Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/16/2014 6:00:23 PM EDT
Hey guys, I posted this in GD but I'll post it here as well for more responses.

Where I work has one (no price). I'm doing a little research to see where the market is on these and if I want to make an offer on it. I do want an AK.

It is marked ZDF SLC UT which leads me to an importer in UT from google.

It has polymer furniture (which I would ditch for wood). Its in fantastic shape...

What are they worth?

Questions I have include:

How difficult is it to swap to wood furniture since it is a slant receiver? Where could I find the furniture? Although it looks like there is an adapter....adapter Are there different length buttstocks available? If so what are the differences? Also, how difficult would it be to say...cut the barrel down and make it a SBR? Looks like 1 pin holding in the front sight...

It is heavy. Why is that? Because it is well built or just because...

Link Posted: 10/18/2014 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a older VEPR-K from Robinson Arms. It's not the same rifle as the recent VEPR imports and I don't believe the adapter you linked will fit that version. The slant on the receiver is different.

You could SBR it with a Krink style front sight/gas block combo. It's probably easier just to buy an AK pistol and put a stock on it. Up to you really.

It's so heavy because of the thicker receiver (1.5mm vs 1.0mm) and bulged front trunnion.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 12:35:32 PM EDT
[#2]
If you remove the stock keep it,dont get rid of it.The value with the original stock is pretty high on those Robinson Arms models.

I saw 2-3 sell like yours for $1300-1500 in original condition just a few months ago.

Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
heavier receiver and thicker barrel
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
You'd probably get more answers here.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Correct, RPK reciever and heavy barrel.Without the box,etc i would guess a solid $1000 maybe more if you find the right buyers.

Gunbroker will net the highest price, selling locally will probably bring the price down to $800-1000 in a local gun shop.

Remember most people dont know the difference between AK models and wouldnt know the value of a Robinson Arms Vepr.

I personally wouldnt let one go for a penny under $1000.If you can get it under $1000 its a good deal.I wouldnt pay that if you plan on taking the stock off though.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#6]
The front hand guard is also much heavier than it looks. It's so solid and heavy, you could literally beat someone to death with it. The wood hand guard in the other hand is surprisingly light

Edit- the "beat someone to death" is a poor example of its sturdiness, but hopefully you get the picture
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:46:09 AM EDT
[#7]
For the Love of God, if you buy it--feel free to change the furniture all you want, but PLEASE don't Bubba it....  I believe you have the absolute right to do whatever you want with your personal firearms, but cutting and whacking on something that will only increase in value if left unchanged....Besides if weight is a concern, grab a regular Saiga and go freaking nuts on it; they are pretty common and have no "extra" collector value like the old Robinson's do.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to pass on it and let the store get the money out of it.

I'd rather have a gun that is a bit more standard or maybe build one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Ace sells a adpater block for there folding stock for them
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:28:46 AM EDT
[#10]
THE robo arms VEPR is the very best AK you can get. Very accurate and highly valued by collectors. KREBS makes a slant cut adapter to attach a folding stock and you do not cut the Tang to mount it (never cut the Tang). ULTIMAK makes a gas tube rail for it to mount front optics but their under rail does not fit. Lastly, some have trigger slap but the Tapco double hook trigger can fix that.  $1000 is a fair price.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wait, are you saying the Robinson era imported and modified Veprs from Molot have
thicker receviers and barrels than the latest versions of Veprs by Izhmash?

I know the slant cut receivers on the Robinson Veprs are slightly different then recent model Veprs.
Are there any other differences that make the Robinson Veprs more desirable (other than Krebs gunsmithing during that era)?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 $1000 is a fair price.
View Quote

But Centerfire Sys was selling Vepr 308 at $499 not long ago! Honestly I just can't imaging any AK worth 1K even a Vepr. If I have 1K, I will buy a AR10. I do have 2 Vepr 308 from Centerfire when they were selling at $499 and converted them with muzzle brakes and pistol grips. I wish I can sell them at 1K!
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top