Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/29/2012 11:10:39 AM EDT
I think I'm going to go this way, but I have a couple of quick questions..

What are you doing for a front sling swivel?

What does the actual mounting look like in the front?  I see people reference a "stud" getting cut down to get it to level out.  Are there pictures of this?

Does it use the factory front screw location on the VEPR?  I see in the ad copy it talks about mounting to a provided boss behind the gas block, but a Vepr already has a band there, seems it would be best to just re-use it.

Any detail pics are welcome.  I know what the rifle looks like from a distance, what I'm curious about is the actual mounting and how clean/sturdy it will look when done.

-Jay

ETA:  I have a 16" 54R, but I don't think it makes any difference.

Here's a pic, what the heck.. :)

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 11:38:30 AM EDT
[#1]
My sling stud pulls double duty, it is both a sling stud and the front mounting fastener for the CSS handguard.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I think I'm going to go this way, but I have a couple of quick questions..

What are you doing for a front sling swivel?

What does the actual mounting look like in the front?  I see people reference a "stud" getting cut down to get it to level out.  Are there pictures of this?

Does it use the factory front screw location on the VEPR?  I see in the ad copy it talks about mounting to a provided boss behind the gas block, but a Vepr already has a band there, seems it would be best to just re-use it.

Any detail pics are welcome.  I know what the rifle looks like from a distance, what I'm curious about is the actual mounting and how clean/sturdy it will look when done

I don't have any pics, but on my 7.62x39 I had to cut half the rear stud in half and the barrel mounting stud I had to cut half of it off to mount level. Not incredibly noticeable but it bugged me. I thought about trying to use the VEPR handguard mount but couldn't find a bolt in whatever thread pattern the original comes in. It is a very fine metric thread. I would also have to drill a hole in the handguard itself to line up with the stock factory mount. My thinking was to add washers inside to level out the handguard.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:03:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My sling stud pulls double duty, it is both a sling stud and the front mounting fastener for the CSS handguard.

http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz359/Liquidmetalpics/VEPR/4f144e65.jpg

But did you use the factory location to attach the front existing barrel band?? or did you utilize the included adaptor band??

I know in my trial fitting the band that came with the forearm made the angle way off (too tall).. It seemed to align perfect with the factory band..

Greg mentioned the band if for 223/545/762x39 barrels.. so maybe thats the catch.. no band needed on larger 308/54 barrels..

Can you take a picture without the forearm on for us??

And which swivel mount did you use that allowed you to screw in??

I was notified by CSS the day mine shipped that they got in the some VEPR and they noticed the handguard would not mount without dremeling in a step to the rear portion of the forearm where it enters the receiver front.. CSS mentioned the trunnion/receiver had changed on the newer VEPR batches.. so they offered to exchange mine..

Heres a picture another forum member put up with the mod they did.. basically getting it to seat inside the front trunnion..

Any info you have on the mounting with pictures LM would be appreciated and help alot of people on the fence..
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

But did you use the factory location to attach the front existing barrel band?? or did you utilize the included adaptor band??

I know in my trial fitting the band that came with the forearm made the angle way off (too tall).. It seemed to align perfect with the factory band..

Greg mentioned the band if for 223/545/762x39 barrels.. so maybe thats the catch.. no band needed on larger 308/54 barrels..

I was notified by CSS the day mine shipped that they got in the some VEPR and they noticed the handguard would not mount without dremeling in a step to the rear portion of the forearm where it enters the receiver front.. CSS mentioned the trunnion/receiver had changed on the newer VEPR batches.. so they offered to exchange mine..

Heres a picture another forum member put up with the mod they did.. basically getting it to seat inside the front trunnion..

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-5qSvU5n0sA0/UIAW2LVqOZI/AAAAAAAABZA/5R1ydkDAtGI/s903/DSC01070.JPG

Any info you have on the mounting with pictures LM would be appreciated and help alot of people on the fence..

