Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2015 8:53:29 PM EDT
On Gunbroker I found a AK-103 style SAIGA for sale. It's marked Russian American Armory and it has a Y stamp near the scope rail, other than that it looks like a SGL21. Does anyone have any information on these rifles quality and if it has a Russian made barrel. The listing says it has a rate reducer but in a semi-auto I'm not sure what that means. Any help would be appreciated.

Link to auction
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=514751429

Link Posted: 10/16/2015 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#1]
RAA was the importer of Saigas around 2004ish.

They did not convert the sporterized rifle, so that was probably a home conversion. Its all Russian except for the FCG and whatever else was used for 922 compliance.

The guy doesn't know what he is talking about in regard to a rate reducer. He might mean it has a recoil buffer installed.

Quality is good, but That rifle is way overpriced.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#2]
the good news, it is a rare version of SAIGA that came in with the "I" and "Y" stamps plus w/ Cyrillic selector markings. Used to be a quite sought after version for those who wanted to make a 100 series rifle before the SGL's started coming in. Bad news, way over priced and a halfway done conversion. You'd think if someone was going to take the time to remove and install barrel components they would do the rear conversion properly too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the good news, it is a rare version of SAIGA that came in with the "I" and "Y" stamps plus w/ Cyrillic selector markings. Used to be a quite sought after version for those who wanted to make a 100 series rifle before the SGL's started coming in. Bad news, way over priced and a halfway done conversion. You'd think if someone was going to take the time to remove and install barrel components they would do the rear conversion properly too.
View Quote

What part of the conversion was left off? What would have been a reasonable price? Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:09:12 AM EDT
[#4]
the whole rear end was a bubba conversion.

For that price, the rifle should at a minimum have a new trigger guard riveted in and the holes welded up. Personally, I'd expect a side folder conversion too at that price.

If you could find a 74 dimpled trigger guard, and are anywhere near Houston, I would do it for you for free.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the whole rear end was a bubba conversion.

For that price, the rifle should at a minimum have a new trigger guard riveted in and the holes welded up. Personally, I'd expect a side folder conversion too at that price.

If you could find a 74 dimpled trigger guard, and are anywhere near Houston, I would do it for you for free.
View Quote

I disagree. The rear end is fine and it looks as good as most Saiga Conversions I've seen.  The reciever is clean too.
I would FO without issue if it's Under $800
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
RAA was the importer of Saigas around 2004ish.

They did not convert the sporterized rifle, so that was probably a home conversion. Its all Russian except for the FCG and whatever else was used for 922 compliance.

The guy doesn't know what he is talking about in regard to a rate reducer. He might mean it has a recoil buffer installed.

Quality is good, but That rifle is way overpriced.
View Quote

IMHO It doesn't look all Russian to me. The front sight and most likely gas block, lower handguard retainer are Bulgarian (muzzle sticks out past the front sight block). Also the gas tube looks to be from an AKM as I don't see a retention spring. Rear sight leaf is also an AKM part, most likely Bulgarian. If it were mine for having a "Y" saiga I would use Russian AK100 parts. Definitely way overpriced...
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Well time for an anticlimactic end for the decision on wether or not I was going to buy this rifle. I emailed the seller to see what exactly the "rate reducer" did in this semi-auto rifle and I got an email back saying "Please do not bid on this rifle, I think someone interested local." I guess I'll just wait til a SGL21 pops up on the EE or GunBroker.

Thanks for all the input
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I was always under the assumption of provided information that those Saigas were Venezuelan Saiga overruns.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top