Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/3/2014 10:31:04 AM EDT
Every time I try to find reviews of these, unfortunately, most of them are from the worst sorts of all-caps spelling-errors sorts who seem as if their only previous firearm was a TAPCO SKS. The design looks good, but...

From people who who ACTUALLY know the platform and what a Saiga is supposed to do, does the Kushnapup make, say, a Saiga 308 into a viable PDW that'd be good to throw in a truck after a disaster, or is it a range toy? The company's website doesn't give me much confidence with its airsoft-ish language.

I trust people here more than on the web at random.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm going with range toy.  Most Saigas are somewhat finicky out of the box and usually need some work to make them reliable.  Throwing an unreliable Saiga into a Kushnapup stock means you now have a flaky rifle that is hard to work on because there is no way to get to the innards without taking the stock apart.

Mag changes are challenging, the trigger is "meh", the sling attachment location is less than ideal, and the stock seems a little fragile.  Sure, you can practice mag changes, work on the trigger to make it better, add a QD sling point, and try to avoid running over it with your tank, but who has time for all that?

ETA: I should point out that I was talking about low brass with regards to Saigas being unreliable.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 10:42:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many rounds have you put through your Kushnapup before failures?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm going with range toy.  Most Saigas are somewhat finicky out of the box and usually need some work to make them reliable.  Throwing an unreliable Saiga into a Kushnapup stock means you now have a flaky rifle that is hard to work on because there is no way to get to the innards without taking the stock apart.

Mag changes are challenging, the trigger is "meh", the sling attachment location is less than ideal, and the stock seems a little fragile.  Sure, you can practice mag changes, work on the trigger to make it better, add a QD sling point, and try to avoid running over it with your tank, but who has time for all that?

ETA: I should point out that I was talking about low brass with regards to Saigas being unreliable.
How many rounds have you put through your Kushnapup before failures?

Mine runs great, but then again, my Saiga runs great.  Of course, I've drilled out the gas ports, upgraded the piston, reprofiled the bolt, changed the springs, changed and modified the trigger, etc. to make sure it runs with both high and low brass.  I don't know if all of that is necessary for every Saiga, but I know that stock Saigas can be very picky with ammo, especially if you use aftermarket mags.  Even the new Saigas with 4 gas ports tend to need at least a little tweaking to run reliably with low brass.

All that aside, I don't think you're going to be seeing a lot of Kushnapup rigs running around 3-gun competitions or being used in anything other than a light recreational role.  

FWIW, I love mine and would definitely recommend it to someone who wants something a little different, but it's way down on my list of "go to" guns.

Link Posted: 4/4/2014 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Just as note, I was going to put a 308 in this, not the shotgun, so the reliability factor shouldn't be there. The fact that it's fragile, though? Yeah, that'd be a problem. What I wanted to know...thanks!
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just as note, I was going to put a 308 in this, not the shotgun, so the reliability factor shouldn't be there. The fact that it's fragile, though? Yeah, that'd be a problem. What I wanted to know...thanks!
View Quote

It's not going to break if you drop it off a bench or from day to day use, but you should probably avoid trying to bash in a door or beat someone to death with it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a kushnapup 12ga that I bought from a gentleman I know becausehe was unfamiliar with the "1" and "2" gas setting, and thought that was nonsense when I explained it to him.   I picked it up for a song and tossed in the auto-gas plug and it's 100% after dialing it in.

Love it, and can't think of a better gun for home defense.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top