Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/30/2014 10:30:05 PM EDT
I'd like to first start with Hi.

Please pardon if this has been discussed, but while I tried, I could not locate a thread similar.

I have a Saiga 7.62, converted (with appropriate parts count) to use normal mags. I swapped the trigger out with a Danzig one.

Since doing this, I'd put around 225 rounds through it, maybe 300 rounds total. One jam (I think mis handled?)

Now to the nitty gritty. The image shows roughly where the crack is. It is cracked roughly 2/3 through (it is only thin stamped metal), and slightly bending downward (maybe 2 degrees). Try as I might, I can't get a good picture, but it is clear something is causing friction on it.

I know this is quite vague, and to be honest I'm half tempted to just ignore it (it being an AK...) BUT, an ounce of prevention and all that.

Note: the crack is ONLY on the interior stamped part (that looks like a bolt guide). The red line is the crack location.
http://i.imgur.com/zTe15Qc.gif

Thank you!

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 1:30:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you sure it's not the end of the rail right where the front trunnion begins?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you sure it's not the end of the rail right where the front trunnion begins?
View Quote

Real pics will help. Yeah, but i agree pending pics
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:32:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Yep, it's the part indicated, and not the trunion. I'm usual pretty good with mechanical things, I'm rather perplexed.

I'll try and get a couple pics up, but I can't figure it out on my phone.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 2:33:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, it's the part indicated, and not the trunion. I'm usual pretty good with mechanical things, I'm rather perplexed.

I'll try and get a couple pics up, but I can't figure it out on my phone.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:12:43 AM EDT
[#5]
is there any gauging or peening on your bolt carrier?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Any update?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Photos?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:36:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Ack, limited online-ness makes this increasingly difficult for pictures. Anywayhere's what I have for pics. Other than some surface rub, and what I'd expect from movement, I don't see anything that shows excess wear...

http://i.imgur.com/ujRN11Q.jpg

The white area (upper part of photo was flash. The area doesn't have much wear at all.

And thank you all for the help.

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:45:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Yup that's the rail ending up against the front trunnion. You're good to go.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#10]
So the crack and slight bend is no big deal? I mean I know it's an AK, just making 100% sure I'm alright before I start shooting it again. I do very much appreciate your input, I'm not that familiar with rifles... yet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not seeing a crack anywhere, but the downward bend is normal. Looks the same on my SGL31. I'm guessing they do that to make sure the bolt lug won't hang up on it on it's way back.

After reading your first post again maybe I can help explain what is going on. The downward bend is the end of the rail that is spot welded to the receiver. It's butting up against the front trunnion, which is riveted to the receiver. While it may look like a sheared and bent piece, they're actually two different parts. Hope that clears it up a bit for ya.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 5:11:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not seeing a crack anywhere, but the downward bend is normal. Looks the same on my SGL31. I'm guessing they do that to make sure the bolt lug won't hang up on it on it's way back.

After reading your first post again maybe I can help explain what is going on. The downward bend is the end of the rail that is spot welded to the receiver. It's butting up against the front trunnion, which is riveted to the receiver. While it may look like a sheared and bent piece, they're actually two different parts. Hope that clears it up a bit for ya.
View Quote

so if it was actually damaged you could replace that part, which is a nifty feature of stamped receivers
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Alright, I'll keep shooting her, but keep an eye on it. Good to know that I can replace the part if need be, I thought it was spot welded or some other fastening method I can't do.

Thanks everyone! I very much appreciate the peace of mind.

-Kris
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Alright, I'll keep shooting her, but keep an eye on it. Good to know that I can replace the part if need be, I thought it was spot welded or some other fastening method I can't do.

Thanks everyone! I very much appreciate the peace of mind.

-Kris
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 4:25:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like a crack in the middle of the white flash, on the ejector rail, correct?
Or is it below that in the picture because that almost looks like a piece has already broken off?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:12:30 AM EDT
[#16]
i do see the crack your talking about. i have 4 ak's and none of them are cracked there. one is also a saiga 7.62 brand new. no crack in my rail
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#17]
SOrry for lack of responses, been dealing with home stuff...

Anyway, yep, the crack is indeed in the middle of the flash, on what I think is the ejector rail. Hasn't gotten worse yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it. Currently, she's out for some work, so I can't do a side by side of pic to current state.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top