Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2016 5:17:04 PM EDT
Okay I'm a AK newbi and don't know anything about them but I have vepr in 7.62 54r

I want the lowest mount possible with picitinny on top so i can use one of my old scopes.

What/where would I need to buy?

I want to see how well this shoots.

Thats

Update  got crushed cases as well as 5-6 inch groups-this thing is a POS

will pot pictures later

video of shit rivet job, how would you fix???

Link Posted: 8/23/2016 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're willing to spend the money for a high quality mount, RS Regulate is the way to go:  http://rsregulate.com/optics.php

The 303 lower in combination with the AKR upper will yield what you are looking for.  Not the cheapest option, but certainly one on the best.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're willing to spend the money for a high quality mount, RS Regulate is the way to go:  http://rsregulate.com/optics.php

The 303 lower in combination with the AKR upper will yield what you are looking for.  Not the cheapest option, but certainly one on the best.
View Quote

thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Some other mounts worthy of consideration:

MI

UTG Pro

SM-13

Molot

The MI mount is decent.  It does not center over the bore on my .308 Vepr, it is offset to the right about 1/8".

No experience with the UTG pro, but the few posts I have read on it are all positive and it is made in the US.

The SM-13 is another quality mount.  Mine centers over the bore perfectly on my .308 Saiga, haven't tried it on either of my Veprs.

The Molot mount comes from the same company that manufactures the Vepr.  It centers perfectly on my Veprs and has served me well over the years.

Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:17:55 AM EDT
[#4]
The MI mount fit perfectly on both my 7.62x39 and my 308 Vepr.  Absolutley nothing wrong with it and it held zero after removal and reinstall, but as said before the rs regulate setup is adjustable to all rifles and just looks badass IMO, its what im currently running.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on the MI mount.

I run two of them on different rifles and both are perfectly centered , clap tight and repeat zero quite well.

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
bought the rs

installed a alg trigger-da bomb

spent 300 on match ammo to see how well it will shoot.

currently gonna mod the stock to get the cheek weld correct

2k AK
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
currently gonna mod the stock to get the cheek weld correct

View Quote

I did the same on one of my .308 Veprs (I have two).  I like the feel of the factory thumbhole stock, but the cheek weld sucks with optics.
I sanded the comb of the stock down flat and added a Karsten cheek rest.  Outstanding cheek weld with the Karsten.

For a trigger, I installed a heavily massaged Arsenal two stage.  Buttery smooth and very predictable after giving it some work.  Great for precision work.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the stock add on. I think my cheek bon would hit the front edge. same problem I have with prs stocks

I already took some material off the thumb side of the stock, too wide for me at the top. couple minutes with a gouging chishel and i have a fitted stock.

I think I'm gonna make the top flat and add back a piece of walnut, kinda like a svd, maybe make it adjustable.

have too see when I get the rs up and running.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Post pics of your stock set-up when it's finished.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The MI didn't line up with the bore on mine, it was way off. I took the UTG off my WASR just to try and it lined up nicely and so far has been sturdy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:53:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Post pics of your stock set-up when it's finished.
View Quote

RS installed-very nice design. its very flexible, as it has to be for AKs.

Stock was SVDish inspired. I wanted to flatten in out and remove the monte carlo cheek rest as it doesn't work at all IMO. I was going to make it fully adjustable and then I shit canned that idea when I realized nobody would shoot it but me.

it was kinda sad curring it up-the stock is actually very nice.

I don't plan on de-scooping it so its set. Damn high as well, Aks are just not made for scopes.

I had to close off the end of the cutout (unplanned), for some reason the center of the stock is hollow-I dont know why they would make it that way.

Anyway its been bubbafied but I want to see how it will shoot.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't want to hack up my original stock either, so I bought a second one to hack on.  The stock in the pic of my .308 Vepr that I previously posted is not original to the rifle, the original stock remains unmolested.  If for some reason you decide to pick up a second stock some day, make sure it comes from a .308 or 7.62x54r Vepr, the stocks for them are dimensionally different than the other calibers to accommodate the longer magwell.
What a lot of people shopping for AK scope mounts don't seem to realize up front is that the scope mount is rarely the limiting factor on how low you can get a scope on AKs.  What usually ends up stopping you from going lower is the fact that the scope's objective housing needs to clear the rear sight/base.  I always end up going with taller rings than I desire just to get the objective to clear the rear sight.
Curious to see what kind of accuracy that rifle delivers, especially if you're running good ammo through it.

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Curious to see what kind of accuracy that rifle delivers, especially if you're running good ammo through it.  
View Quote

is 5-6moa at best. it might be trying to keyhole some rounds.

PPU 182 gr, 5 moa, terrible

S&B match 172 gr,  could not stay on paper at 100yards, at 50 7 moa,

Silver bear was the best groups

The bottom of the chamber is catching the necks/shoulders of brass round and destroying them. The S&B will not chamber, the PR has the shoulders creased.

