Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2014 4:03:14 AM EDT
looking into converting my WASR 10 to an underfolder, I'm wanting to increase its portability and make it easier to stow somewhere (say the lockbox in my truck)  I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with this?  I've seen a couple ways of doing it while browsing through forums, including people using an adapter that goes where the stock would normally bolt in.  
I've also looked at getting a wire side folder, but the underfolder seems more streamlined.
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#1]
maybe you can find a template online you can attach to the rear receiver
and drill out

but im sure it has to be very precise sized holes

the only difference is they have a welded plate above the pistol grip for added support
which you could do yourself too

I used apex gun parts years ago and got used underfolder parts pretty cheap
and they looked brand new

but I had purchased a nodak spud underfolder receiver and built it

also im sure you have checked but make sure where you live it will end up a legal length when folded
here mine was too short so I had to add a tiny barrel extension or perm lock it open
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 4:44:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I can find an underfolder stock for around 20, the problem will be installing it.  Wire side folders seem to run around 70 or more, but they seem like a simple matter of unbolting the fixed stock and bolting the folder on in its place.  
I also worry that an underfolder wouldn't clear the magazine to open or close...
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 12:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can find an underfolder stock for around 20, the problem will be installing it.  Wire side folders seem to run around 70 or more, but they seem like a simple matter of unbolting the fixed stock and bolting the folder on in its place.  
I also worry that an underfolder wouldn't clear the magazine to open or close...
View Quote

or course the problem will be installing an underfolder on a fixed stock receiver it wont be bolt on its not an ar
but if you can find a template to lay on the metal anything can be done with some drill bits and die grinder/dremmel tool if you got the skills
and im sure there are templates online
the trick will be printing them to exact scale

of if you can find a flat thats underfolder
maybe hold that right over yours and trace out the holes if you can figure that out as it has to be pretty precise
or use it as reference with a set of calipers  http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/actions/ak-47-polish-underfolder-reciever-flat-prod42448.aspx

and it will fold and open with a standard 30rd mag
they have a slot cut out in the shoulder pad for that reason
they would have not made that design if it wouldnt work on the standard 30rd mags
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:57:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Wire side folder is an easy conversion. It has less play , includes a side sling swivel and does not interfere with mags.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:02:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Wire side folder is an easy conversion. It has less play , includes a side sling swivel and does not interfere with mags.
View Quote

This.

I have both.  If you want an underfolder go buy one, it's an acquired taste and some don't like them.  It's going to cost around $100 just in parts to convert.  If you want to make your fixed stock rifle more compact but still have the option to return to fixed when your needs change go with the wire sidefolder.  It's not as bad as some gripe about.  I wrapped the cheek area with paracord and it improved dramatically. Plus the rifle will still function with the stock folded if you needed it in a hurry.  If you really want to convert, I would strongly suggest a triangle sidefolder.  They are very solid and more like a regular fixed stock.  If you are going to drill your receiver this is the only conceivable option to me.

Another option is to fit a VZ08 style sidefolder.  It's lighter and stronger than a wire plus it offers a better cheek weld with a higher mounted bar.  Check out the "Enough of the traditional stuff" picture thread for photos of this setup.

Link to pictures of VZ08 setup
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a bonesteel side folder on my Wasr10 that I ordered from CNC Warrior. I cannot imagine a better truck gun. Stock is SHTF ready for sure. No drilling etc.. Put it on in literally 5 minutes. I got the right side folder and it doesn't really get in the way of the bolt or safety. You could cock it easily in a confined space. I wouldn't shoot it with it fully folded but whatever. Since you're going for compact get the Warsaw. Cheek weld is no problem for me..
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 12:44:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Not to derail, but weren't some older WASRs sold as underfolders?

From another website:

Figure 1: GP WASR-10 Underfolder With Standard Double Stack AK Magazine.
...the GP WASR-10 UF is very similar to the Romanian PM 65 underfolder but lacks the front grip. This Underfolding AKM was introduced by Century Arms in 2007.
Where legal it is sold with a threaded barrel, compensator, bayonet lug and two 30 round magazines.
View Quote

Why did they stop selling them? Did Century add the UF stock and simply run ou of parts? Was it import restrictions (but then how do NPAP UFs come in?) or did Century simply stop ordering them?

Anybody know?
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm curious about this too. They are nowhere to be found, even on the used market.

Quoted:

From another website:

Why did they stop selling them? Did Century add the UF stock and simply run ou of parts? Was it import restrictions (but then how do NPAP UFs come in?) or did Century simply stop ordering them?

Anybody know?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From another website:

Figure 1: GP WASR-10 Underfolder With Standard Double Stack AK Magazine.
...the GP WASR-10 UF is very similar to the Romanian PM 65 underfolder but lacks the front grip. This Underfolding AKM was introduced by Century Arms in 2007.
Where legal it is sold with a threaded barrel, compensator, bayonet lug and two 30 round magazines.

Anybody know?

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top