Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2013 3:09:53 PM EDT
My Brother-in-law has a Maadi. I do not know the importer. It has a thumb hole stock on it that he would like to replace with a regular wooden or plastic stock. He tells me he cannot find one to fit because of the rear trunion. It is a bit odd looking. One gun show genius told him it was because his receiver was milled. It is a stamped receiver as far as I can tell, rivets everywhere. The rear trunion is different looking though. I don't have access to the rifle, so I can't get any more info on it. I thought it would be a breeze to do. I am guessing Century imported it, as it has trigger slap from the crappy triggers they used to use before the Tapco G2 came out. Sorry for no photo and no better info. Any help on what I am dealing with here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 8:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, I guess I didn't supply enough information, or know one wants to answer. I thought it would be a simple thing to describe. There has to be a way to put a USA made butt stock on this gun.

Thanks,
Mark('');
Link Posted: 12/30/2013 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks much, now I see the dilemma he has been going through trying to find a butt stock.

Mark  
Link Posted: 1/4/2014 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eugunieum:
Well, I guess I didn't supply enough information, or know one wants to answer. I thought it would be a simple thing to describe. There has to be a way to put a USA made butt stock on this gun.

Thanks,
Mark('');
View Quote

Well perhaps if you posted a pic of the "odd looking" rear trunnion we could better help you instead of having to rely on shoddy Chinese made crystal balls. Even if you have to pull a pic from the net. There's a multitude of different rear trunnions and receiver styles that people have used over the many years and it's possible someone at some point in time used a non-standard rear trunnion.

Link Posted: 1/5/2014 11:54:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Will try to get a pic in the next week. I realize that would help. The gun is about 40 miles away from me, and I want to get a pic of it without the thumb hole stock on it.
Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#6]
OK, I don't know what I am doing here, but I have uploaded the pics to photobucket. It is no wonder my Brother in law can't find a buttstock for this thing, it has a solid plate on the back of the receiver!

OK, here goes: Ah cra*. I can't remember how to do it and can't find the tutorial. Will hunt around and try later.

Mark
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 5:31:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eugunieum] [#7]
Here goes:

" />

" />

" />

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:51:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, I posted pics? still no help.

Mark
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Mark
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Mark

Not everyone lives on this forum, and nothing is stopping you from doing your own research. Anyway, from those pics your question was already answered in the first post by FuzzyNet. Click the link, look for the trunnion that looks like yours (it's there) and read the description:

No stock can be mounted to this receiver type without serious custom modifications. We have yet to see anyone bother with modifying this model to accept a traditional AK butt stock.

Basically, you're SOL unless you have the entire rear trunnion removed and replaced or mill out the plate so that a slant cut stock can be inserted.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#10]
People ask question, and get them answered. I never seem to get that lucky. While I thank you for your comments, I don't think I deserved to be treated like a 2 year old. I have been doing research on my own, but just got the pics yesterday. I thought maybe someone knew some tricks to get this done. This is not my gun. I am doing a favor for my brother in law of almost 40 years. I am sorry I aggrevated you. I thought the sight was for helping each other out.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#11]
People ask question, and get them answered. I never seem to get that lucky. While I thank you for your comments, I don't think I deserved to be treated like a 2 year old. I have been doing research on my own, but just got the pics yesterday. I thought maybe someone knew some tricks to get this done. This is not my gun. I am doing a favor for my brother in law of almost 40 years. I am sorry I aggrevated you. I thought the sight was for helping each other out.

Thanks for your help,
Mark
View Quote

Very true that many people get their questions answered very quickly, but there are many times when I haven't received an answer for weeks or not at all. When you wait only a day and then start with the " know one wants to answer", "still no help" and begin throwing out "" emoticons it makes you seem like someone who just wants the answer spoonfed to them and then gets grumpy when it isn't done withing their ideal time frame. On top of that, a big reason you probably didn't get too many people jumping in is because the Egyptian sub-forum isn't heavily traveled; especially since the huge influx of Egyptian kits dried up. You could try re-posting this in the "AK Discussion" section which gets a lot more traffic.

But like I said, your BIL is essentially out of luck in regards to easily installing a standard stock. I've found other people with the same situation and their only options were to replace the entire trunnion or cut off the tang and modify the receiver for an underfolding stock. Here's some links:

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84358
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?125557-MAK-90-Slant-Cut-signs

The last one is in reference to a Mak-90, but it could possibly work for your BIL's Maadi.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 9:43:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry if the emoticon upset you, I was just playing around with them because I had just figured out how to post pictures on the site. No offense was meant. I don't need someone to spoon feed anything to me. While I don't mess with AKs much anymore, back when you could buy an excellent condition parts kit from AIM, I did. I had one Maadi. I bought it one day and sold it t, the  next, because a friend wanted it. No profit, I just let him have it for what I paid for it. I had 2 CAI Romy AKs, that I had to replace the triggers in because of trigger slap, which I learned about on this sight. Also built one Romy G kit into a rifle, but had a guy do the riveting for me, as I didn't have the tools & didn't want to ruin something. I installed the barrel & everything else. I didn't mean to sound grumpy, but probably did. I am a retired Industrial Arts/ Vocational teacher. Machining is something I enjoy doing, but I don't think I want to take an AK receiver into a school shop to use their milling machine. I thought there might be some kit or adapter someone could tell me about. Again sorry if I came on too strong. Also thank you for the links. I think I am going to tell my brother in law to just buy another AK.

Mark
Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top