Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/15/2016 9:51:13 AM EDT
Thinking of putting a Rommy G stock set with a "Donkey Dick" front handguard on my converted Saiga.  Had one years ago on a WASR and loved it.  The question I have is why is there the black strip on the stock?  I heard that the Gs were semi-auto only, and that way the could be identified at a glance.  Probably internet BS, so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Thinking of putting a Rommy G stock set with a "Donkey Dick" front handguard on my converted Saiga.  Had one years ago on a WASR and loved it.  The question I have is why is there the black strip on the stock?  I heard that the Gs were semi-auto only, and that way the could be identified at a glance.  Probably internet BS, so I thought I would ask here.

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

That's the same reason I heard years ago as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

This is correct the Romy G (Guard) was a semi only AKM given to what I assume  is there equivalent to the National Guard. Most G kits had better then average bores do to the fact that they were not military rifles that got used a lot.  From my understanding they used a select fire receivers just missing the select fire parts. This was so they could be fitted with parts to convert them to select fire if the westerners ever invaded.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:47:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes the ID mark for semi-only G series was the same story I've read over and over.. Never heard a Romanian confirm it, but it sounds extremely likely.

However most if not all of them also had the giant orange "G" on the RSB, so that also seems like a pretty obvious indicator to me.. Dunno.

I will say that stripping the black stripe off was a PITA using just Citristrip. Like the paint they used was supermutant squid ink.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
BINGO, its exactly why they did it.  Theres a ton of surplus Romy G stocks on the market
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top