Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/10/2016 7:59:02 AM EDT
I'm looking for a Veper in 54R and came across this one at AF:

Definitive Arms DAMR VEPR 54R Price: $1,345.00

Definitive Arms has added the ever popular Russian Vepr Rifle in 762 x 54R to their line up of rifles. The DAMR is  designed to be a Dedicated Marksmen Rifle for customers wanting increased accuracy with the reliability of the Kalashnikov operating system. The Russian Vepr rifles offer a superior base rifle to build from and Definitive Arms takes it to the next level . Each rifle is hand selected before starting the Enhancement program to pick the cream of the crop . The 23 inch barrels are cut down to 18 inches and Match Grade Target Crowned to improve the accuracy . The barrel is threaded to 5/8 x 24 to allow a wider Avrit of muzzle brakes to be used and the gun is ready for your favorite sound suppressor ! Definitive also checks to make sure the iron sights are dead on and straight and aligned to the bore of the gun . The action of the gun is further improved with smoothing of the working surfaces including fire control . The DAMR is totally refinished in the durable dark black Definitive arms finish for the final touch . Comes with 2 -5 Round Russian factory mags , SGM 10 round mag in pictures sold separate .

Product Details
-Barrel cut to 18"
-Barrel Match Grade Crowned for increased accuracy
-Barrels checked for proper head spacing and adjusted as needed.
-Barrel threaded in 5/8-24, Front Sight Block face machined perpendicular to bore, shoulder is square and Suppressor Ready .
-Custom machined G2 trigger groups for use in 54R VEPR receiver.
-G2 tuned and polished
-Front sight block aligned to bore (gas block original factory installation)
-Action smoothed out
-Magwell beveled
-Chamber polished
-Refinished in Definitive Arms Black Durable Finish

Weight: 8.4lbs
Length: 39"

I haven't heard of Definitive Arms before( I'm not into AKs very much) and I don't know their rep. So, here are my questions:

How good are they at this type of work? I see nothing at their web page even talking about this rifle?

Is this a good price for the work that was done?

Will this really be more accurate?

I was just looking for a plain Veper in 54R, but I've only found one for $1000, so for another $400 is it worth it?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/10/2016 9:02:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Definitive Arms does nice work. Whether or not that gun is worth the money to you, I'm not sure. It seems like VEPRs are a bit more available now, so I don't know that you'd have to drop $1k to get one.

That being said, if you were looking to suppress one, that's definitely right at the top of my list for what I'd consider in that caliber. Having the barrel rethreaded (and already check for concentricity) would be nice, and things that you'd otherwise likely be paying extra for if you were planning to put a suppressor on one. It's something I've been considering, but it's not a top priority right now.

Just kinda depends on what you want to do with the rifle. VEPRs are very nice rifles, if you haven't handled or shot one before. They're a bit heavy (they have a heavy barrel and an RPK receiver), but usually pretty accurate. Having one that's been gone over would be nice, but if you aren't suppressing it I'm not sure the value is there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not looking to suppress it, so that isn't a plus for me.

I would like to put a bi-pod and a louder on it.

I mean a muzzle break.

It would have interested me more if they had put another stock on it

I did find a 20" barreled Veper for $800 at KVAR.

This rifle would be more for hunting then a sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
In my opinion, all a Vepr needs to be a good hunting rifle is a decent trigger and an optic.  Anything else is fluff IMO, spend money on it if so desired but don't think that you need to.

I've been playing and hunting with .308 Veprs for years.  The more crap I put on them, the more I realized that it really wasn't producing tangible results down range.

Both of my .308s went from stock to heavily modified, and then back to nearly stock again.  Lesson learned.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:21:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my opinion, all a Vepr needs to be a good hunting rifle is a decent trigger and an optic.  Anything else is fluff IMO, spend money on it if so desired but don't think that you need to.

I've been playing and hunting with .308 Veprs for years.  The more crap I put on them, the more I realized that it really wasn't producing tangible results down range.

Both of my .308s went from stock to heavily modified, and then back to nearly stock again.  Lesson learned.
View Quote

Good to hear, I have a 7.62x54 on the way and am only planning on adding a tac30 in a MI mount.  Most likely a couple of those 10 rd mags as well.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top