I just rounded over the sharp edge of the bottom, didn't remove too much.

BTW the plastic mag will not chamber without some force, the edge of the feed lips has spread causing it not to fit.

This rifle is a POS so far

Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#14]
photo of crushd necks/shoulder crease
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#15]
That is unfortunate.  I have no experience with the x54r Veprs, so I don't have anything of value to offer up.

What's the next move?  More experimenting with different loads?  Warranty claim?

Csspecs will have their x54r Vepr mag available soon (link below).  Not worth dumping anymore cash into the rifle if the accuracy remains so dismal obviously.

http://stores.csspecs.com/vepr-7-62x54r-10-round/

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn, sorry to hear that as well. Veprs are usually quite well put together and have a stellar reputation

Any other mags you can try to see if that helps the rounds feeding? Also any steel cased surplus you can run through it?
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:23:49 AM EDT
[#17]
That doesn't look right. Something is borked.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#18]
So, the rivets securing the side rail to the receiver are loose?  If so, can you get additional crush on the rivets (assuming you have access to the tooling) to tighten it up?
Otherwise, file a warranty claim or re-rivet the rail (new rivets) yourself.  Going from memory, there are only 2 rivets securing that rail to the receiver.

Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So, the rivets securing the side rail to the receiver are loose?  If so, can you get additional crush on the rivets (assuming you have access to the tooling) to tighten it up?

Otherwise, file a warranty claim or re-rivet the rail (new rivets) yourself.  Going from memory, there are only 2 rivets securing that rail to the receiver.

View Quote

yep two rivets and now its tigged to the reciver

updat pic looks like the rs mount is shit, gouges metal after shot, which leads to wedging on the mount twisting the entire thing

Link Posted: 9/5/2016 2:23:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to hear of your travails (dumping mega cash into a rifle and it sucks).

Your feeding problems are most likely due to a bad feed angle from the mag, but I'd expect to see damage at or below the shoulder of the cartridge. Your cases show fubarred necks. If you're into tinkering, carefully check the path from the feed ramp to the chamber. Break any edges you find with the Dremel tool and appropriate bit. Pull the FP from your bolt and try chamber rounds until you see no more damage to case.

Your RS problem could be due to improper tension on the clamp or the dovetail angles are screwed. Also Check to see that the rear stop area is square. You may need to square up the rear of the rail if you see any bevel.

Before doing anything try using your irons with the rifle benched and see how it groups to see if you really want to go any further with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#21]
First given what you have stated about the magazine feed lips appearing to be damaged, that your current magazine(s) may be damaged and causing these feed issues, which based on your pictured damage to case necks, are surely affecting accuracy. The CSSpecs mags are top notch and  higher quality than OEM, I would just go straight to them.

I creeped your Photobucket and saw this photo of your rail, and this jumped out at me. Your side rail looks modified from OEM and this could be causing issues with your optics mount.

Your VEPR side rail looks like this

while it should look like this

As you can see the side rail has a flat stop surface near the rear rivet, which is where the mount indexes on the rail in order to return to zero. Yours has a strange bevel on it that is normally not there, and doesn't look original. It looks like this altered area of the side mount is exactly where your RS Regulate mount clamp is showing some damage.

Did you modify the rear of the rail, or did it arrive like that? Is the gun used?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:17:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I creeped your Photobucket and saw this photo of your rail, and this jumped out at me. Your side rail looks modified from OEM and this could be causing issues with your optics mount.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/IMAG0152_zps1g3nkfri.jpg~original

http://www.molot-usa.com/images/VEPR_CONF-6.jpg

As you can see the side rail has a flat stop surface near the rear rivet, which is where the mount indexes on the rail in order to return to zero. Yours has a strange bevel on it that is normally not there, and doesn't look original. It looks like this altered area of the side mount is exactly where your RS Regulate mount clamp is showing some damage.

Did you modify the rear of the rail, or did it arrive like that? Is the gun used?
View Quote

That's jacked up.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#23]
What's your expect from a trash can gun?
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's jacked up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e303/taylorwso/IMAG0152_zps1g3nkfri.jpg~original

http://www.molot-usa.com/images/VEPR_CONF-6.jpg

That's jacked up.

The end of the RS mount does not have enough ass on it to engage the two sides of the rail where it indexes. I filled in the "groove" with weld so the RS mount will but against the end of the AK mount and not move forward.

yes it had been narrowed/beveled down, so a mount could slide easily on it im gueessing.

New from atlantic

the weld fixed the bad mount index issue.  Look at the picture on the 1st post of where the RS mount was gouged, it does not have enough aluminum to engage where the vepr AK mount has the grove.

I still has to tig the mount to the reciver- fucking two rivets in the same plane didn't hold dick and the mount basically was a hinge
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#25]
as far as accuracy the best I could do it about 3" with match SB ammo, 2"-2-5" wit PPU 182gr and the best was silver bear with 1-5"-2" groups

The mount is tight but this thing is just a piece of shit.

