Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2012 10:49:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RGIFFOUR]
I ordered some parts from CNC Warrior, CSS, DInzag, & Brownells..

I have a 20.5" VEPR 54R.. was $799 and is the Ver 01 type non-threaded barrel.

Parts came in.. CNC warrior 5/8-24R DIE and 762 TAT not shown.. (my barrel is .612" diam.)

I then threaded the barrel 1st.. started with the TAT 4 threads back.

JP Cooley Comp/Brake in place..  

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:59:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RGIFFOUR] [#1]
Next was the DPH VEPR insert so I don't have to cut my tang..    dropped right in..

You do need to grind/dremel the TOP of the bushing nut to get it to swing in since the bottom is thicker with the DPH adaptor in place..

Heres the DPH adaptor and the VLTOR AK tube.. there is some mods needed to make this fit..

Go slow and take your time.. The DPH is 1.094" (27.8mm) and the VLTOR end is 1.147" (29.15mm) from side to side..

After taking off the width I got this far.. and I noticed the angle..

Took about 1/8" off the FLAT top area..

Take the smallest insert and modify that to fit inside the DPH part..

Phase 1 is done..

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 11:14:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RGIFFOUR] [#2]
Then along came some new parts.. (I mangled the Hogue from overdoing it.. the hole on the Hogue is set forward of the NORM and causes issues)..

I ordered a ERGO and CSS slotted AR type handguard..  

The ERGO only needed the top slot squared up to work with the square factory bushing..

CSS had shipped the handguard and got in 2 newer VEPRs and sent me an email the same day that the handguard I got would not fit.. and offered to swap it out in 2 weeks for one that would fit..

Heres a mock-up shot with it kinda in place..

Heres a side shot showing how the TANG on the handguard does not go in..  

Anyway thats my setup.. I figured a 54R would be nice to disect within reason.. and I can always put back to stock (minus the threaded end)..

I had found pictures on a regular VEPR from 3/2012 where a user Ishtacka on here 1/2 way down the page had done a similar thing (with DPH adaptor and VLTOR) with a .223/5.56 VEPR.. so I figured my 54R could be done the same way.. and LiquidMetal has the CSS handguard on his which got me thinking...

Heres the pictures from that post..

I have a modified G2 from Dinzag arms coming in Mon/Tues that he profiled to match my factory 54R..  

I'll do a mini-review on that as well soon..
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The fitting required to get that CSS tube to work is very easy to do.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2012 12:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RGIFFOUR] [#4]
Yes.. that was the easiest part.. getting the VLTOR AK tube into the DPH adaptor..

Just measure the ID width of the DPH insert and the OD of the VLTOR and grind the VLTOR part to fit.. I took the dig. caliper down in the basement and took the DPH insert with me.. took my time.. then cleaned it up and hit with some flat black paint to help protect the AL some on the VLTOR piece before putting it all back together...  since the VLTOR has no bottom shelf to modify (like a normal wood/poly stock) it made fitment easier too..

I took my time with the kydex insert as well.. that grinds down really fast with a dremel as well...

The Hogue pistol grip gave me fits till Greg at CSS pointed out the offset for the hole.. said Hogue is silly that way.. granted by then that was too late I made a gapping hole in the front strap and stuff..   he said any other grip would work so I grabbed the ERGO.

Heres a crappy cell from the bottom of the Hogue I messed/mangled up abit..

Heres the new ERGO installed.

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 10:29:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Got my Dinzag modified G2 and stock in last night..

Just waiting on the revised CSS slotted handguard.. so 90% their..

Link Posted: 10/10/2012 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice job
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 11:29:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice and neat!

My rebuild will start tomorrow.

More and more I am thinking on keeping original forend but making vent holes in it like Krebs does and maybe refinishing it in black.....

This is how I want my 308 to look like. Just not a muzzle. I like the fire of the flash.
http://www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/10-7-12/CustomVEPR.jpg
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 11:55:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dragunov] [#8]
Here is what I was able to do

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/5967/imagespqh.jpg
Sorry cant post normal image from ipad

Link Posted: 10/23/2012 9:00:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Still kinda half done, replaced a bunch of internal parts, stock, PG, ect, to keep it legal.  Have to open up the mag well a bit to accept standard mags and get a muzzle brake on it.

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 12:13:05 PM EDT
[#10]
So I got my modified VEPR Slotted AR Style Forearm today from CSS.. (replacement for the 1st one that would not go directly on)..

Heres a picture of the step CSS mills into the newer ones so they can drop right into the VEPR receiver front end..

It still would not quite slide in.. so dremel-fu was needed to get it under the trunnion..

And..

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I like it.  To the point that I'm rethinking my build.  Can you take some pics of it in the sunlight.  All the black sorta blends together when you take a pic with artificial light.

Also can you take some pics of the handguard/receiver interface and also the vltor/receiver interface while you're out in the good light.  I'm curious how "polished" it all looks once it's together.

