Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/7/2016 5:12:39 PM EDT
My friend has a CAI Imported SAR-1 just like mine except that it has 2003 as the last few digits in the serial. After reading about 922(r), we tore his down and looked at parts for Made in USA etc. I was with him when he bought the rifle NIB at a gun store. He is pretty new to guns and learning but not the type to disassemble one on his own. So I can assure you it is "as purchased". We found no USmarked parts in the rifle! Even the black pistol grip is unmarked. Shouldn't it have the required number of US parts if it was bought new in the box?  I think he purchased it somewhere about 2003, 2004 or 2005.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:06:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Just cuz they're not "US marked" doesn't mean they're not "US made".  There is no requirement that the parts be marked "Made in USA", just that they were in fact made in the USA.

The usual US parts on a SAR are pistol grip, gas piston, trigger, disconnector, and hammer.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#2]
It's hard for me to convince him that without some evidence of the required number of US parts in his rifle that if he is involved in some kind of a traffic stop sometime and it is discovered that he has the"evil" AK in his car that he is not going to get it confiscated. He is even afrsid to put an original Bakelite grip on instead of the stupid CAI black one that that will make in noncompliance. What is to say that the red grip was not made here and who does he make that argument to. Crazy!!!!
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#3]
If he's that paranoid, I guess he can buy new, US-made parts with "US" on them to replace the ones he suspects. Or just get a vibrapen and put "US" on the parts he wants to feel more comfortable about.  Or write to Century and ask for a letter documenting his US parts.

It's seems pretty silly to me.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't the SARs come already minus the threaded muzzle and no bayo lug making them already compliant?
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Didn't the SARs come already minus the threaded muzzle and no bayo lug making them already compliant?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 11:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

No threading or lug were just part of the 922(r) compliance game - by themselves they did not result in 922(r)-compliant firearms. US parts were necessary to reconfigure them into non-lame configurations once inside the US.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

No threading or lug were just part of the 922(r) compliance game - by themselves they did not result in 922(r)-compliant firearms. US parts were necessary to reconfigure them into non-lame configurations once inside the US.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

So....they shipped them into the US non-compliant?

Link Posted: 8/8/2016 12:30:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were compliant when they were brought in.

Either this involved bringing them in as thumbholed single-stacks and converting them, with US parts, once they were in the US, or they shipped over the US compliance parts and had them assembled as such before they were brought over.  I've heard Century's done it a couple of different ways over the decades.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 2:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Whatever was done by CAI over there or over here was done with parts that are not marked USA or otherwise recognizable by anyone other than some expert somewhere.
Link Posted: 8/11/2016 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Go buy a Tapco g2 trigger, enough parts in that to make it compliant if you are worried about it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2016 12:51:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Anyone have a single example of someone being prosecuted for 922(r)?

Serious question because I can't find one...
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's hard for me to convince him that without some evidence of the required number of US parts in his rifle that if he is involved in some kind of a traffic stop sometime and it is discovered that he has the"evil" AK in his car that he is not going to get it confiscated. He is even afrsid to put an original Bakelite grip on instead of the stupid CAI black one that that will make in noncompliance. What is to say that the red grip was not made here and who does he make that argument to. Crazy!!!!
View Quote

A couple of things...

1) Unless he is pulled over by the ATF he doesn't need to worry about it as 922r is an ATF rule and is not enforced by local law enforcement...

2) If the parts have a "C" on them this indicates they are US parts...
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A couple of things...

1) Unless he is pulled over by the ATF he doesn't need to worry about it as 922r is an ATF rule and is not enforced by local law enforcement...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A couple of things...

The "C" is for Century.  USA made parts (Fire Control Group, Piston, Pistol Grip for 922r

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#14]
No one cares about 922r except for they guys that sell conversion parts. It's like the law about tearing the tags off your mattress. With that said my SAR1 is the same way.
Link Posted: 10/14/2016 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No one cares about 922r except for they guys that sell conversion parts. It's like the law about tearing the tags off your mattress. With that said my SAR1 is the same way.
View Quote

This is what I'm beginning to believe who's to say that my furniture was made in Romania or the U.S.? Even if by some 1 in 10,000 chance the ATF comes and hassles me chances are I'll be being charged with something much worse. The cops don't know anything about 922r and I'm willing to bet the ones that do are gun guys too and don't give a rat's rear about compliance.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Read 922r then read it a couple more times.  It's more for importers and manufacturers.  It basically says you can't put those parts on. If Joe puts the parts on and sells it to Paul, Paul did not violate 922r, Joe did.  No one, to my knowledge, has ever been prosecuted for violating it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:21:54 PM EDT
[#17]
As long as he doesn't drill the evil third hole in it, he's fine.
It was compliant before it shipped to the US or right after it arrived in the US

Otherwise it wouldn't have been sold,
as the importer has a ton of requirements to meet before that can happen.

Tell him to shoot it and enjoy it.
The SAR-1 is one of the best AK types out there IMHO.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top