Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/14/2015 1:51:03 PM EDT
There have been many posts regarding this issue. I have seen most and they have not been helpful.

I spent the whole night last night trying to get this pin off the FSB.
As you can see in the pictures, the first one: closer to hand guard, came out in 5 minutes.
On the other hand, I hammered on the other for more than an hour. Shit will not move a tiny bit but only deform.
I'm beginning to think it's not a pin and I'm only destroying my gun.

It looks like I'm gonna have to get a vice. I haven't tried heating.

Sincerely in need of help!

Thanks,
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 11:33:32 PM EDT
[#1]
What you need to do is first soak it in Liquid Wrench or Kroil penetrating oil.  Take a block of 2x4 about 6 inches long, and using a table saw,set at 45 degree angle to cut a 1/2" deep V notch down the middle of one side.  Put the wood block on a sidewalk or concrete patio, and lay a towel  on the concrete adjacent the block for the rifle to lay on. Lay the barrel and FSB in the notch in the block.  With a good quality hardened punch, take a 40 oz. machinists hammer, and whack it out.  It will come out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 3:07:01 AM EDT
[#2]
That sounds like work. I will grab a wd-40 and  give it another try...
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
no rhyme or reason to it, but some pins just do not like to come out.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 1:23:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I had to buy a vise to get the last guy out. Im now wondering why I didnt get an already converted ak.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]

because it's worth it in the end my friend

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#6]
The key to removing those pins is having the part in a rock solid, supported position. Use a wool block as suggested above and clamp the barrel and wood block down on a sturdy table. You want to be able to focus on a good hold on the punch and a solid smack with a large hammer without the barrel moving around at all.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you planning on reusing this FSB, or swapping it out?  If you don't mind destroying it, you can cut a groove along the side or bottom with a Dremel cut-off (Fiberglass) wheel.  Be careful not to cut too deep or you may damage the barrel.  After the groove is made, stick a flat screwdriver into the groove and twist hard.  This will usually pop the FSB loose enough to remove it and the pins from the barrel.  

Is it possible that these FSB's are also press-welded like the military rifles are?  I don't see the dimples, but that would be a pain to remove.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:14:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Pop it a few times from both sides until it moves. Be very careful using heat. I use hockey pucks as backers for knocking pins out. Finally, use a bigger fucking hammer
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 3:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Gentlemen,

I am sad to inform you that I took the easier path. I sold it amd got an Arsenal.
Thank you all for the comments.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 12:58:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gentlemen,

I am sad to inform you that I took the easier path. I sold it amd got an Arsenal.
View Quote

See. Every problem does have a solution.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gentlemen,

View Quote

You're sad? Ok, send me your Arsenal then, that should make you happy.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top