Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/9/2016 10:23:36 AM EDT
I'm going to buy a 20'' Molot VEPR in 7.62x54R.

I want to change the stock and foregrip to make it look more like an AK. Also, I'm left-handed and not sure how that thumbhole stock would fit me, plus I just don't like the looks of it either.

I've seen pics of them with polymer AK furniture on them so I know it can be done, but how difficult is it to do ? I'm very good with tools and working on things, and I do most common gunsmithing stuff myself, so fitting and assembly wouldn't be any problem.

After I buy it then I'll ask what to get and where to get it questions. I just want to know now, how hard is it to convert one to the AK look ?

Thanks.

OK, I bought it and it should be here in about a week.

Now I need to know where to get the rear adapter that converts the slant to a square back and the front clamp that holds the lower foregrip on. Anybody know where to get these parts ?

ETA: Scroll down to about 5th post for the pics and write up about the 2nd update.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Forty5Cal

Fellow southpaw here with 20" VEPR in the 308 variety.  After doing a bunch of research there's a quite few options out there for furniture. I'm assuming yours will be a slant-cut receiver?

-Ronins Grips. Cool looking polymer furniture but It's a one man shop so you would have to wait.
http://shop.roninsgrips.com/Russian-Vepr-Furniture-Set-Buttstock-Grip-and-Forearm-VeprFurnitureSet1.htm

-SGM Stock Adapter. Would allow you to put an AK buttstock on
http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/VEPR_Wood_Stock_Adapter_internal_block_p/sgm-int-sleeve-adpt.htm

-Canis AR Adapter.  Seems to have a good reputation on different forums. This is what I have on back-order.
http://www.canisdesigngroup.com/vepr-slant-m4-fixed-stock-adapter.html

-Ironwood Designs is now making an AK-style stock for the VEPR. Scroll down to the bottom of this link to take a look.. I emailed IWD and they are for sale. Throw me a PM and I can forward it too you.
http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDRD.html

What are you planning on doing for optics?  Being left handed reduces the amount of options.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Babarsac: Thanks for the links. Yes, it's a slant cut receiver.
The Ironwood Designs stock looks great but I'm going with black polymer on this. My AK is wood and every rifle I own has wood furniture except my AR-15 so, I'm doing something different with this rifle.

I wasn't sure about the slant adapter at Carolina Shooters being the right one but now I am and I'll get that ordered. Thanks.

I've also been doing a lot of research and already found and ordered the lower handguard retainer from Arms of America. They have 10rnd mags for sale so I got 2 of them. They're a bit pricey at $42 each but they're the only ones that have them in stock. They've already shipped the stuff out so I should have it on Monday.

I was at a gunshow yesterday and ran into the vendor I bought my AK stock set from. I've bought several things from him in the last few years and always gives me a good deal. I told him what I was doing and he helped me pick out all the parts I needed and, again, gave me a discount on everything. I got a poly upper and lower handguard with heat shield, pistol grip with finger grooves that fits my hand perfectly and are U.S. made, a new gas tube and slant cut muzzle brake. He had a new fixed stock there but I'm going to get a collapsible one from Midway.

All I need is the slant adapter and buttstock and I can start putting it together as soon as it arrives.

I am not going to put optics on it yet. Why do you say the options are limited there ? Does the mount favor the right side more ? Is the scope off-center to the right ?
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Forty5Cal

Glad to hear your build is progressing along.

In the case of optics most of the Russian scopes are offset which make it a little harder for southpaws like us.  There are picatinny/weaver mounts out there which align center over the bore, however I do like the look of Ruski optics.

Be sure to post pics of your build as you go along and so will I.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I finished swapping out the VEPR's wood stock and foregrip and replaced them with a polymer set.

Here is a pic of the rifle before:
" />

Here it is after the swap out:
" />

Then a pic with my ''regular'' AK:
" />

I went with an Archangel 4 position collapsible buttstock with 7 position adjustable cheek piece and a soft rubber pad in case I add optics later. The PG and foregrips are also U.S. made as well as the two 10 round SGM Tactical mags so I'm well over the 922r requirements already and I may change the trigger group to a Tapco G2 later.

As you can see there's not much difference between them and they almost look alike other than the wood and poly. The obvious differences are the barrel length and magazine size. I still have to put a muzzle brake on it, not sure yet what I'm going to go with but I don't want a flash hider, I like the big fireballs it throws out. Just something to tame the recoil a bit.

I was going to post pics of the ''build'' as each piece went on, and I did take pics of each stage, but it only took 2 days to complete. I was a little anxious to get this put together and didn't want to spend valuable work time pausing to post the pics, sorry.

Anyways, I think it turned out pretty good. I took my time and belt sanded off the large amounts of material then used a file to bring each piece to final size for a perfect fit. Nothing is loose or rattles and the slant adapter with the stock in it is very sturdy.
I can't wait to get out to the range and shoot this thing, I really like it ! I wanted the AK look and I think this did it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Installed a ironwood design stock set on my vepr today they do nice work.

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top