Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2016 7:38:32 AM EDT
I have an early 2000's Romanian SAR-1 that I've had since it was brand new. I never did care for the cheap looking plastic grip on the rifle. I was thinking of replacing it with something. Any suggestions on what I could get and from where ? Maybe a Romanian surplus wood grip ? And would that even fit properly on my SAR?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The original pistol grip on the SAR-1's were US made. So make sure you play the stupid 922r game. With that said, check out Ronin grips or Ironwood Design for US made grips. Any grip would fit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:33:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I was also planning on swapping out the original trigger that has lots of trigger slap with a Tapco G2. Was the original FCG US made parts or no ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 4:48:00 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to keep a USA made & marked grip on your SAR-1 to keep it 922.R legal, unless you use USA made magazines (MagPul, Palm, Tapco, etc...)

You need a USA made and marked Fire Control Group if you swap out your current set (also due to 922.R since your SAR-1 had a USA made set from Century)  There is a YouTube Video that shows how to Grind the "Nub" that causes Trigger Kick Back.  It really works well and you don't have to replace your FCG

Any "Standard" AKM grip will work.  The Yugo grips most often don't (different length of the screw)

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok, great. Thanks for the info :)
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd suggest using an Arsenal US trigger from KVAR, I've put them in all my Romanian AK builds and love them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Hogue grip on my SAR1, love it.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top