Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/13/2016 12:44:21 PM EDT
I've got a 5.45 Saiga that I did a rear conversion years ago.  I really am collecting clones now, so it makes sense to me to send it in and have a shop convert the entire thing.

Any ideas on the ballpark of what this would cost?  If it's too much, I'd be better off buying an SGL-104fr.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends on what you mean by clone.

You can easily convert a Saiga to a fixed stock rifle and use Bulgarian parts for the front end and it won't be too expensive. You'll have a functional shooter, but that's not a true clone.

Clone is making the rifle as close to an AK74M as possible. That means AK74M front end parts, proper 5.5mm folding stock with PG plate, Russian black poly furniture, proper muzzle device and selector markings at a minimum, including a professional builder that knows this type of conversion. If that is what you are after it will be considerably more expensive than any fixed stock conversion, and may be just easier to by an SGL31-94 rather than put the effort into getting your 5.45 Saiga to that configuration. SGL31-84 and 31-94's are already converted to be very close to 74M rifles out of the box and are the best place to start. Unfortunately that boat has sailed and they are extremely expensive when you can find them.

As far as the SLR104 goes it is not a 74M at all and does not make a good clone, though it is a hell of a rifle and worth the price. They make great early 80's pattern rifles with laminate furniture, and can use plum furniture too. If you don't care about the modern AK74M in all it's details it will be cheaper to buy an SLR104 and call it a day than to get your Saiga to the same level.

Again, this comes down to what you mean by clone. You can put black poly furniture on an SLR104 and will basically look the same as a 74M. The devil is in the details as they say

http://russianoptics.net/AK74Overview.html for a few photos and a quick overview on the 3 main eras of AK74s

Z
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top