Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/21/2014 7:36:40 PM EDT
Took my 54R VEPR (AKA Wildman) to the range last week to check zero. Brought along some Russian 148gr and 182gr Privi to do some group comparisons. 20 rounds into the shoot I noticed some weird spattering on my 25yd  target. Shot a few more rounds to see if it continued or got worse. Couple next to me pointed out something had fell off my rifle. Turned out to be the top half of my Tapco Intrafuse brake. I inspected the muzzle and sure enough pieces of what was left of the brake was breaking off and hitting the target. No damage to the rifle or anyone at the range. The range I go to have those muzzle blast boxes that you shoot through. Good thing!
Question is how did this happen? I was shooting the heavier 182gr when it happened, so the blast from the muzzle with the 16" barrel may have been too much for the cheap tapco brake. No obstructions before shooting it as I made sure it was clean before shooting it and never had a problem with this particular brake either.
Can someone recommend a nice, durable, and fairly inexpensive brake that will reduce as much recoil as possible? Something that will keep me on target during rapid fire drills.
Pics of what was left.
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/striknine/IMG_0109_zps61026c30.jpg
http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/striknine/IMG_0110_zps2263a943.jpg
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:01:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I recommend the Manticore Nightbrake  Its fairly inexpensive, and works very well with x39.  I would be very interested to see if results are the same with 54r
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I put a PWS FSC47 on my 54r
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I did the JP Cooley Comp on the 54R (see big thread). worked well and built solid.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top