User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I wasn't interested in .223 AK's until I started looking at some of the AR mag adapters. I think Definitive Arms has the best setup. I'm patiently waiting for my DA AK. They contacted me a week ago and said my rifle should be shipping soon. Can't wait.
Link Posted: 2/23/2013 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#2]
AKAR-DA in its final configuration with added M4 tube adapter and my all-time favorites Magpul MOE stock and Hogue pistol grip.

Thanks for all critiques and encouragement.
Happy Shooting!

Link Posted: 2/23/2013 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#3]
what does that thing weigh in at now?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 3:59:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
what does that thing weigh in at now?

Corrected:
Rifle only: 8.6 lbs.

Just in case:
Rifle + Optics: 10.4 lbs.
Rifle + Optics + Bipod: 10.8 lbs.

Length with stock collapsed: 33 3/4"
Length with stock fully extended: 37 5/8".

Happy Shooting!

Link Posted: 2/24/2013 3:57:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the adapter weigh a lot or is it the handguard you are running? Just trying to figure out how the rifle only weight is at 8.4 lbs since that is a full pound heavier than my SLR106.
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does the adapter weigh a lot or is it the handguard you are running? Just trying to figure out how the rifle only weight is at 8.4 lbs since that is a full pound heavier than my SLR106.

I weighed "Fuglystick" handguard other day being only 4 Oz heavier than Saiga OEM.

You need to come over and take it to the field to believe it.
(I'm also thinking of second set of CQB QA red dot and ultralight mount for close range only).

I ran AKS-74U at 3 kg loaded in my "past life".
This boomstick beats the hell out of "Suchka" in features-per-weight ratio; take it from "Ksyusha's" fan for life.
Link Posted: 3/3/2013 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Updated video of "AKAR-DA" in its final configuration.

Journey is almost over (and money ran out a long time ago, lol!).

It was quite a journey and great learning experience!

Few things will be added/changed, but nothing significant.
Minor updates will be posted occasionally, but your input, feedback and suggestions are always welcome.

God Bless America and our Freedom to Keep and Bear!
Let's cherish and protect it, and never forget the price paid, and all sacrifices made by generations of Patriots.

Support our Troops,
Airborne All The Way!

http://youtu.be/gPFMLZ1O-zg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPFMLZ1O-zg[/youtube]
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 2:52:30 AM EDT
[#9]
New compensator installed. Will fire-test it this week.
DA's timing on barrel threading is just perfect, and so the comp's.

Link Posted: 4/2/2013 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Compensator in action (video):

http://youtu.be/v5nR1gZmPeo
[youtube]http://youtu.be/v5nR1gZmPeo[/youtube]

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#11]
GRG comp is very good, but I might be too picky (or delusional?).
Going back to Miculek .223 comp. If no changes, I'll have my stash of devices in the range bag, kind of man's version of doll closet: A2 flash hider, GRG comp, Miculek comp, and whatever else comes along.

Range report is coming.
Link Posted: 5/19/2013 10:50:18 AM EDT
[#12]
My gut feeling told me to go back to Miculek .223 compensator.
No wonder (shooting 5.56NATO):

[youtube]http://youtu.be/8bYbtSDvrjw[/youtube]
http://youtu.be/8bYbtSDvrjw

Happy Shooting!
Link Posted: 5/23/2013 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
So anyone else get one of these? I put a order in for two of them.
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 11:33:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So anyone else get one of these? I put a order in for two of them.

How long has it been?
Link Posted: 5/28/2013 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Early march.
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 1:54:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Have you contacted them recently?
I know they were swamped earlier, and don't think there is a reason to believe that load has lightened up.

I know they're quite responsive when comes to customers' inquiries.
Link Posted: 5/30/2013 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes and just got a reply to day. There making these and my order will be filled as soon as they can. I'm in no rush anyway. They said they have ha a lot of orders.
Link Posted: 6/3/2013 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice to hear.
You'll love it.
EVERYTHING what they said in my case came through with flying colors.
Wouldn't do ANYTHING different.

