Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2015 4:42:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zutmeloda2003]
Just bought a maadi n the finish peeling off.

I want to refinish it i like the high gloss goopy finish it has from the factory.

Anyone have any luck sending out their gun to have it refinished? Or any methods to do it yourself?

I am more interested in durability then looks. But would like to get the best of both worlds if possable.

Thanks yall

Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:23:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy in gloss black is the best match for both the Maadi paint and the Russian paint. You basically dust it on from about 16". I let it set up for about 30 min, then I bake it in an oven at 350deg for one hour. It is a seriously durable finish after the curing process and looks identical to the original finishes. The key is to not putting it on too thick. It is very cheap, $5.98 a can at Lowes. One can will paint 2-3 guns.

Many builders use this finish, inquire about it here or on AKfiles.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 2:02:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Will it go on thin enough easily to not cover up all the markings on the maadi? Especially the one on the bottom of receiver it’s kinda faint and looks like it might cover up the easiest of the markings. What is everyone using to get the old paint off? 00 or 000 Wool or bead blast? Not really wanting to bead blast like to protect the markings.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:20:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually used Rustoleum high-temp semi gloss black when redoing Converted Saigas.  Perfect match. Gloss was a bit too much shine.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 3:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you do it while really drunk and be sure to throw a hand full of sand at it to give it that authentic Maddi feel.
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 11:19:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you considered road tar? I’m 87% sure that’s what mine is. By far the ugliest finish I’ve ever seen. When I installed an ALG trigger, my safety didn’t work. It was too thick. I started with some sandpaper and it turns out it was thick but with paint only. Just took a little of that black tar off and the safety was operational again.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ark-and-spark:
Make sure you do it while really drunk and be sure to throw a hand full of sand at it to give it that authentic Maddi feel.
View Quote

LOL!
Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top