Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/7/2016 8:11:53 PM EDT
I had 2 SGM Tactical and 1 Surefire (both types appear identical except manufacturer) and after I converted them and went to the range, They jam up on the 2nd round each time. All of my Magpul and Bulgarian mags worked 100% with the installed bullet guide in the Saiga converted AK. Are these SGM mags known to be problematic even in a Saiga Sporterized/carbine without a conversion on it? I never shot the Saga in it's factory carbine configuration with the un-modified mags. TIA
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:17:29 AM EDT
[#1]
SGM = "Surefire Gun Mags", they are the same company. I've used their 7.62x39 mags before in unmodified Saigas with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I had 2 SGM Tactical and 1 Surefire (both types appear identical except manufacturer) and after I converted them and went to the range, They jam up on the 2nd round each time. All of my Magpul and Bulgarian mags worked 100% with the installed bullet guide in the Saiga converted AK. Are these SGM mags known to be problematic even in a Saiga Sporterized/carbine without a conversion on it? I never shot the Saga in it's factory carbine configuration with the un-modified mags. TIA
View Quote

SGM = Surefire

WHY would you convert the mags?  The whole point of those mags is they work in Saigas without a bullet guide (unconverted or conversions without a bullet guide)

NO, the SGM mags are EXCELLENT when used as they should be - in a non-bullet guide Saiga (converted or otherwise).

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

SGM = Surefire

WHY would you convert the mags?  The whole point of those mags is they work in Saigas without a bullet guide (unconverted or conversions without a bullet guide)

NO, the SGM mags are EXCELLENT when used as they should be - in a non-bullet guide Saiga (converted or otherwise).

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SGM = Surefire

BIGGER_HAMMER

I converted my Saiga and installed a Bullet Guide in it. Also, I have a Yugo so i wanted to use the SGM mags in both AKs. Now they have FTFs after every first round shot after the mag is inserted. The portion I opened up on the front of the SGM mags is similar to the opening on AK mags. I'm thinking the followers within these mags is not compatible with the bullet guide being more forward than the built in bullet guide that was removed from the mags. Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#4]
could be the followers, but could also be that you took too much off the front and it's causing the 2nd round to to nose dive. Kind of hard to diagnose w/o pics. Go buy a combloc mag if you don't have one and compare.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 9:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I converted my Saiga and installed a Bullet Guide in it. Also, I have a Yugo so i wanted to use the SGM mags in both AKs. Now they have FTFs after every first round shot after the mag is inserted. The portion I opened up on the front of the SGM mags is similar to the opening on AK mags. I'm thinking the followers within these mags is not compatible with the bullet guide being more forward than the built in bullet guide that was removed from the mags. Thoughts?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

SGM = Surefire

BIGGER_HAMMER

Your problem is in those highlights.  

I'm sorry to share my educated opinion that my guess is You pretty much trashed those mags at this point.

Some things are designed for specific tasks / purposes (Bullet Guide or Non-Bullet Guide)  

You could try some Yugo 5.56 M85 mags or Bulgarian Circle 10 5.56 mags and see how "regular" 5.56 AK mags work.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I ran 180 rounds through the converted Saiga with standard AK mags and had 100% reliability. I threw the proprietary Saiga mags in the trash as it appeared to me that the followers were not going to work with the modifications I performed on them. I didn't take too much off, as I compared them to standard combloc mags and check them installed as well to ensure proper fitment and height.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a peek at this list for any tips that might apply~

http://www.dinzagarms.com/downloads/223_mag_options.pdf

I converted some Weiger mage for my VEPR in 5.56 and the Weiger, Circle 10's and factory VEPR plastic mags all run fine.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_80/161214_Fitting_Weiger_5_56_mags_to_a_VEPR.html
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top