Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/1/2015 8:59:02 AM EDT
I just received one of the Legion USA Saiga to AKM conversions.  They do a standard conversion and then add Russian wood, AKM 45 Degree gas block, front sight, and thread barrel for slant break.  Only the wood is Russian, the gas block and front sight are surplus and not Russian.  The work looks OK, but the top dust cover is not a correct ribbed AKM cover.  The orange colored Russian surplus wood set is beautiful.  The barrel threading, gas block and front sight installation could be better, but are acceptable and almost completely straight.  I now realize that there are more differences than just the gas block and front sight between the Saiga and a AKM.  But to get it closer in general looks, I need a correct AKM ribbed top cover.  I tried a DDR top cover and it did not seem to fit well in the front and the finish is not correct.  Could someone recommend a more correct late AKM style ribbed top cover that will fit a Saiga?  Also, where to get one that is correct and painted black.  I was hoping to get a Russian receivered rifle that looks as much like an AKM as possible.  All replies and help appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Your best bet would be to place a WTB or WTT add in the EE under the AK sections and see if anyone has a Bulgarian ribbed one, or even a Russian one they'd be willing to part with or trade you. A lot of them will be numbered parts, so you may have to then contend with a non #'s matching cover.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
pics of the rifle?

I've been looking at these
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:28:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Sorry, no camera for pictures.  They do look as good as the pictures on the website.  The old holes on the side of the receiver are welded up nicely (can't tell where they were). Looks good externally.  Only gripes are the gas block and front sight pins could be nicer (more rounded and uniform looking).  Barrel threading could look better and the CNC Warrior slant brake that they modded needs more finish.  They could have changed out the gas tube for a more AKM looking one (without the tension spring).  I have also not been able to get the gas tube off yet.  It catches just as it is almost off.  The gas tube lock lever is also stamped and looks different than most AKM levers.  It needs an AKM top cover, selector, and mag catch.  Also, the internals are not the same as an AKM, the bolt and carrier are different.  I guess the Saiga bolt has a narrower shaft and the carrier has a narrower slot for the bolt.  The piston and return spring guide are also Saiga pattern and not AKM style.   Most of these are not easily seen and with a few mods it should look more AKM like on the exterior.  I wanted a foreign made rifle that looked the most like a Soviet AKM (with a Russian made rifle being a plus).  I do not know if the price is worth the result based on what I was looking to obtain.  I have ordered a black painted AKM top cover and hope it will fit.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest getting an AK-74 ribbed cover instead, because the Saiga safety won't work properly with an AKM cover. The Saiga safety is designed to slip into a small lip in the AK-74/AK-100 cover, which an AKM cover doesn't have. You could use an AKM safety on the Saiga, but it won't index properly for safe/fire positions on the Saiga receiver, as the receiver is missing those indents. The Saiga safety is designed to catch on the upper and lower corners of the receiver stamping.

AK-74 covers are pretty easy to come by as well. Bulgarian covers will fit right onto the Saiga as-is. Most people wouldn't notice any difference between the AKM and AK-74 cover at first glance, it will look pretty much correct with the ribbing..
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top