Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2014 7:25:27 AM EDT

I have an interest in obtaining a good Russian AK47, similar to my Arsenal SLR-107FR.  It doesn't have to be a side folder though.  Anyway, I know that some of the manufacturers are banned now and that most of them seem pretty hard if not impossible to get at this time.   However, assuming I can find one someday, which manufacturers and models are regarded as being the highest in quality?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 6:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Saiga's and Vepr's are the only Russian AK's on the market. "Best" is subjective, but alot of people seem pretty happy with their Veprs.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 7:47:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the information.  I guess my question was not exactly clear.  What I am wondering is "if" I can get a banned Russian AK47, or the banned ones ever become available again are there any others made by other Russian manufacturers besides Vepr and Saiga?  If so, which ones should I consider?
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
...are there any others made by other Russian manufacturers besides Vepr and Saiga?
View Quote

For commercial "importable" sales, nope. Saiga's are made at Izhmach, Vepr's at Molot. Tula makes (or at least made) stuff for their military, like Krinkovs.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

For commercial "importable" sales, nope. Saiga's are made at Izhmach, Vepr's at Molot. Tula makes (or at least made) stuff for their military, like Krinkovs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...are there any others made by other Russian manufacturers besides Vepr and Saiga?

Okay, thank you.  I guess I am leaning towards a Saiga because I hear Vepr's are heavy and some people have problems finding parts for them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Okay, thank you.  I guess I am leaning towards a Saiga because I hear Vepr's are heavy and some people have problems finding parts for them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

VEPRS are better then saigas IMO, by a decent margin

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Classic Arms has the 762x39 IZ132 Saiga for like $630... YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:05:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Side by side, my Vepr looks like a more quality build than my Zastava M92.  Better finish and cleaner machining , tighter fit of pins and cover... etc.  The Vepr is noticeably heavier than a friends M&M and Norinco... not much heavier , at 8 lbs  the Vepr has about 1-2lbs on most AKs ( I dont where the M92 keeps the weight... but it is a heavy little beast) One or 2 lbs is far from make or break to me.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I would be hard pressed to buy anything but a Izhmash Saiga. Start with a still somewhat affordable IZ132 (if you want 7.62x39) and build it into whatever you want.  Check the saiga forum below.  Start with the picture thread at the top, and you will see more variations built on the basic weapon.

Saiga 7.62x39 forum
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:21:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Back when you could get Veprs at 500$ they were the best AKs on the market.  Now that Veprs are 1000$ they're still the best AKs on the market.  That should tell you something.  When you handle them, look at the way the BCGs are machined, the thickness of the barrel, the way the recievers are made, the way the selector snicks off properly without too much effort, the straightness of the sights... they're just better than pretty much anything else that's out there in the stamped field.  The only thing that really compares to a Vepr is an Arsenal milled gun, assuming you don't mind the weight, and if you do mind the weight get a SLR 104 or 107.  Those are great guns as well, they're well made and have all of the modern features (plus you don't have to work on them to configure them like a military rifle), but the overall fit and finish is a grade below the Vepr.  

Saigas are not bad, they're just too expensive compared to comparable AKs on the market.  Unconverted Saigas are the price of Yugo AKs, which are just as nice, and converted Saigas are 30%-40% more expensive than Bulgarian SLRs.  If you want a side-folding SGL-21 or 31, prepare to pony up Polytech Legend amounts of cash.  They're just not worth what people are paying for them, but they're doing it because of the percieved rarity.  I remeber when they ran around 580$ for the SGL-21s and about 700$ for the SGL-31s, my LGS had a SGL-31 that they just sold for 1900$.  Veprs on the otherhand came in the country around 500$ for slant backs, 650$ for straight backs, then after the ban they shot up to around 750$ and have been creeping up ever since.  Given the quality levels and what the Veprs I own mean to me, I wouldn't part with mine for less than 1000$ each, that's just what I think they're worth in terms of comparable quality.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#10]
As far as parts availability with Veprs go. I bought 2 Veprs , one converted ($900) and the other original ($700). I think that should cover any parts issues in the future.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:13:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Have both Saiga's and VEPR's--VEPR is built like Soviet tanks, is a STRONK rifle.  Saiga seems "whippy" by comparison.  I converted my one VEPR to more of an RPK look, made my Saiga more like an AK74.  VEPR is built on the heavier receiver, and is STRONG (and heavy..)
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Saiga will be anything you need in our part of the world as far as ak's go. Add a slidefire and call it good. My rig can hit headshots at 365y all day w/ Wolf sp's.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Saiga's you might consider your modern FORD,GM,Import daily driver. Stamped sheet metal vs VEPR your HD truck Dodge Ram 25/3500 F_2/350. The VEPR machined and has a heavier barrel.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top