(Now I also want 7.62x39 Russki with comparable AR magwell: my buddy has it in Colt AR, so I need to smack him with caliber's original roots inside the AR mag, and with LRBHO).
Rock'nRoll !
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 1:19:53 AM EDT
[#19]
SgtRaven, I hope you understand that it appears rather odd that Definitive Arms was in the Industry Section and now they're gone. You keep posting just at the right time to keep the thread going. It keeps their name out there so to speak. I'd like to see someone other
than you post.
If the product is legitimate then let others attest to it.
Secondly, your post count has been low but now you're very active in this thread so this again will caste the Definitive Arms product in a questionable light.
You need to the let the product stand on it's own.
Link Posted: 6/4/2013 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#20]
I certainly see your point. I'm not trying to sugarcoat or re-package the product; just sharing the updates and answering questions.
Frankly, I haven't checked the Industry Section and was unaware of DA's departure.

Well, let others pitch in.
In a mean time, it's a Range Day!

Happy Shooting,
AATW!
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 7:58:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Not pimping anything, but sharing added projects: parallel QD mounting of Aimpoint CompM2 (complete) and converting Magpul MOE (rifle length) for use with AK/Saiga rifles (ongoing and in the prototype state).

Magpul contacted with suggestions for AK version of the handguard.

Happy Shooting!
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#22]
the more your project progresses, the more I think you should have bought an AR. Don't get me wrong man, you've done a lot of customization here, and that takes worl. I'm also a fan of the AR myself, but man, that thing is barely an AK in appearance anymore lol!
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#23]
There is nothing to argue with what you just said, lol.
Like superstar addicted to cosmetic surgeries, I keep "AR-ing" it away...

Seriously, though: it was never to make an AR out of AK.
It was about getting the components I wanted in my "dream rifle" (most of which originally designed for AR) and making them co-exist with robust and dependable AK platform.

Is there a gun builders' rehab nearby?
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 7:19:09 PM EDT
[#24]
I once thought the AK in .223 configuration was the best of all worlds but it's not. You have to face the "Obvious". You have no control over what "Ivan" does. There are some many options on the AR15 world. Barrels, uppers, lowers, DI or piston while maintaining superior accuracy and durability. The Steyr AUG3 is another legend that would trump your Saiga .223. And other rifles yet still.
When it comes to the 7.62x39 or 5.45x39.5 to me it's strictly the AK world. All else is sacrilege.
Now how can I qualify that well financially and research wise I've been there and done that.
You keep posting on a monthly basis like someone longing for the "Good Ole Days". Just start a blog and as much as you've spent you could already bought a top tier AR, AUG or Tavor.
But honestly just keep posting.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Magpul handguards on the AK?  Tell me more.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 5:29:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I once thought the AK in .223 configuration was the best of all worlds but it's not. You have to face the "Obvious". You have no control over what "Ivan" does. There are some many options on the AR15 world. Barrels, uppers, lowers, DI or piston while maintaining superior accuracy and durability. The Steyr AUG3 is another legend that would trump your Saiga .223. And other rifles yet still.
When it comes to the 7.62x39 or 5.45x39.5 to me it's strictly the AK world. All else is sacrilege.
Now how can I qualify that well financially and research wise I've been there and done that.
You keep posting on a monthly basis like someone longing for the "Good Ole Days". Just start a blog and as much as you've spent you could already bought a top tier AR, AUG or Tavor.
But honestly just keep posting.
View Quote

Not much to argue with here as well.
You might be surprised, but I am with you on .223 AK.
I was fortunate to be able to put my hands on variety of Comblock weaponry, and after wandering the huge circle, I keep going back to 7.62x39.
My all-time favorite still AKS-74U (5.45x39). Nowadays, that configuration in 7.62x39 or .300 Blackout would logically be my choice of home defense weapon or SHTF.
(I live in suburbia: no crops or livestock to defend).
I'm waiting for some AK guru to start offering Blackout conversion for .223 AK/Saiga.

Speaking of blog: if I only was more skilled in that area, but will look into.
I agree, it is becoming less of the "review" and more of the blog style blabbery...

Thanks and Happy Shooting!
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 5:38:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't be disappointed.
I rushed to make the "proof of concept" prototype and see if I like the feel and look of it.
I do.
There is plenty of work ahead: receiver adapter, front clam/lock/hinge (undecided on type) and gas tube clearance mods.

I can clearly see how Magpul could come out with AK style and rake a money from it.
Integrate AK receiver adapter, make top cover "slide in and lock up" at the front, cutout for the gas tube lever (which in its closed state holds top cover in place), and add tube snap-on U-springs.

