Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2016 1:24:57 PM EDT
I recently picked up a new WASR-10 myself, I feel the quality is much better on them now. so I decided to pull the trigger on one. I decided to do a little work on mine, I didn't like the light colored wood much, so I decided to start with some refinishing. I wanted a more red-ish and darker look, so I did 4 coats of scarlet rit dye, followed by 1 coat of red mahogany stain, then 4 coast of poly.  I went ahead and cut the spot weld on that funky thread protector thing it came with and installed a proper muzzle break.  I also have a Romanian leather sling coming for it in the mail sometime.

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#1]
The furniture turned out great!
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, it was a PITA to get them all kinda close,  I think it's 3 different types of wood...lol.

I'll post more pics when I'm all done putting it back together.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 6:52:41 PM EDT
[#3]
My WASR was from Atlantic and did not have the tack welded muzzle break. My buddies WASR DID have the tack weld from a few years ago. Wonder why...any idea?

ETA: You did note that you got a new WASR. Care to share from whom you got it from? Brown pistol grip and tacked muzzle break say older model, yet I am not a WASR expert. Anyone have a answer to this?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#4]
It was a newer model, just got it before Christmas, some still come through with a tacked on thread protector from what I've been told, I'm in FL so no bans on anything.  It came with a crappy Tapco black plastic PG, I put the Romy Bakelite one on there myself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:41:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It was a newer model, just got it before Christmas, some still come through with a tacked on thread protector from what I've been told, I'm in FL so no bans on anything.  It came with a crappy Tapco black plastic PG, I put the Romy Bakelite one on there myself.
View Quote

Roger that.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 12:40:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good!

I put Russian laminate and Polish akm grip on mine.

Link Posted: 1/6/2016 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#7]
That looks great!

I had some difficulties refinishing the WASR wood, it was like 3 different kinds of wood so there were 3 different shades and textures to deal with. The bottom handguard took the most time to get to come out half way decent, the wood just didn't want to smooth out.

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:57:40 AM EDT
[#8]
looks good
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#9]
You're using the rit dye just like stain and rubbing it in?

I was a Wasr I'd like to spruce up
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You'll want to remove what's there before doing any staining or dyeing. Citristrip then bleach, is what I would suggest, letting it dry completely before staining/dyeing.

Lots of tutorials all over the web.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You'll want to remove what's there before doing any staining or dyeing. Citristrip then bleach, is what I would suggest, letting it dry completely before staining/dyeing.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here goes nothing!
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top