Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/6/2016 4:53:37 PM EDT
Like the title says. I have a chance to either buy a brand new draco or a used wasr. Shop will sell me either one for 480.00 out the door. Says wasr has a tight magwell and it makes getting some brands of mags inserted a pain. Thing is I already have an AR15 pistol with a shockwave blade on it. I have no interest in going through the process of SBRing it or a draco. So I would have 2 pistols if I go that route (of course I have an AR carbine). Might pin and weld a barrel extension on draco and put a stock on way later down the road if I got tired of it. Or get the wasr and tinker around with the mag well issue (if really is one). I haven't seen in person or pics. Kind of want my mind made almost made up when I walk in store next monday.

TL/DR
Which is better for same price?
New Draco
Used Wasr

Thanks

ETA for spelling
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:44:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, fact that one is a pistol and the other a rifle not figure into your decision at all?

- OS
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:15:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, fact that one is a pistol and the other a rifle not figure into your decision at all?

- OS
View Quote

Not really. I like my ar15 pistol, but I like my ar15 carbine too. So I might end up getting both in the AK platform too. So it doesn't really matter which comes first. If I don't like the draco as a pistol, it can be pinned and welded with a barrel extension. But that is extra cost. But it is also new. Wasr already a rifle, but it is used with a possible problem. I'm going to look it over before I buy, but I'm just seeing if there is any reason to even look at one or the other.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:52:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I like both of my Dracos, but they were the suck as pistols.  YMMV.

Now, as SBRs...  
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two draco turning one into a rifle not sure about the other yet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:43:30 AM EDT
[#5]
My vote is wasr assuming it looks good and isn't too canted.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I'm going back and forth again. I do believe the draco is  better, especially being brand new. But I've been looking at my AR15 pistol with shockwave/kak brace (I have no desire to SBR anything). The more I think about it, when I get an AK, I do actually want a rifle. I could of course make the draco into a rifle, but the wasr is already there. So with the possible wasr problems I would have to do some work. But to make the draco a rifle, I would have to do some work. I'm pretty decent at working on guns either way, but pin/weld a barrel extension will have to be taken to a gunsmith (drill and tap for a stock I will do myself). Or I can work on the mag well of  the wasr and call it a day. Plus he said "some" mags fit in it and "some" brands don't. I could just use the mags that work.

Or I can just tell him to forget it and go buy a new wasr all together.

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got a three year old WASR & a Draco w/SB47 brace I picked up last year. The Draco seems to be a nicer finish and a smoother action. Haven't had an opportunity to shoot the Draco past 25 yards yet but seems to group better than the WASR.

Over all, not too much difference in terms of cost, quality, length or weight with the SB47. With a folding CNC stock the WASR is just as easy to transport as the Draco. But it's also nice to be able to quickly remove the brace and shoot it as a pistol. I also have a light/laser on the Draco and a two point sling, without the brace it's a pretty compact setup to haul around.

I think if I were going thru the paperwork & cost of an SBR I'd rather try it with a mini draco. The std. Draco is still the same receiver as the WASR just with a 12" barrel instead of a 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:16:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Draco is a better investment piece.  

Draco is better as far as ballistics than the AR pistol.

You can put a folding pistol buffer tube on the draco and have an even shorter profile.

I'd go draco.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks ya'll. I told him Draco. I will either make it a rifle or put a shockwave on. If I put the shockwave blade on, I'll sell the AR15 pistol or upper depending. I wanted a 300 blkout anyway, but I talked myself into building in 5.56 for who knows why. The thing is I'm left eye dominant and shot long guns lefty. The AR pistol gives me a face full of gas. Because of DI I assume. Draco hopefully won't do that. Right? The carbine AR doesn't do it either. I might have the AR pistol over gassed or something. AKfiles has a whole thread of Draco's made into rifles, and they look awesome. I know function over form, but.......... they look awesome.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks ya'll. I told him Draco. I will either make it a rifle or put a shockwave on. If I put the shockwave blade on, I'll sell the AR15 pistol or upper depending. I wanted a 300 blkout anyway, but I talked myself into building in 5.56 for who knows why. The thing is I'm left eye dominant and shot long guns lefty. The AR pistol gives me a face full of gas. Because of DI I assume. Draco hopefully won't do that. Right? The carbine AR doesn't do it either. I might have the AR pistol over gassed or something. AKfiles has a whole thread of Draco's made into rifles, and they look awesome. I know function over form, but.......... they look awesome.
View Quote