RS said they will replace th mount for a new one.

This ill be the last Slav gun I buy, they just can't get it done. I have no idea why so many people rave about them, they sure as shit cannot shoot like everyone on the net as assured me they will.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
First given what you have stated about the magazine feed lips appearing to be damaged, that your current magazine(s) may be damaged and causing these feed issues, which based on your pictured damage to case necks, are surely affecting accuracy. The CSSpecs mags are top notch and  higher quality than OEM, I would just go straight to them.

View Quote

its the gun- I tried multiple mags.

I fixed the problem by knocking the edge of the bottom of the chamber, It was sharp as shit. I hit it with a carbide rasp and it feed all ammo now.

Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:01:37 PM EDT
[#27]
I completely understand your frustration with this particular rifle, but Veprs in general have a pretty good rep for being quality rifles in terms of build quality, reliability, and accuracy (relatively speaking).

Being an AK-based rifle, they will never hang with some other rifles in terms of accuracy, but many Veprs will do better than yours.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 12:16:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I fixed the problem by knocking the edge of the bottom of the chamber, It was sharp as shit. I hit it with a carbide rasp and it feed all ammo now.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good but be careful,  54r headspace on its rim and therefore changes to the chamber face can affect headspace
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's good but be careful,  54r headspace on its rim and therefore changes to the chamber face can affect headspace
View Quote

I'm aware, I literally broke the edge. I couldn't not believe how sharp it was.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Breaking the edge of chamber with Dremel etc...no biggie...it's like that on many factory AK's with a notch or step leading into the barrel or chamber..
Did it on my RWC converted Saiga with the wrong Bullet guide and its fine now.

The moment u saw or figured a rivet or the side mount was messed up though u should've contacted Atlantic...
They have a reputation for great customer service.

Since u tig welded the mount to the receiver though I would say there's not a chance they would do anything for u now and seeing as u said your an AK newb  you should of gotten more advice before welding on the gun.
I had an OPAP that would jam and the action would ride over a round in the mag because the selector stop plate was not properly fit or something...
cNC Warrior replaced the gun with a new one...

Veprs are nice or great guns...
The action on mine is smoother than all my other AK's and the fit and finish is best...
It's still an AK though...not a bolt action tack driver...
1.5 MOA at 100yrds is great...
Handloading would seek the guns potential and loads.

Link Posted: 10/14/2016 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

you should of gotten more advice before welding on the gun.

The action on mine is smoother than all my other AK's and the fit and finish is best...

View Quote

its fixed now, the mount is better than anything from the factory would ever be. IMO it should be welded as it gives a more secure fit.

the accuracy was a disappointment simply because of what I've read, I was expcting close to a AR but its just not there.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:41:05 AM EDT
[#32]
what does it shoot at 100, in a lead sled, using the iron sights?

mine is minute of softball
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
what does it shoot at 100, in a lead sled, using the iron sights?

mine is minute of softball
View Quote

best is 1.5" at 100  with scope and steel ammo
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Theses guns are not designed as match rifles  even the svd,  psl dragnof. Are not match grade rifles. They are ment to engage man side and larger targets not put lot of holes in little groups
So soft ball size isn't unexpected.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:30:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Damn that sucks. Best group I got so far at 100 yards with Wolf 174 grain or 148 (can't remember but I think this was 174). From lead sled, has trigger job

I have the Kalinka Optics mount, it almost rezeros (could be me not locking it in the exact same spot)

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 1:24:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

its fixed now, the mount is better than anything from the factory would ever be. IMO it should be welded as it gives a more secure fit.

the accuracy was a disappointment simply because of what I've read, I was expcting close to a AR but its just not there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you should of gotten more advice before welding on the gun.

Please show me the AR that shoots better than 1.5 in.  I have my credit card in hand
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Please show me the AR that shoots better than 1.5 in.  I have my credit card in hand
View Quote

are you being retarded for a reason???

go look at the moa all day long thread

click me to lose your edges

I have multiple ar10s that will, even posted about it before, you can waste your time looking at my threads from 8ish years ago

again I hope you're not this dumb
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Here ya go -

@ 100 yds with 168 gr AMAX -
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:14:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I completely understand your frustration with this particular rifle, but Veprs in general have a pretty good rep for being quality rifles in terms of build quality, reliability, and accuracy (relatively speaking).

Being an AK-based rifle, they will never hang with some other rifles in terms of accuracy, but many Veprs will do better than yours.
View Quote

My 308 VEPR can get close to 2.5 moa with the same 168 gr Hornady AMAX that I use in my home brewed AR10, however, the groups seemed to wander a few inches left and then a few inches right...never a consistent POI.  I got frustrated and put it in the back of the safe.  Not a bad shooting stick but man..wandering POI is just no go for me.

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top