Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2016 12:49:10 AM EDT
I had to modify my Saiga 7.62x39 bolt to fit into an AKM style (Hungarian SA85) trunnion by taking a slight bit of material off the locking lugs. Are AK bolts heat treated all the way through or do I need to case harden my locking lugs?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#1]
They are case hardened.

How are you using it?  The Saiga bolt is not even compatible with the Hungarian carrier stem channel size or locking cam geometry
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Because reasons, I had to replace the Saiga trunnion and barrel with a Hungarian trunnion and Bulgarian AKM barrel. In order to get the bolt to fit (not just headspace as the locking surfaces were incompatible with my bolt) I ground a bit of metal off the locking lugs and slightly modified the angle so that it would rotate into battery. Maybe that wasn't the best idea?

I have headspaced the barrel and it checks out. I will case harden the lugs after removing the firing pin and extractor.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:39:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey if it works, it works. Just hope it stays that way.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top