Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/12/2014 8:30:33 PM EDT
I dunno if it's even worth doing, but my curiosity is itching...

Take a Tigr sporting rifle in 7.62X54 and ad the parts to convert it into a SVDS Sniper rifle...

This has probably been discussed ad-nauseum here, so if this has ben discussed before, then just delete it, but still, my curiosity itches, since I'd love to ad an SVD to my collection.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm lucky as I have both, as dragunov has said there is quite a bit of difference in the receivers and the SVDS receiver is also thicker than a SVD receiver.

My two Russian ladies, the SVD will soon have a Soviet laminate stock and handguards fitted.

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#3]
There are one or two people in the US that can do the modification but the prices are very high for obvious reasons. As mentioned you have to cut the Tiger receiver off in the rear and weld the SVDS receiver stub in place. This requires an exacting amount of precision because the optic rail is also cut during the process and the SVDS stub portion must also be perfectly aligned with the original rail. The gas system will remain the stock Tiger system because the SVDS barrel has a larger OD than the Tiger and the parts don't fit easily. For the flash hider a shim is welded to make it fit but it was explained to me that the gas system is too finicky to go that route.

Probably the only realistic way to get the parts is to find someone in the UK or Russia who is willing to buy a complete deact rifle then have it cut up and the parts sent over. In particular the SVDS receiver stub has to be cut in a certain place to be sure it will fit the Tiger receiver.
In this day and age the deact rifles seem to be very rare and Russian customs in particular seems to be clamping down on parts leaving the country. Absolutely none of this will be cheap, or quick either so if you decide to commit expect for the project to take a long time, possibly years.

Z
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The SVDS we have in the UK uses the same larger o/d barrel as the Military version.It may sound odd but over here a welded up deactivated Dragunov is not far off the same price as a live fire one at around £1800 for a deac (thats GBP not Usd!) and around £2100 for a live fire version.Over here the SVDS is rare, mine is one of around 6 in the country and the SVD is almost as rare as not many have been imported.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:51:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Over here the SVDS is rare, mine is one of around 6 in the country and the SVD is almost as rare as not many have been imported.
View Quote

Are they rare because they're hard to import, or just due to lack of interest?
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 3:24:54 AM EDT
[#6]
They're rare as there is only one UK importer, there's long waiting times from Izhmash (I believe another batch has been on order for at least 18 months) and I don't think it's widely known they are available.I would say the majority of UK shooters who have military style rifles either shoot AR types or old military bolt-actions like Enfields, Mausers and Mosins etc.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:04:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm lucky as I have both, as dragunov has said there is quite a bit of difference in the receivers and the SVDS receiver is also thicker than a SVD receiver.
View Quote

I think the barrel is thicker too, is that correct?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 1:11:18 AM EDT
[#8]
The SVDS has a shorter thicker barrel,thicker receiver,shorter muzzle brake, no adj gas regulator and the sidefolding stock and pistol grip.It is also noticeably heavier than the SVD.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]
The gas pistons are different also and not interchangeable as I understand it

Z
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:57:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Forgot about the gas piston......but we aren't allowed those
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#11]
The SVDS uses a 10.5mm piston which is 1mm larger than the 9.5mm piston used in the SVD and Tigr.

My custom made SVDS piston, still need to send it out for hardening.

Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#12]
$3k de-act, then trusting someome to cut it right, then not having customs confinscate it, then paying another $2-3k for a re-weld on your existing tiger.  Its a BIG risk.

My RPK74M was nabbed by the Russians a few years ago and by buddy had to goto court over it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Can anyone tell me how to get a Monte Carlo stock for my Russian Tiger Dragunov.
I have the original thumbhold stock but to be complied with California Laws I have to switch to Monte Carlo stock.

Here is the stock i am looking for:

http://www.dragunov.net/stocks.html

Here is my original Tiger:

I appreciate any info where and how to get the stock.

Thank you

Link Posted: 11/21/2014 7:49:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top