

I can live with the size
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 12:10:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Specwars are noticeably queiter than Sakers.  I've shot both side by side and it's not a huge difference but it's noticeable.  Very durable cans too.

You will be very happy with it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:25:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GripnAK47s] [#8]
Done.

Big shout out to brother eastTXhunter for the milling/thread job. Fantastic work!

The muzzle work idea was from brother xjedix's saiga project, so I cant take the credit.

Details:
Arsenal SLR107UR SBR
FSGB milled back and barrel threaded 1/2x28 (Can still run 24mm devices as well, with remaining threads..Im a fan of the 4 piece)
Specwar 762 can, 556 Trifecta QD Muzzle Brake drilled out for .30cal
Bulgy flip peep top cover (kvar) with small picatinny mount Tig welded on top (works great) Gives lower 1/3 co-witness.
LHCH is a custom job. The handle was turned out of a standard gas piston. Scope rail removed.
MC paint job is just rattle can with 5 colors or so (IIRC) stickers, layering etc

The next project is a thumb safety lever.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By GripnAK47s:
Done.

Big shout out to brother eastTXhunter for the milling/thread job. Fantastic work!

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo357/StressFire/20150817_191908_zpsiiagbpc9.jpg
http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo357/StressFire/20150817_191852_zpsbgdefuwo.jpg
Don't mind the tactical rug The SW762 is at my dealer, pending approval. (Someone out there will recognize it )
View Quote

So, how did you end up mounting it? Looks awesome!
Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top