Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2015 5:19:23 AM EDT
I'm in the market for another AK. I have an Saiga 12 and a Serbian M92 PAP SBR but have been a little bit out of the AK game for awhile and could use some help. I'm browsing what's available, including the Saiga IZ-132. Question: what's wrong with them? Why do they cost so much less than, say, a bulgarian AK? I'm fine with doing the conversion myself, I already did my S12 and it was easy. I know the 132 requires a bullet-guide to work with mil surp AK mags properly, but this is small potatoes. I've watched the conversion process on youtube and it's pretty basic. I plan on running a Magpul Zhukov hand guard and folding stock. Conversion kit from CSS. What am I missing? Why do a lot of other AKs sell for much more and seem to be in more demand? Are people just skurred of the conversion process or...?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#1]
There are so many AKs out there, already in "Battle Form" that folks just go the easy way.  Some of us like the real deal Russian made.  I have had 6 Saigas (actually 7, including my current one) and have restored all but the current one because I live in Kalifornistan, where if I leave it stock, I can use my legally possessed by me in California prior to 1-1-2000 High Cap mags.  Get a saiga.  Restoring it is almost as much fun as doing a build.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I can tell you I sat poised over my 1st SAGIA conversion with dremel in hand for about an hour before I finally got the balls to start the conversion. You spend so much of your time with firearms dreading that 1st scratch, or that little bit of rust. It can be a daunting task to some. The biggest obstacle, at least before the Magpul craze, was finding the proper parts to do a conversion back to spec. Parts just dried up and the cost of conversion just wasn't worth it anymore, at least to some.

I say go for it, and have fun!
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Haha!  I understand that "first scratch" pain.  I actually did a full restoration on my last IZ132, including some Russian (red) wood AKM furniture.  It was so pretty when I was done, I hated to even take it out and shoot it.  Then I got offered a stupid large amount of money for it, and sold it. Now I am happy with my "modified" factory saiga, which is really the best option in California.  It is naturally "Featureless" with no assault rifle features, so I can use my possessed by me prior to 1-1-2000 high caps.

Last Saiga:

Current Saiga:

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I love me some Saigas and Zhukov! Good choice OP. Also I used the same vendor you mention for parts. These guns have been nothing, but perfect for me.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are so many AKs out there, already in "Battle Form" that folks just go the easy way.  Some of us like the real deal Russian made.  I have had 6 Saigas (actually 7, including my current one) and have restored all but the current one because I live in Kalifornistan, where if I leave it stock, I can use my legally possessed by me in California prior to 1-1-2000 High Cap mags.  Get a saiga.  Restoring it is almost as much fun as doing a build.
View Quote

Inserting a "High Cap Mag" violates 922(r).  Most cops wont know, especially in CA but you never know...

I just moved to Virginia from California.  I made all my rifles in CA featureless too.  Featureless makes you CA legal but doing high caps (and Im assuming you installed the bullet guide too) is a definite no-go with the feds.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Inserting a "High Cap Mag" violates 922(r).  Most cops wont know, especially in CA but you never know...

I just moved to Virginia from California.  I made all my rifles in CA featureless too.  Featureless makes you CA legal but doing high caps (and Im assuming you installed the bullet guide too) is a definite no-go with the feds.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doesn't violate 922R when you have enough US parts, like I do... But thanks for asking ! LOL
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top