Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/13/2014 4:37:31 AM EDT
Is it possible to remove the heat shield from gas tube on a saiga 7.62 rifle???
I searched high and low on the net and only found a couple blurbs in forums about it. Nothing more.
Looking for a solution cause gas tubes are scarce  for purchasing.

So is there a clean way of removing the heat shield from my gas tube that came with my saiga?
I did my conversion...with problems here and there....and now when trying to install the top handguard it wont seat flush
to the bottom because of the heat shield.

the handguard is the MFT intergraded rail system
http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/mft-quad-tekko.htm

Any help or video is appreciated.

TIA
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 11:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Couldn't wait for anyones reply any longer so I took a chisel to it and popped it off.
In case anyone was curious there are 4 weld points . Just vise grip the block and chisel it.
I filed down the rough points and repainted and it looks just as new.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
mind posting pics?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

mind posting pics?
View Quote
This.

And what kind of issues did you run into when doing your conversion?  I just converted mine and had a couple of tough spots, but nothing that couldn't be overcome.  I'm curious about yours.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:37:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Yea, the shield is easy to remove.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Here is the outcome.

Some of the problems I had were:
1. Drilled bullet guide hold misaligned. Resolved by finding smaller screw and nut and bolted it down with locktite.
2. Hogue pistol grip screw hole not aligned. Resolved by shaving the grip to move forward and align the screw.
3. Hogue grip wiggles when screwed on. Resolved by using grip washers.
4. MI handguard does not fit against receiver. Resolved by dremeling the handguard to align with receiver.
5. Assault Planet bullet button holes not aligned. Resolved by just tightening the rear screws. Will probably have to drill new holes to align.
6. Duracoat shake and spray bubbling slightly. Resolved by only painting underside and not the whole receiver. Figured no ones gonna look there.
7. Cleaning rod install. Not resolved. Still trying to figure out if I can install this or not. The lower bracket for the handguard has holes for this.

In any case here is my final product.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/mog4eva/0bcbc612-16f3-4cd4-8d89-ce352e8a1352_zps3adc79db.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/mog4eva/20140416_114042_zpse50b775a.jpg
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top