Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/14/2015 1:49:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DerMann]
I usually don't attend the local gun show because it seems everything is way overpriced and its the same stuff table-to-table.  However, I went this morning.  Literally the fifth table in I found this...

At first I thought it was either a MISR-90 or a kit gun.  Until I looked at the markings...

I couldn't believe my luck--an AAC/Intrac imported Maadi ARM.  The painted finish is kinda crappy but all the numbers match and the barrel is bright and shiny.  Not sure about the wood.  I don't think its original.  All of the Maadis I've seen had brown/gold wood, not red.  Thought someone may have refinished it but the color is consistent on the unexposed surfaces.  Also, anyone know what the "94" in the Egyptian crown marking means?  Is it the date of manufacture (1994)?

I am very happy with my gun show find.  Not sure if I want to keep it all original or have it refinished and change out the grip and furniture for something a little more "tacticool".
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh come on, dude, say what you paid for it!
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 3:19:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The guy was asking $900.00.  I bought it for $750.00.  I don't think it was a bad deal since the show was fully of WASRs for $600.00.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 3:41:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scotter260] [#3]
Well bought sir!

I'd be happy to find and pay that for a straight MISR S/A!
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't mess with it. If you want to "tacticool" a gun sell that one and buy a WASR and use the extra for all your toys to bolt on.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Decided to keep it in the original config.  I might need to get it refinished though.  The paint is flaking off pretty bad on the receiver where the selector travels.  Any suggestions on a good AK smith to send it to for a park and coat job?
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:18:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice find. That's about what I paid  for mine a few months ago. My finish is a little flanky too, I just wiped it down real good with a cloth and clp and call it a day. I want to keep it as original as possible.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DerMann:
Decided to keep it in the original config.  I might need to get it refinished though.  The paint is flaking off pretty bad on the receiver where the selector travels.  Any suggestions on a good AK smith to send it to for a park and coat job?
View Quote

Keep it as is, that flaky paint is part of what makes people want and pay more the Maadi.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:09:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flyer] [#8]
94 is the year of production.  The finish on the receiver does not look correct to me.  I have had three of these and none of mine had a glossy thick finish, all matte finish.  Since it came with a thumbhole stock and has already been altered, I would refinish it.  I used AK USA and he does a great job (not cheap, but you get what you pay for).  

FYI, you also need to check the forward Y stamp on the left side of the receiver (if it has one).  If it has a rivet in the center of that stamp and it is just there to close up a drilled hole, then you have one of the recalled rifles.  Some of the first batch of imported rifles had the center of the Y stamp drilled for the full auto pin and then the Egyptians just placed a rivet in the hole to close it up.  ATF recalled these as they considered the drilling of the hole as making the rifle a machine gun.  My first Maadi was one of these and I had to send it back to the importer for exchange.  They made a big deal about trying to get these back; my dealer contacted me with a special letter from the Importer and ATF about the issue.  I do not believe that they got them all back and some are still out there.  I always check for this on all of the early pattern AAC/Intrac imported rifles.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flyer:
94 is the year of production.  The finish on the receiver does not look correct to me.  I have had three of these and none of mine had a glossy thick finish, all matte finish.  Since it came with a thumbhole stock and has already been altered, I would refinish it.  I used AK USA and he does a great job (not cheap, but you get what you pay for).  

FYI, you also need to check the forward Y stamp on the left side of the receiver (if it has one).  If it has a rivet in the center of that stamp and it is just there to close up a drilled hole, then you have one of the recalled rifles.  Some of the first batch of imported rifles had the center of the Y stamp drilled for the full auto pin and then the Egyptians just placed a rivet in the hole to close it up.  ATF recalled these as they considered the drilling of the hole as making the rifle a machine gun.  My first Maadi was one of these and I had to send it back to the importer for exchange.  They made a big deal about trying to get these back; my dealer contacted me with a special letter from the Importer and ATF about the issue.  I do not believe that they got them all back and some are still out there.  I always check for this on all of the early pattern AAC/Intrac imported rifles.
View Quote

+1.  Not original.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 1:27:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice! Still looking for a Maadi to add to the collection.
Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top