Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/29/2016 8:09:56 PM EDT
I'm wantimg to get some more steel mags for my WASR I got last year. I currently only have the one that came with it and a magpul that won't clear my dong grip to lock in properly. I would like them to be in decent shape, no rust or dents and be under 15 a piece shipped if possible. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The 20 round Magpuls lock in nicely with hardly any side to side wobble either.

- OS
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:01:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I have two Wasr's, both made 2015, Hungarian mags fit one perfectly, one they are a bit loose side to side,  Polish I have are a bit looser fitting but still don't rattle badly and feed 100%.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:27:10 PM EDT
[#3]
There is no mil-spec for any AK mag well, including WASRs. My WASR is nice and tight but I've also handled loose ones.

This is typical of other AKs of the same model & make, and there's variation in AK mags, steel or polymer.

It best to try out a couple makes in your price range and see what works best. Also, its easy to fit good mags to the well of an individual rifle.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
So the magpul won't clear the dong, will the steel mag clear? You looking for 20s or 30s?

Knowing the country of origin of your steel mag would help. Posting a pic with any stamps or marks might provide that. If you don't know, I assume Romanian since that's where it was built.
So if you're looking for more steel 30s I'd try some Romanian, but offhand I don't know who has them right now. Last mags I got were Hungarians from SGAmmo, not the cheapest but like new quality for $16 a pop.

AIM Surplus is a good source for surplus mags, and still have some of those Polish surplus mags. CDNN also ran some great deals on surplus Romy mags in the past.
Just be aware that these surplus mags come over in lots. When they're gone, they're gone. There are also new production mags like the Croatians but they don't seem to be as heavy a gauge as surplus.

Although I prefer the steel mags I have some Magpul MOEs (the ones with the plastic rear lug) in 20s & 30s that fit my WASR fine. If your Magpul has a steel rear lug it may be the first batch which Magpul admitted was made a little larger than the MOEs.

IMHO a loose fit is better than a tight fit. I've seen some swayin' mags that ran fine. Tight fitting mags are slow to change out for me. I've filed a few of my steel mags down to 'smooth them out'. So I'd focus less on where they came from and more on condition.

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So the magpul won't clear the dong, will the steel mag clear? You looking for 20s or 30s?

Knowing the country of origin of your steel mag would help. Posting a pic with any stamps or marks might provide that. If you don't know, I assume Romanian since that's where it was built.
So if you're looking for more steel 30s I'd try some Romanian, but offhand I don't know who has them right now. Last mags I got were Hungarians from SGAmmo, not the cheapest but like new quality for $16 a pop.

AIM Surplus is a good source for surplus mags, and still have some of those Polish surplus mags. CDNN also ran some great deals on surplus Romy mags in the past.
Just be aware that these surplus mags come over in lots. When they're gone, they're gone. There are also new production mags like the Croatians but they don't seem to be as heavy a gauge as surplus.

Although I prefer the steel mags I have some Magpul MOEs (the ones with the plastic rear lug) in 20s & 30s that fit my WASR fine. If your Magpul has a steel rear lug it may be the first batch which Magpul admitted was made a little larger than the MOEs.

IMHO a loose fit is better than a tight fit. I've seen some swayin' mags that ran fine. Tight fitting mags are slow to change out for me. I've filed a few of my steel mags down to 'smooth them out'. So I'd focus less on where they came from and more on condition.

View Quote

Thanks for the help. My steel 30 rounder that came with it does clear. It doesn't have any markings, but came from J&G sales.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Yugo mags are the only ones that wont fit my WASR. Seems like they are too fat to insert.
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Ive had good luck with the polish mags from
Aimsurplus

Some are better than others, but most are in good shape.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 2:09:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ive had good luck with the polish mags from
Aimsurplus

Some are better than others, but most are in good shape.
View Quote

Yeah, this.  I put Weapontech followers in mine.  Those work fine too.

