Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/29/2015 11:11:07 PM EDT
I bought this:

https://www.coppercustom.com/shop/definitive-arms-rifles/definitive-arms-556-pmag-ak-wm4-folder/

...and I'm wondering what she prefers to eat. Obvious choice is either the Wolf or Tula in .223 but I was wondering if I should go M193 5.56 brass cased like the PMC X-Tac. Not sure if there's any real benefit. I realize I could buy 60 rounds of everything and just take her to lunch but I'm looking to see what the experience seems to be from others in my position. I just want to buy a 1,000 rounds to start and just keep buying the same thing ad-infinitum.

It's chambered in .223 Rem (but we all know they do that for import camouflage), has a 16" hammer forged chrome lined barrel and has 1/9 twist rifling (or so I believe based on my research). This leads me to believe that whatever I pick it should be 55gr. I usually shop for ammunition on LuckyGunner but I'm up for suggestions on that as well. Thanks guys / gals!
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
You won't know until you have it.  Besides twist rate there are still sometimes minor inconsistencies in bbl forging ans chrome plating that can affect the rifles preferences with various bullet types and weights.

That being said the 1/9 twist is generally intended for 55gr, you may find that it stabilizes heavier bullets just fine.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you, sir for at least confirming my 1/9 twist rate = 55gr assertion. More to the point of my thread, do you have any experience with Molot Veprs chambered in .223 Rem and the types of ammo they prefer? Essentially what I'm getting at is what is the best ammunition that I can stock up on? Keeping in mind cost VS performance. Is there really a difference between .223 and 5.56 when we're talking performance with this specific AK variant? I will say, that I'd rather go M193 5.56 in brass just because there may be a time where I would be handing off a magazine to an AR-15 carbine user and I don't want any issues. Any thoughts?

EDIT:
I just noticed that part. I do, in fact, have it sitting right next to me fully equipped with all of my desired accessories. All I need to do is take it out to the range. Just trying to find a consensus on what I should bring for "lunch".

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You won't know until you have it.  Besides twist rate there are still sometimes minor inconsistencies in bbl forging ans chrome plating that can affect the rifles preferences with various bullet types and weights.

That being said the 1/9 twist is generally intended for 55gr, you may find that it stabilizes heavier bullets just fine.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry I don't own a Vepr, but I do own a Saiga 223, which is manufactured on nearly identical tooling and processes, as Izhmash and Molot most likely manufacture barrels on  the same equipment. The Saiga is simply a lighter barrel than the Vepr. They are both 1/9 twist.

I have never really taken the time and effort to do what is necessary to get the rifle to shoot tighter than 2MOA or so when scoped, and with that standard of performance it shoots about the same with all grain weights - 55gr, 62gr, 75gr. It may be possible that if I put some attention into handguard tension, removed the cleaning rod, and cleaned up the FCG it may tighten up with one particular load, but 2MOA is more than enough out of an AK to satisfy me.

I've had a good amount of AE 50gr tipped varmint rounds, the Saiga doesn't like them and doesn't stabilize very well, they're all over the paper.

One person on another forum I'm on had a few Saiga 223 rifles and had them slugged out of the box - the bore diameters varied by a couple thousandths. Most likely due to chrome plating inconsistency.

As far as brass vs steel, the rifle will most likely not care. The only thing I would say about that is that you'll most likely get better QC on any brass-cased .223/5.56.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:13:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks again. I just came back from the range a couple of hours ago. I shot 6 30rd Gen M3 Magpul magazines full of American Eagle XM855. I got palm sized groups standing at 25 yards. Everything was slightly to the left. I didn't bother adjusting my iron sights or Aimpoint T1 I have set up for lower 1/3rd co-witness because I'm waiting to do that with some M193 or 55gr .223 ammunition. All in all, a good break-in to get her used to spitting lead. What I guess I'm going to have to do is just get a box of .223 TulAmmo, a box of .223 Wolf WPA, a box of .223 PMC Bronze and a box of 5.56 PMC X-Tac. Just run them slowly through my 10rd magazine and see what gets the best group from the bench. Then stock up on the winner. That's about all I can do. I'll report back in this thread and perhaps a new one with my findings. It'll probably be some time but it'll get done. Hopefully somebody with some personal experience will be able to chime in here soon to narrow down my candidates.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry I don't own a Vepr, but I do own a Saiga 223, which is manufactured on nearly identical tooling and processes, as Izhmash and Molot most likely manufacture barrels on  the same equipment. The Saiga is simply a lighter barrel than the Vepr. They are both 1/9 twist.

I have never really taken the time and effort to do what is necessary to get the rifle to shoot tighter than 2MOA or so when scoped, and with that standard of performance it shoots about the same with all grain weights - 55gr, 62gr, 75gr. It may be possible that if I put some attention into handguard tension, removed the cleaning rod, and cleaned up the FCG it may tighten up with one particular load, but 2MOA is more than enough out of an AK to satisfy me.

I've had a good amount of AE 50gr tipped varmint rounds, the Saiga doesn't like them and doesn't stabilize very well, they're all over the paper.

One person on another forum I'm on had a few Saiga 223 rifles and had them slugged out of the box - the bore diameters varied by a couple thousandths. Most likely due to chrome plating inconsistency.

As far as brass vs steel, the rifle will most likely not care. The only thing I would say about that is that you'll most likely get better QC on any brass-cased .223/5.56.
View Quote

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top