Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/6/2016 10:09:18 PM EDT
In August 2015 I purchased a WASR-10 manufactured in 2013.  It was new old stock that my LGS had in the store room under some old boxes. Paid $575.00 for it plus tax.  I looked the gun over Very carefully, having read on here what to look for when purchasing a WASR.  The gun was as near perfect as one could find, and it has performed flawlessly ever  since.  I love my WASR-10!

Two weeks ago I went to the same LGS with a friend  to help her look over a WASR-10, as she wanted to buy in her name a WASR like mine.  The LGS had two in stock, both 2015 guns as identified by the last two digits of the s/n.  On the first one that I examined one of the rivets had been driven in so hard that the receiver was dented in around the rivet leaving an indention in the receiver as would be if you pressed your finger into your skin.  Naturally I rejected that one.  On the second one the front sight was not straight.  It was not too bad, but noticeably not straight.  I have a front sight tool for straightening the sight, and she is planning to mount a red dot on the gun so that is the one that we decided to get. Cost $550.00 plus tax.  We have taken her WASR out to the range, and it has performed perfectly, the way an AK is supposed to perform.  It is a very good gun, just with a not quite straight front sight.  She loves it.

In the days of the WASR-10/63's  both of theses problems were common, but I have been reading on here lately how the new WASR-10's have greatly improved in quality and are now highly desirable firearms.  Now, it appears from what I have seen that Century quality may be slipping again and we may be heading back to the old days of poor quality control from Century.  This saddens me, because I really like WASR's.  Mine is a great gun, and fun to shoot, and hers is going to be a great gun too, just with a front sight that is not quite straight.  I'm wondering what others experiences with 2015 WASR-10's are.  My experience with them is not good. Sad to say.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:53:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
On the first one that I examined one of the rivets had been driven in so hard that the receiver was dented in around the rivet leaving an indention in the receiver as would be if you pressed your finger into your skin.
View Quote

That's a common and normal side effect from using swell rivets. In order to get them to lay flat against the receiver the hole is dimpled, which sometimes can translate to the area around the hole.

Quoted:
Now, it appears from what I have seen that Century quality may be slipping again and we may be heading back to the old days of poor quality control from Century.
View Quote

Century doesn't produce the WASR, and despite the canted barrel components, so long as it can be zero'd and the rifle functions it's considered passable by Romarm.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:41:11 AM EDT
[#2]
As AEnemaBay mentioned, the swell neck rivets are supposed to look that way. In fact the trunnion holes for these rivets are countersunk, and the receiver is supposed to be crushed slightly into the countersunk holes during the riveting process. This does result in a slightly deformed surface around the swell neck rivets.

The purpose of this process is to lock the receiver into the trunnion to provide additional strength between the two mated parts.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top