Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/2/2015 2:43:46 PM EDT
My Local gun store has them on sale for $549.  I cant beat this price online, even after taxes.  I was going to get one through atlantic via QC check, but I think I have learned enough about them I can check them myself.  I looked at some the other day.  Noticed all of them had good rivets.  I could only find one that I thought really had a canted front sight.  I was checking them by laying them upside down with rear sight resting on the counter, and seeing if one or both ears of the front sight contacted the counter as well. ( hope that makes sense).  I did notice that it looked like Century has started putting the finish on the receiver after they opened up the mag well.  Some had exposed metal, but several looked to be refinished after they were opened up for double stacks.

Anything else I should look for?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:43:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Are the barrels chrome lined? They probably have US made barrels on them now and I'm not sure if the are CL...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
They are suppose to be.  Thats what the Atlantic website says.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's mine, check it over, find one you like, and have fun." />
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They probably have US made barrels on them now and I'm not sure if the are CL...
View Quote

The rifles are made in Romania. Why would you think the barrel is made in this country?
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
A lot of the new production WASR 10's do not have the original Romanian barrel.

Quoted:

The rifles are made in Romania. Why would you think the barrel is made in this country?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They probably have US made barrels on them now and I'm not sure if the are CL...

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A lot of the new production WASR 10's do not have the original Romanian barrel.

View Quote

Where did you get that idea?

Why would anyone ship US made barrels for an AK to Romania?
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:33:12 PM EDT
[#7]
It's Century Arms, I have personally witnessed on more than one occasion where the barrel was stamped USA.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#8]
This was also posted here by user Bryan_Aim, from aimsurplus: Thread can be found here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/132299_WASRs_will_have_brand_new_barrels__no_more_military_surplus_kit_barrels_.html

Posted: 11/12/2010 10:32:05 AM EST

these (meaning Romy barrels) barrels fell into the machine gun barrel ban, they can no longer use Romanian barrels, they will now use a CHROME lined US made barrel, and will go up about 6%, we learned this in July,

You can also see here for the ATF ruling in 2005:
https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2005/07/071305-openletter-ffl-importers-frames-receivers-barrels.html

Link Posted: 3/4/2015 12:45:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Check for magazine wabble if possible.

A wasr was my first rifle I bought at 18 I treat it like shit but it keeps shooting.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Pretty sure the barrels are new, but definitely not US made.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish I still had my old WASR I would show you it was stamped USA
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:36:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm not saying it NEVER happened, but the current WASR's have Romanian CHF barrels.  Chrome lined to boot.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
It's Century Arms, I have personally witnessed on more than one occasion where the barrel was stamped USA.
View Quote

You have confused the rifles Century had built from kits a few years ago (GP 1975) with WASRs.
The GP 1975s were built on a US receiver with a US barrel.
The WASRs are made in Romania with a Romanian barrel.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'm not saying it NEVER happened, but the current WASR's have Romanian CHF barrels.  Chrome lined to boot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It didn't.
Prior to 2005 the barrels and other parts were new production.
After the barrel ban the Romanians used barrels and parts from demilled rifles and assembled them on single stack receivers.
When the current administration extended the ban to include barrels on assembled rifles, the Romanians started producing new barrels again.

There is no reason why any one would ever ship a US made AK barrel to Romania. They have the facility to make barrels there.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It didn't.
After the barrel ban the Romanians used barrels and parts from demilled rifles and assembled them on single stack receivers.
When the current administration extended the ban to include barrels on assembled rifles, the Romanians started producing new barrels again.

There is no reason why any one would ever ship a US made AK barrel to Romania. They have the facility to make barrels there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It didn't.

Thanks for the clarification, at least for me.  I didn't think that was correct.  I know in the firearms world you can never say never, but I thought all along the WASR 10 models always had Romanian barrels.  I have a 2014 WASR10 and I had no doubt it was a CHF chrome-lined Romanian barrel.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#16]
serious question, who in the US made ak barrels in 2005?
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 6:04:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This was also posted here by user Bryan_Aim, from aimsurplus: Thread can be found here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_4_64/132299_WASRs_will_have_brand_new_barrels__no_more_military_surplus_kit_barrels_.html

Posted: 11/12/2010 10:32:05 AM EST

these (meaning Romy barrels) barrels fell into the machine gun barrel ban, they can no longer use Romanian barrels, they will now use a CHROME lined US made barrel, and will go up about 6%, we learned this in July,

You can also see here for the ATF ruling in 2005:
https://www.atf.gov/press/releases/2005/07/071305-openletter-ffl-importers-frames-receivers-barrels.html

View Quote

You didn't even read your own links, did you?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I emailed Atlantic about the current WASRs.  They are made in Romania.  If Century follows the same formula they are following with the Zastavas they are changing the gas piston, trigger (3 parts), grip and muzzle break to get it down to 10 foreign parts for 922r.  They would never change the barrel.  Too much trouble.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:05:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Barrels are Romanian.

Any other thoughts are incorrect.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:32:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Old thread I know....But I finally did get my WASR (first AK).  I decked her out in zhukov furniture, PWS brake, Ultimak, Aimpoint T1, and an ALG trigger.  Shoots A LOT better than I thought it would.  Holds 2" groups with wolf mil classic fmj.   Is it bad that I want another one?

The mag it came with was an all steel mag that had a lot of wobble, and I am not knowledgeable enough to know where it was made.  I bought some magpul mags, the fit great and have had zero malfunctions so far.  Any recommendations for steel mags?  I also have a romanian drum on the way
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
.... Any recommendations for steel mags?  I also have a romanian drum on the way
View Quote

I haven't found any that don't work, except a batch of new Korean 20 rounders I tried. I rather like the Yugo bolt hold open ones, but not a huge deal. Have a bunch of surplus Romanian ones that are just fine too.

Since I like 20's in both AK and AR as the carry mag, the Tapco AK 20 rounders work like a charm.

I have the Romy drum myself, it's tactically fairly impractical except for a bunkered defensive position or something (or of course at a range as a hoot), but I do like it, mine has been flawless.

- OS
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top