Again, I really like it, looks great.

-Jay
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 12:12:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RGIFFOUR] [#12]
Heres some pictures.. the DPH adaptor pretty close matches the VLTOR AK color.. flat black..

The CSS tube is anodized but its pretty close to matching the receiver finish.. one is sheen one is more flat..

The gap at the bottom of the CSS tube.. there is none when seated all the way in..

There is no gap on the LEFT side between the CSS and the receiver..

They machined this to close 90% of the gaps around it..   well though out IMHO..

There is a small slot visible on the right side by the trunnion.. like 1/8" wide..

If you modify the VLTOR (like I did and others) to fit the DPH adaptor.. it should fit SNUG..

Trim the plastic just right.. and .. you'll be GTG..

I am sure you could find some 'DE' duplicolor FLAT hi-temp paint and match the adaptor to the receiver..

But I'm leaving it as is..

Hope this helps..

Link Posted: 11/3/2012 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#13]
That looks good enough that I can see what I wanted to see.  I think I might go the CSS and vltor route myself.  I really like your rifle.

You might look into the Macro setting on your camera and play around with that.

-Jay
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#14]
OP...rifle looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, what's the length of the barrel sticking out past the FSB?  I want to thread one of my VEPRs but only have .610" of length to work with.  I don't particularly feel like removing the FSB to get the job done. Also, from your photos it appears you were able to thread all the way to the FSB.  Did you just use the flat end of the die and worked it until it stopped against the FSB?
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By amstel78:
OP, what's the length of the barrel sticking out past the FSB?  I want to thread one of my VEPRs but only have .610" of length to work with.  I don't particularly feel like removing the FSB to get the job done. Also, from your photos it appears you were able to thread all the way to the FSB.  Did you just use the flat end of the die and worked it until it stopped against the FSB?

I stopped 1 thread short of the FSB so I would not scrape the FSB with anything.. I think mine was about 9/16" of barrel past the FSB.. Most brakes/comps/hiders are in this DEPTH range and should work fine IMHO.. I'd remove it, but its pinned and welded to shoot up in the dreaded NJ..  
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 7:39:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By RGIFFOUR:

I stopped 1 thread short of the FSB so I would not scrape the FSB with anything.. I think mine was about 9/16" of barrel past the FSB.. Most brakes/comps/hiders are in this DEPTH range and should work fine IMHO.. I'd remove it, but its pinned and welded to shoot up in the dreaded NJ..  

9/16" is only about .563" if my math is right.  Are you sure? That seems awful short. If so, then I should be GTG with .610".

I've never threaded a barrel before so this is all a learning experience for me.  I don't want to screw it up.

Sorry about your Jersey situation.  I used to live in Edison.  I then moved to NYC.  I couldn't stand it anymore and after about 10 years bought a place up here in PA.  I can pretty much do whatever I want to my rifles in this state.  I still work in NYC though so I do have to put up with the long commute.
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 8:14:30 PM EDT
[#18]

9/16" is only about .563" if my math is right.  Are you sure? That seems awful short. If so, then I should be GTG with .610".

I've never threaded a barrel before so this is all a learning experience for me.  I don't want to screw it up.

Sorry about your Jersey situation.  I used to live in Edison.  I then moved to NYC.  I couldn't stand it anymore and after about 10 years bought a place up here in PA.  I can pretty much do whatever I want to my rifles in this state.  I still work in NYC though so I do have to put up with the long commute.

At the time I was more concerned with the diameter of the barrel for proper DIE.. It was between 9/16 - 5/8" but again.. I don't recall a few months back..

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#19]
very nice rifle, and nice setup...I've been kicking myself for not getting one of these before Emperor Cuomo banned them.. how does it shoot? spare mags hard to get? do they only come in 5 rnds?
Link Posted: 3/2/2013 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By -dW:
very nice rifle, and nice setup...I've been kicking myself for not getting one of these before Emperor Cuomo banned them.. how does it shoot? spare mags hard to get? do they only come in 5 rnds?

They come with 5 round mags.. SGM makes 10 rounders but right now impossible to get without alot of $$..

Shoots great... no feeding issues like some of the new square back ones are having..

Was up for sale about a month ago with a tin of 440 ammo in the EE.. pulled it back down and decided to keep since things are looking more grim daily..

Link Posted: 3/2/2013 1:23:43 PM EDT
[#21]
[

Was up for sale about a month ago with a tin of 440 ammo in the EE.. pulled it back down and decided to keep since things are looking more grim daily..

on the plus side though,  54R ammo seems to be still on the shelves and the prices haven't even changed that much.. 54R might even be the new .22LR
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#22]
How do you like your JP brake? I have one on a .308 bolt rifle and its worked great.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#23]
The pics on the OP's posts are not showing. Anyone else having that problem?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#24]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JButlerHickok:

The pics on the OP's posts are not showing. Anyone else having that problem?
View Quote

Pics show fine for me.

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top