The Magpul mags have a different geometry and force you to use a sharper angle to insert them, so they hit the dong where others don't.  But everything I have tried except the new Croatian mags from Palmetto State fit my WASR.  I am sure the Croatians will fit if I file the locking tabs some, but I haven't gotten time to try yet.  I tried Chinese, Romanian, Hungarian, old Yugo, Polish, Promags, and a few others I can't remember.  The Promags and Magpuls (if I use a non-dong handguard) fit my WASR tightest side-to-side with very little wobble.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:41:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I have yugos in mine, but mine has pretty good front to back slop with any mag. Im going to install a new mag catch to fix that next week. Yugos side to side wobble isn't bad though, same goes for the dumb pmag that came with it.  
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 1:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]
I run Bulgarian Circle 10's in mine, zero wobble, zero issues. Also they look boss.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#11]
My WASR came with Romanian surplus mags, those and Hungarians are what I mainly run and they fit fine. Not too tight, not too loose. If the Magpul isn't clearing the dong you'll have the same issue with any 30 round steel mag, may want to try some Magpul or Tapco 20 round mags. Magpuls drop right in, the Tapcos need some filing to fit. Or try the KCI/Korean steel 20 rounders, kinda thin steel but I've had no functional issues. Best option is the Hungarian Tanker 20s that are available right now from AKOU but $35 a pop is pricey IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 10:25:02 AM EDT
[#12]
I just received a bunch of Hungarian 30s ("good to very good"), all were actually very good condition, from whatacountry.com for my 2017 WASR. 80% of them fit snugly with no wobble. 10% wiggle a bit upon finger pushing and 10% wobble noisily if I shake the AK.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 6:17:29 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want tight fitting AK mags get the Magpul or those Bulgarian smooth sided ones ( I really like mine for what it's worth). Otherwise, embrace the wiggle of the steel mags because they are better. All mine from all over Europe wiggle although as others have said the Polish fit the best and seem the highest quality. I'm running an excellent 2014 made WASR if that matters to you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:19:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The Magpuls seem to feed higher than any of my steel surplus mags, never been an issue in any of my AKs but I had a PTR-32 that took AK mags and it ran best on Magpuls & Tapcos, my steel mags seemed to bring the round up just a bit lower and with the receiver being originally chambered in .308 it had a long way to get to the chamber and the feed ramp was really just a speed bump. The magpuls may actually sit up higher too, when they first came out I read a few complaints of the bolt smacking the back of the mag, but I've never had that problem.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If the Magpul isn't clearing the dong you'll have the same issue with any 30 round steel mag, may want to try some Magpul or Tapco 20 round mags. Magpuls drop right in...
View Quote
That's not what I have experienced from them.  I only tried the Magpul MOE AK mags (all plastic - no metal reinforcement).  They require a sharper angle to insert them than a normal steel mag, so they won't fit with the dong foregrip, but my normal mags will.  I think that's what the OP saw too from his comments.  Magpul MOE AK mag (30-rd) + Romanian dong on front = no go.
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 3:08:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There is no mil-spec for any AK mag well, including WASRs. My WASR is nice and tight but I've also handled loose ones.
View Quote
This is not true for imported AK rifles which were originally manufactured with double-stack magazine wells by foreign military factories. Those rifles, by definition have “mil-spec” magazine wells. They are also very consistent regarding magazine fitment, as you would expect from a factory-produced rifle.

In contrast, every WASR rifle leaves the Romanian factory with a non-standard, single-stack magazine well. The WASR rifles which accept AK double-stack magazines had their magazine wells (and their non-standard magazine stabilizing rails) cut open in the U.S.A., usually by Century Arms. So, it’s true that NO WASR rifle has a “mil-spec” magazine well. Also, Century Arms’ efforts at cutting open WASR magazine wells are not as repeatable as what is found on rifles produced in foreign military factories. So, just like Goldilocks found out about porridge and beds, some WASR magazine wells are “too loose”, some are “too tight”, and some are “just right”. But none are “mil-spec”.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top