Blowback is not an issue with any AK, including Draco. Just curious on the AR pistol, did you try a different charging handle, like the GasBuster, or the Strike Industries? I get some blowback from my 7.62x39 & 9mm ARs. Strike Ind. handle took care of that on my 7.62x39. I did the silicon seal trick on my 9mm before that, so far that's held up as well.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Blowback is not an issue with any AK, including Draco. Just curious on the AR pistol, did you try a different charging handle, like the GasBuster, or the Strike Industries? I get some blowback from my 7.62x39 & 9mm ARs. Strike Ind. handle took care of that on my 7.62x39. I did the silicon seal trick on my 9mm before that, so far that's held up as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, haven't tried a thing. After I get done playing around and changing stuff back and forth with my draco, I will check out the Gasbuster (or Strike Ind) and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:01:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Nope, haven't tried a thing. After I get done playing around and changing stuff back and forth with my draco, I will check out the Gasbuster (or Strike Ind) and see if that helps. Thanks for the info.
View Quote

I think there's a few handles out there that have the lip to redirect blowback, whenever the new Geissele handle comes out (not the Raptor they sell under their name but the new one that's supposed to come out this year) it looks like it also has a gas blocking lip. The Gas Buster handle was the first one out but it's pricey, at least the Geissele is an ambi handle for that kind of money. The Strike is pretty cheap by comparison, got mine off Amazon for $25 with an extended latch.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think there's a few handles out there that have the lip to redirect blowback, whenever the new Geissele handle comes out (not the Raptor they sell under their name but the new one that's supposed to come out this year) it looks like it also has a gas blocking lip. The Gas Buster handle was the first one out but it's pricey, at least the Geissele is an ambi handle for that kind of money. The Strike is pretty cheap by comparison, got mine off Amazon for $25 with an extended latch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ambi handle would be the best with the left hand shooting. I haven't even checked on them yet. Been looking up stuff for the draco and how I'm going to put a buffer tube on. If strike is cheaper thought that might be for the best. I have gone this long without an ambi. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#14]
So far I like the Stormwerks universal carbine adapter. I can always get a folding attachment later that has male to female ends that can be attached to this one. Drilling and tapping may be a doozy, but it seems better than the one that fits between receiver/grip.

I wonder if instead of drilling and tapping if the adapter could be help on with JB weld? Probably a stupid and dangerous idea, I come up with some weird stuff.

http://stormwerkz.com/stock-adapters/universal-carbine-adapter/
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So far I like the Stormwerks universal carbine adapter. I can always get a folding attachment later that has male to female ends that can be attached to this one. Drilling and tapping may be a doozy, but it seems better than the one that fits between receiver/grip.

I wonder if instead of drilling and tapping if the adapter could be help on with JB weld? Probably a stupid and dangerous idea, I come up with some weird stuff.

View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 3:40:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

Ok, I won't ponder any further. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the gasbuster.  It works, to a degree.  I wish I had waited and gotten the Gemtech bolt carrier though.  Not just for gas but to cut down wear and tear on the gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I have the gasbuster.  It works, to a degree.  I wish I had waited and gotten the Gemtech bolt carrier though.  Not just for gas but to cut down wear and tear on the gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, Thanks. I am debating selling the AR pistol and a handgun to fund a Garand now.

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top