Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/1/2014 2:41:13 PM EDT
I tried to search current and archives, and I could not find much on this.  Forgive me if it has already been discussed.

I have a VEPR 308 that I have been working on.  From factory config I have changed stock to Magpul CTR, added ERGO pistol grip, and a RSA adjustable trigger.  The trigger is a nice upgrade and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  The gun also wears a Millett 1-4 scope in a cheapo-mount.  I finally got a change to shoot it this weekend after the trigger update.  I was hoping for an increase in accuracy over the stock trigger, but not so much.

For comparison, I shot it about 3 weeks ago pre-trigger change and was putting together 1.5 MOA 3 shot groups.  I was shooting from table and chair using range bag as a support.  This weekend I was shooting prone using an ammo can for support.  It was windier, and I do not know how much that affects it at 100 yds.  I shot all kinds of factory ammo since my reloading stuff has not been setup after moving this summer.  With 150 gr Remington soft points, 168 grain Winchester Super X, 165? grain Nosler Match Grade, and 165? grain Ted Nugent TTSX ammo I was shooting about 3 moa.  I know conditions were not perfect, but it seems the gun could do better.

My plan going forward is this:
1. Upgrade scope mount.  Looking at something from MI, Kalinka, etc.
2. Get reloading stuff setup so I can start rolling my own.
3. Further upgrades to make this a better pig gun.

One big question hangs in the back of my mind: Can I get this down to 1 MOA accuracy or better with better ammo and a few upgrades?  If you tell me VEPRs cannot do 1 MOA then maybe I should cut my losses and move on.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 2:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I tried to search current and archives, and I could not find much on this.  Forgive me if it has already been discussed.

I have a VEPR 308 that I have been working on.  From factory config I have changed stock to Magpul CTR, added ERGO pistol grip, and a RSA adjustable trigger.  The trigger is a nice upgrade and I would do it again in a heartbeat.  The gun also wears a Millett 1-4 scope in a cheapo-mount.  I finally got a change to shoot it this weekend after the trigger update.  I was hoping for an increase in accuracy over the stock trigger, but not so much.

For comparison, I shot it about 3 weeks ago pre-trigger change and was putting together 1.5 MOA 3 shot groups.  I was shooting from table and chair using range bag as a support.  This weekend I was shooting prone using an ammo can for support.  It was windier, and I do not know how much that affects it at 100 yds.  I shot all kinds of factory ammo since my reloading stuff has not been setup after moving this summer.  With 150 gr Remington soft points, 168 grain Winchester Super X, 165? grain Nosler Match Grade, and 165? grain Ted Nugent TTSX ammo I was shooting about 3 moa.  I know conditions were not perfect, but it seems the gun could do better.

One big question hangs in the back of my mind: Can I get this down to 1 MOA accuracy or better with better ammo and a few upgrades?  If you tell me VEPRs cannot do 1 MOA then maybe I should cut my losses and move on.
View Quote

Yes, you could, as long as you don't mind that it will be one 1 MOA group in a set of many 1.5-2.5 MOS groups.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes, you could, as long as you don't mind that it will be one 1 MOA group in a set of many 1.5-2.5 MOS groups.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't want a "lucky" 1 MOA.  I want 1 MOA consistently given the correct conditions of little wind, good support, and custom reloads.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
You really want a stable rest if your shooting groups. A hard surface such as an ammo can will mess with you a lot.

Cross winds can effect shots a fair amount. A 10mph breeze will move point of impact 1", if it was windy (over 10 mph) with a shifting direction then you could see deviation of over two inches.. No rifle shoots straight in the wind, its just a force of nature you must factor for.

That said a Vepr .308 is generally around a 1.5 to 2 MOA rifle, which for hunting applications is generally more than enough. If you need more than a high end AR .308 or a higher end bolt action may be advisable.

Look through the "1 MOA all day long" challenge to get some realistic numbers from really high end rifles to get an idea of what you should be expecting.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#4]
.308 AR
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

.308 AR
View Quote
if you have to have 1 moa every time this^

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Honestly the accuracy is pretty decent for a piston operated action. M14s are not much better, despite all the lore that exists around them.

Try your rifle again on a calm day, it may be sufficient for your use.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Try Brown Bear. You need to get off the idea that $$$$$ is the only factor involved in accurate ammo, the rifle was made to shoot steel-cased ammo.

I think it's capable of 1MOA, maybe not all day every day. My 16" .308 certainly shot quite a few 1 MOA groups, almost never shot over 2". 1.5 MOA is plenty good for hunting unless you plan on making regular 1200 yard shots.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:03:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a scoped  ( 1-4) Vepr but its in 7.62x39. It shoot around 2 MOA with certain ammo. I would figure a .308 Vepr would capable of a little better than that since better ammo is readily available.  If consistent 1 MOA is the goal I would go with a cost effective DPMS Gen2. MAC  was getting sub 1moa groups just  adjusting for zero.
If you are after a sub-moa target rifle I do believe that the Vepr is the wrong rifle for you though (and I say that as the owner of 2 Veprs.).  I had a $600 bolt action Savage that would do MOA consistently, A DPMS that would do the same.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top