The above picture is how I had to cut mine except I just cut it off instead of stepping it. LM did not use the original barrel band, but yes it is the right height and the height you will need to cut and radius the stud.

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:57:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Can someone post a picture of an un-modified and modified stud?  Does CSS have a presence on ARFCOM?  They should if they don't.  They seem to have a lot of nice products.

-Jay
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the mounting band that came from CSS with the handguard.  It was the perfect height for my rifle, no modifications whatsoever to the CSS mounting band were required for my rifle.  The factory mounting band on the barrel was far too low, it put the handguard at a very noticeable angle.
That is an Uncle Mike's sling swivel in the pic, it is the same thread pitch as the CSS mounting band.  IIRC, it is 10-32 (going from memory here, I installed my CSS handguard quite a while ago).  It screwed right into the CSS mounting band.  The Molot sling swivel is 5mm.
Pics are a pain in the ass to provide because my Picatinny bipod mount is tied into my CSS handguard.  The bipod mount screws into the receiver on one end and the CSS tube on the other (through the receiver).   Not worth taking that apart just to snap a pic.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 6:52:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
  Not worth taking that apart just to snap a pic.

I'll paypal you a dollah if you'll do it.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 7:08:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll wait and see what kind of mood I'm in after work tonight.  Maybe I'll take it apart and snap a pic.

Not sure what you guys are expecting to see.  All there is under there is CSS's mounting band for the handguard.  Nothing else.

Link Posted: 10/30/2012 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll wait and see what kind of mood I'm in after work tonight.  Maybe I'll take it apart and snap a pic.

Not sure what you guys are expecting to see.  All there is under there is CSS's mounting band for the handguard.  Nothing else.

People talk about cutting a "stud" in order to get the handguard to sit level.  Me personally, I'm trying to figure out what that means.  Hopefully when I see the hardware I will understand.  I know you said you didn't need to cut your's.

Certainly don't feel obligated to take the gun apart on my account.  I've decided to buy a new rifle and I'm going to put off converting my Vepr for a few weeks.  Maybe someone else will post a pic in that time.

-Jay
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Well since mine did not fully seat due to the STEP issue.. maybe the band will work on the 54R version..

I won't know I guess till I get it 'in-hand' to be sure..  
Link Posted: 10/30/2012 3:35:22 PM EDT
[#11]
You can see the difference between the factory mount and the CSS mount. The factory is the front one. The CSS is the "silver" looking one. They are essentially the same height,

The floor mad ethe barrel look curved for some reason.

Full gun.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Dude, it IS curved. Sure you don't have the handguard in a bind? Maybe you got one of them top-secret commie curveball guns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Dude, it IS curved. Sure you don't have the handguard in a bind? Maybe you got one of them top-secret commie curveball guns.

It's so I can "curve the bullet".

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 8:15:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Got mine in hand today (replacement from CSS for the one that would not fit).. CSS now has them pre-cut to drop in..

New CSS Modified VEPR AR Style Forearm notch..

Finally feel done..  

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got mine in hand today (replacement from CSS for the one that would not fit).. CSS now has them pre-cut to drop in..

http://executiveprotectionservice.us/forums/VEPR54/rebuild/Before.jpg

Finally feel done..  

http://executiveprotectionservice.us/forums/VEPR54/rebuild/UpdateHG1.jpg

Sweet, that's a great looking rifle! Is that a Vltor tube I see?

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Finally feel done..  

Sweet, that's a great looking rifle! Is that a Vltor tube I see?

Yes.. VLTOR AK Stock.. I used the DPH VEPR Adaptor (no cut tang off) (& for wood).

With just abit of mods to the VLTOR AK end it went right into the DPH adaptor.. now if I ever want to go back to the original wood I can.. (not that I would).

I kinda like the DMR type result I ended up at with this..  
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Finally feel done..  

Hello, can you link the new CSS modified hand guard. I'm a little lost in their web page because they have a few and I'm not sure which is the modified one. Thanks
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top