Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/5/2016 9:30:20 AM EDT
I've been out of the firearms market for a while, but recently a trade has come up for my Saiga in .308.

I don't have much use for a round as heavy as a .308 anymore, especially when I already have a Rem700 that can outshoot it anyway.

The guy wants to trade me a Saiga in 5.45. That was exciting initially because i know the things are hard to find now and I've always wanted a rifle chambered in that. However, I've noticed prices have climbed from what they were, and there seems to be worry that the upcoming election could be the end of 5.45. Is this a baseless worry, or would you be hesitant to pick up a rifle chambered in 5.45 right now

I also say this because I have a second possible trade partner who has a Saiga in .223.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've been out of the firearms market for a while, but recently a trade has come up for my Saiga in .308.

I don't have much use for a round as heavy as a .308 anymore, especially when I already have a Rem700 that can outshoot it anyway.

The guy wants to trade me a Saiga in 5.45. That was exciting initially because i know the things are hard to find now and I've always wanted a rifle chambered in that. However, I've noticed prices have climbed from what they were, and there seems to be worry that the upcoming election could be the end of 5.45. Is this a baseless worry, or would you be hesitant to pick up a rifle chambered in 5.45 right now

I also say this because I have a second possible trade partner who has a Saiga in .223.
View Quote

I would trade for the 223 around instead. Ammo will always be easier to find. 5.45 as you are seeing is climbing.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I opted for a Saiga in .223 just because of ammo availability. Mag price are about the same for the 5.45 as .223.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I think it's a baseless worry. Hornady has already stepped up and produced domestic 5.45 that is actually really good. 5.45 surplus  is still widely available and is about 25 cents a round shipped and isn't going to disappear for a while

Z
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

IF this election ends up being the end of 5.45, it will also be the end of 308 and 223.  

With that said, I hope you made a trade (or didn't) and are happy with what you ended up with.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top