Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/3/2013 1:32:07 PM EDT
Atlantic has James river converted fixed stock maadi for 899 pictures look good

Anyone have experience with James river conversions ?

899 seems about average given the market

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/maadi-ak-47-fixed-stock-by-james-river-armory-detail.html?Itemid=0
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 8:25:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ATLANTIC-FIREARMS:
Ren if you are interested in the gun drop us a email we can offer a discount for you if you would like to do a informal review of the rifle.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/jrak.jpg

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/jrak4.jpg

It says on your website the rifle has a blued finish, but in the pictures it looks like a black painted finish.
Which is it?
Also, did they use their receiver or is it the Nodak spud receiver?
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 6:37:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 7:15:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Ren if you are interested in the gun drop us a email we can offer a discount for you if you would like to do a informal review of the rifle.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/jrak.jpg

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/images/stories/virtuemart/product/jrak4.jpg

I'll do it if he doesn't want to. I'm wanting to order one anyways.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#6]
US Barrel?
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 7:06:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes they have US Chrome lined barrels

Dang that's what I was afraid of, was hoping for original barrel
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 7:59:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By rentzington:
Yes they have US Chrome lined barrels

Dang that's what I was afraid of, was hoping for original barrel

Kits with original barrels haven't been imported for some time now. US barrels are just something everyone is going to have to get used to.
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 8:38:57 PM EDT
[#10]
is there an issue with American chrome lined barrels?  I know the original 5.45 barrels sucked
Link Posted: 4/8/2013 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:
is there an issue with American chrome lined barrels?  I know the original 5.45 barrels sucked

No. Someone will come along I'm sure and say that because they're not hammer forged they're somehow inferior. However, they won't be able to substantiate their claim. Personally, every AK-Builder barrel I've had (to include 5.45) has out performed every surplus barrel I've had in terms of accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree, the newer, American barrels are fine. Original barrels are like matching numbers, not really a big deal but for collectors it is. These Maadi's look pretty good. I would like to get one in my hands to compare with my Intrac.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#13]
These still available? , I'm having trouble with your website for some reason .Did anyone ever take you up on doing a review as I would be willing to do it
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 7:49:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ATLANTIC-FIREARMS] [#14]
Link Posted: 6/9/2013 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Since the James River version is sold out, Has anybody bought one of these yet, or am I going to be the first one?
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 10:05:59 AM EDT
[#16]
I have one held hostage at my dealer.  Other than the wood needing to be cleaned up it appears gtg.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I just took the bait and bought one. I was looking for a nice solid wood stock AK to go with all the other poly stocks and under folders I have.
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Ahhh yes, the CHF warsaw pact barrel, the finest machine-gun quality, hard steel barrel ever devised.  American barrels weak, bend like noodle!

I recall when Romy kits were monkey-model bottom-tier inferior AK crap, people would bend a flat and hammer the top rails, buy a $70 Bocephus kit, put it together, and then trash the gun.  One person thought it amusing to drag it behind his truck on a gravel road, for the BTDT look.  There was no discussion at that time, as I recall, of the superiority of the cheap Romy barrels.  They were obviously crap, as they were cheap.

Funny how things change, and how nostalgia colors things.

I still have yet to see any evidence that the Romanians used cold hammer forged barrels.  As I recall, the Bulgarians were advertised as having used Steyr hammer forging, but I do not recall that being the case for Romania.

What I do know is that every Romanian barrel I have slugged was 0.313 or 0.314, and commie ammo has never mic'd over 0.311 for me.  A 1965 Romanian non-G barrel stub and sections I have show chrome stripping on the land edges.  The throat looks new.  So much for the magical and legendary commie chrome lining.