I need to think and work on it a little longer, before I'll share the details with Community.
(Nothing to do with secrecy, etc; just don't want to embarrass myself by sharing the half-cooked project).
Therefore, Fuglystick is not going away anytime soon (if ever). I might even turn it into QD accessory and keep swapping the HGs, depending on task (varmint siege or zombie apocalypse, hehe).

P.S. Lower handguard still has some "room", but there is none at the top (cover).
Entire assembly has to be shifted up to make the room between the top of the gas tube and (future) heat shield.
I hope to avoid pushing the lower handguard above the receiver's (bottom) edge. From functionality to esthetics, they have to "flow" into each other (IMO).
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Don't be disappointed.
I rushed to make the "proof of concept" prototype and see if I like the feel and look of it.
I do.
There is plenty of work ahead: receiver adapter, front clam/lock/hinge (undecided on type) and gas tube clearance mods.

I can clearly see how Magpul could come out with AK style and rake a money from it.
Integrate AK receiver adapter, make top cover "slide in and lock up" at the front, cutout for the gas tube lever (which in its closed state holds top cover in place), and add tube snap-on U-springs.

I need to think and work on it a little longer, before I'll share the details with Community.
(Nothing to do with secrecy, etc; just don't want to embarrass myself by sharing the half-cooked project).
Therefore, Fuglystick is not going away anytime soon (if ever). I might even turn it into QD accessory and keep swapping the HGs, depending on task (varmint siege or zombie apocalypse, hehe).

P.S. Lower handguard still has some "room", but there is none at the top (cover).
Entire assembly has to be shifted up to make the room between the top of the gas tube and (future) heat shield.
I hope to avoid pushing the lower handguard above the receiver's (bottom) edge. From functionality to esthetics, they have to "flow" into each other (IMO).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't be disappointed.
I do.

You may also want to consider a version that is cut for Ultimak compatibility since they are hugely popular in the AK world.
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

You may also want to consider a version that is cut for Ultimak compatibility since they are hugely popular in the AK world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent point!
As we know, there are 2 shotgun versions of Magpul handguard, bot with open top.
http://store.magpul.com/category/shotgun
Those might be a better choice for Ultimak use, unlike rifle 2-piece, top-cover clam shell design.

Once I'll get this one fitted and test for heat dissipating properties I'll know better if it's worth considering for Ultimak.
Those shotgun versions look like "Ultimak-ready", but just too short for my liking, since I wanter 3G-style, full-length HG.
Link Posted: 8/23/2013 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Magpul forearm for a Saiga would be great!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 3:25:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Updated with Aimpoint CompC2 on modified VOMZ sidemount with lower 1/3 cowitness.
1,200+ rounds with zero malfunctions and keep going strong.

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Pics of modified VOMS mount please. Enquiring minds want to see
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pics of modified VOMS mount please. Enquiring minds want to see
View Quote

Sorry, I fell off the face off the Earth for a while.

Here are few more generic pictures. I ended up chopping the ring block and bolting their "tandem" assembly to lower, 1/3 co-witness position.

It ended up being very solid. Once aligned to Aimpoint's "zero" (mid-range) elevation position, I put some JB Weld between the rings and mount body.
I haven't trimmed the unutilized top of the mount yet, but likely will.
Link Posted: 1/29/2014 5:49:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's what I did with my DA Saiga. I added a Bonesteel Arms left folder, a Tapco handguard, and a cheap light. I really like my rifle. Shoots great. Haven't had the slightest hiccup out of it and I plan on sending another rifle to them to convert.

Link Posted: 1/29/2014 8:06:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's what I did with my DA Saiga. I added a Bonesteel Arms left folder, a Tapco handguard, and a cheap light. I really like my rifle. Shoots great. Haven't had the slightest hiccup out of it and I plan on sending another rifle to them to convert.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/tchick_bucket/Firearms/DI-Saiga4.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/tchick_bucket/Firearms/DI-Saiga3.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/tchick_bucket/Firearms/DI-Saiga1.jpg
View Quote

Now that is really sweet! I need to get one of these!
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 7:44:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/tchick_bucket/Firearms/DI-Saiga4.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/tchick_bucket/Firearms/DI-Saiga3.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt141/tchick_bucket/Firearms/DI-Saiga1.jpg

View Quote

Not only sweet and good looking, but looks very functional.

Love the folding stock. Just itching to whip a CC and call Bonesteel.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top