Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/16/2016 2:57:15 PM EDT
Are the gas system, bolt, bolt carrier group, trigger or other internal parts from an ak47 or ak74 rifle interchangeable with a vepr rifle in 7.62x39 with out modification?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:16:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Gas system: depends. Typically VEPR barrels are heavier and utilize RPK pattern barrel components which are oversized compared to AKM/AK-74 components

Bolt: depends. The bolt stem has to match the carrier that it's being used with and vice versa. Also, a bolt from a different factory will more than likely not headspace correctly with the VEPR, so that will require modification.

Bolt carrier: depends. See bolt. Gas piston length should be the same, although not sure if VEPR's utilize short or long stem pistons.

Trigger/hammer/ect: Yes, should fit fine. Emphasis on should.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:05:59 PM EDT
[#2]
the reason I ask is because of Maryland stupid laws. the ak rifle is banned. however the Vepr isn't.
we can not even have what they consider a copycat. they consider it a copycat if the parts to make if function are interchangeable, However I can have a rifle that looks like an ak47 so long as the parts are not interchangeable.

from what I am understanding is the magazines can be interchanges with a little modifications. i dont think this is an issues with the state because they ak magazines have to be modified with a bullet button.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the reason I ask is because of Maryland stupid laws. the ak rifle is banned. however the Vepr isn't.
we can not even have what they consider a copycat. they consider it a copycat if the parts to make if function are interchangeable, However I can have a rifle that looks like an ak47 so long as the parts are not interchangeable.

from what I am understanding is the magazines can be interchanges with a little modifications. i dont think this is an issues with the state because they ak magazines have to be modified with a bullet button.
View Quote

Well for all intents and purposes the VEPR is an AK, it's just based more so on the RPK, which is essentially just a heavy duty AK. So if your butthole is in danger due to state laws, I'd err on the side of caution.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
i don't have one yet. but the vepr is legal in Maryland as a hunting rifle,  but I want to change the stock to look like an Ak, as long as the parts are not interchangeable with out being modified it will be G2G.  but if the inner parts are able to be changed with the ak then it would be considered a copycat once I put my stock on.

the SVD is banned in MD, I tool a vepr in 7.62x54R and put a svd stock on it and flash hider on it and a forend that looks like one from a PSL, and it is 100% legeal because the PSL is not banned and the inner to make it work parts do not interchange with the svd
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#5]
As far as I've seen only the 308 and 54r VEPRs are Maryland legal.

Only the full size caliber ones are listed on the state police website. (If you didnt know, anybody can submit a rifle to the MDSP and have them approve or disapprove it http://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Firearms/FirearmSearch.aspx)
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:54:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had several ffl tell me that all vepr rifles are legeal in md.

In the "hunter" form they are  important in do not meet MD:s definition of an assist  rifle.
They are clear saying any magazine rifle must have flash hider. Folding stock or grenade launcher  for it to be considered an assist rifle.  The vepr as important only a magazine feed and doesn't have any of the other evil features.

They are  not listed as banned. So if not listed as banned one can argue that they are legeal. MD is very happy to list the rifles we can't have
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have had several ffl tell me that all vepr rifles are legeal in md.

In the "hunter" form they are  important in do not meet MD:s definition of an assist  rifle.
They are clear saying any magazine rifle must have flash hider. Folding stock or grenade launcher  for it to be considered an assist rifle.  The vepr as important only a magazine feed and doesn't have any of the other evil features.

They are  not listed as banned. So if not listed as banned one can argue that they are legeal. MD is very happy to list the rifles we can't have
View Quote

Yes, they pass the features test, but like you were asking in your OP, it is unclear if they pass/fail the "copycat" test (which is purposefully left up to the loose interpretation of the state police).

As I'm sure you know, Maryland does not care about our arguments. If you've got FFLs telling you that they will transfer you a VEPR in 762x39 by all means, buy one. Please shoot me a PM if so, because I'd like to pick one up and my FFL does not believe he can transfer them under the copycat ban.

ETA: Thinking about it a bit more, if the "Hunter" model is compliant, wouldn't the CA compliant VEPRs be MD legal then? They dont have flash hiders or folding stocks, just mags and pistol grips. I think every FFL in the state would have them on their walls if they could.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I will send you a pm with the dealer that I know will transfer any veper.

I am sure that they don't have them is because of the obscure way the law is written. Many of them are  scared or don't know the laws.
I went to Fred's to try and get a vepr in 7.62x54r  and they went to the website and didn't see that caliber listed either as approved or banned and refused to even talk about it. I did get a call from them about a week latter asking me to come in and talk about ordering it.  I found one on a dealers wall and asked about it and if they will sell it to me. They called a few people (not sure who) then they got the go ahead. A few days latter the 7.62x54r was listed beside the 308 as approved.
My argument is sound the rifles don't fit the definition of assault rifle according to MD standards (as imported ) AK magazine with out modifications will not work in the veper, so the internal parts needed to make it work are not interchsngable. I don't know yet first hand but it was stated above the gas system may be slightly different because of the heavier barrel.  If that is the  case the states issue with copycat will definitely be out the window.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:58:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top