I just cannot see how US barrels can be so much worse than the run-of-the-mill commie barrels.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:

No. Someone will come along I'm sure and say that because they're not hammer forged they're somehow inferior. However, they won't be able to substantiate their claim. Personally, every AK-Builder barrel I've had (to include 5.45) has out performed every surplus barrel I've had in terms of accuracy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AEnemaBay:
Originally Posted By MAKAK47:

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking hard at the Atlantic offering, feedback would be great.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Well after my normal hold with NICS,I really should get a UPIN, I brought my Madi home. First impressions are that Velocity Firearms did a very nice job assembling the rifle. Nothing like a Century build. I have not seen the James River builds so I could not make a comparison to Atlantic's previous offerings.

Right off the bat the only thing I do not like is the sloppy job someone somewhere did coating the wood in varnish or poly or something. I plan on stripping that off somehow and hitting it with the Arrow wood cleaner and preservative that I have. Double hook Tapco trigger,slant brake and I assume the barrel are the obvious American parts. Along with the No Dak Spud NDS-1 recieiver. I am pleased about the receiver though,I have an M70AB2 that I just put a No Dak receiver on,good stuff. Top cover marked in some kind of non-english along with the gas block and rear sight leaf. As far as the rear sight leaf is concerned I am not sure if this is real or a reproduction. There has been talk on AKforum of someone who is reworking new rear sight leaves into Egyptian models. Unlike my brother I'm not a purist,I just wanted a nice clean shooter. All the internals look like new old kit parts no wear showing at all. I did not have a bunch of metal shavings to clean out like some people have mentioned. The rifle was actually pretty clean except for the glob of sand in the back of the gas tube.
I hope to take it to the range this weekend. All in all it is a far better build than many I have seen,thank you Atlantic.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I just got back from the .range and I am very happy with this rifle. After cleaning and lubing all i did was slide the bar on the rear sight up one notch. I hit a steel shillouete at 100yds every time with no other adjustments. I am very pleased.
Link Posted: 9/17/2013 4:06:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Looking hard at getting one of these as well. You feel its a solid shooter?
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I was very happy with mine. I have several different AK's and after cleaning it it has been a very solid shooter. I would not hesitate to get another one if I did not have sbr fever at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2014 5:42:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Alright thats great I'm looking to get one but wasnt to sure how the build quality was
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 1:23:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I just ordered two of these from Atlantic Firearms.  Will post a review when they arrive this weekend.  This is the second purchase from AF.  I bought a sweet russian red saiga two years ago that is, in all honesty almost too pretty to shoot!!!!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/egyptian-maadi-ak-47-fixed-stock-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 4:56:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By bluechip68:
I just ordered two of these from Atlantic Firearms.  Will post a review when they arrive this weekend.  This is the second purchase from AF.  I bought a sweet russian red saiga two years ago that is, in all honesty almost too pretty to shoot!!!!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/egyptian-maadi-ak-47-fixed-stock-rifle-detail.html?Itemid=0

View Quote

Please do! I've been eye balling this AK for quite some time, just haven't clicked the buy button yet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Well my 2 Atlantic Firearms Maadi's came in on Friday and I was able to make it out to the range on Sunday.  First impression:  Beautiful looking rifles.  As I stated in my previous post, I have the Russian Red AK from AF and it's a thing of beauty.  I wanted something a little less "pretty" that I could actually shoot and not worry about putting a scratch on it.  The first rifle took us about 40 rounds to get it sighted in at 25 yards.  The second one was spot on right out of the gate with no adjustments.  Both rifles functioned flawlessly and exactly as expected.  In short, I love this rifle!   I'll try and post some pics when I get a chance.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:34:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluechip68] [#28]
Here are a few pics:

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:42:19 AM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Those are beautiful. Glad to hear everything was good with them. Like I said I was about to purchase from atlantic firearms after hearing your review. But...
I just had a ACC INTRAC Maadi w/ russian Kobra red dot and 5 nice mags fall into my lap for 650. I'm going to take this route. Only thing I need to look for now is some maadi wood to put on it.

Again, glad you got some good rifles. They look sweet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Wow, Arabic script! I love it! If they all have that I'd love to get one myself.
Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top