Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/22/2014 7:03:35 AM EDT
What kinds of issues are there with the FPK / PSL? I am curious about issues involving various makes of rifles in regards to build quality, malfunctions and receiver longevity as well as the issues I have heard about involving shooting heavier weight bullets in the gun. Also are there any companies out there building these with US made barrels using a .308 bore dia. Obviously if one could reload using .308 bullets the possibilities would be limitless.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd hit this and not look back   http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=459430852

Can't go wrong with this price today.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:15:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Ya PSL's are gone..........get what you can get.  I traded an AR and Glock for my original one back last week, no regrets.  Its a real Cugir build too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 5:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
The biggest issue with them, in my opinion, is people who want to think they are a "sniper" rifle, or equivalent to a Tiger/Dragunov, when they are not.  They are a "designated marksman" rifle, and as such will shoot more accurately out to a further distance than a regular AK, but they will not take the place of a true "precision rifle".

That said, I enjoy mine, and also have one of the WaffenWorks versions with the square cut receiver on it, so it takes regular AK stocks.  

You are right to be concerned about some of the builds out there, some have serious issues, but if you are willing to find a good one, you still can't beat the price of ammo for a large caliber semi-auto.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of the problems with US made and Cugir PSL's are related to the scope mount rail being out of alignment or not finished to size.  There are a lot of feed problems ... but they are almost all mag problems, rarely gun problems.

Many people have a hard time learning how to put the scope on the rail and how to adjust the scope to fit the rail.

As far as shooting ... they are difficult to master to get their best from them.  There are some things that are counter intuitive like letting the front hand guard free float when shooting rather than using it or a sling or a hand guard or barrel mounted bipod.  Like any gun, a particular PSL may like ammo that most of its sisters abhor - you have to try as many different ammo loads as you can find if you don't come up with 3-4 moa or better on your best shooting.

I'd start with Russian 188, Czech bxn, and Bulgarian circle 10 silver tip
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:10:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The biggest issue with them, in my opinion, is people who want to think they are a "sniper" rifle, or equivalent to a Tiger/Dragunov, when they are not.  They are a "designated marksman" rifle, and as such will shoot more accurately out to a further distance than a regular AK, but they will not take the place of a true "precision rifle".

That said, I enjoy mine, and also have one of the WaffenWorks versions with the square cut receiver on it, so it takes regular AK stocks.  

You are right to be concerned about some of the builds out there, some have serious issues, but if you are willing to find a good one, you still can't beat the price of ammo for a large caliber semi-auto.
View Quote

Its just harder to determine a good build with out seeing it personally. I have seen some in stores with chipped muzzles and that will destroy accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 2:13:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Most of the problems with US made and Cugir PSL's are related to the scope mount rail being out of alignment or not finished to size.  There are a lot of feed problems ... but they are almost all mag problems, rarely gun problems.

Many people have a hard time learning how to put the scope on the rail and how to adjust the scope to fit the rail.

As far as shooting ... they are difficult to master to get their best from them.  There are some things that are counter intuitive like letting the front hand guard free float when shooting rather than using it or a sling or a hand guard or barrel mounted bipod.  Like any gun, a particular PSL may like ammo that most of its sisters abhor - you have to try as many different ammo loads as you can find if you don't come up with 3-4 moa or better on your best shooting.

I'd start with Russian 188, Czech bxn, and Bulgarian circle 10 silver tip
View Quote

For me this rifle would be strictly a reloading proposition. cheap 7.62x54 cost as much as it does to reload now a day. I have probably 1000 non corrosive primed Russian steel cases from another reloading project that I can use to work up loads in. I understand with the SVD at least the loading portion of the operating cycle is fairly violent and some folks have issues with bullets setting forward when using 150gr boat tails in brass cases. I don't know about the FPK but I imagine the steel case will solve the issue.
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
The main problem is getting mags.....
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 7:34:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The main problem is getting mags.....
View Quote

Mags will come. If you don't even have the rifle the mags are a moot point
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:17:39 PM EDT
[#9]
as far as I have heard apex and another supplier have them in stock for less than $60

tons of them have been available during the past 4 or 5 months
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 12:36:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Cugir built PSL and basically everyone above has said all you need to know.

1st thing, it is NOT a "sniper" rifle or precision rifle. It is a DMR and there is a difference. Mine will shoot 2" groups consistently if i take my time. I haven't noticed the huge problems that others complain of with stringing when the barrel heats up but i take my time when i am going for small groups.

Check the rail, make sure you know country of origin or if it was a parts kit build. Mine actually prefers russian surplus over even new commercial ammo. No biggie, just have to make sure i give it a good cleaning at the range. As for mags, they pop up at SG Ammo for $39 each and I have had no problems with them feeding reliably.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#11]
All of the above.  the only thing I would add is that the scope is only 4X and the tritium that illuminates the reticles are long decayed.  You'd be better off swapping it out for an 8x scope from Kalinka Optics.

The way, WAY kool thing about these scopes is the reticle.   Bullet drop, windage gauge, range finder, you know full well these things were meant to be man killers.

Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Mine's an all a Romanian Cugir built PSL.  It is way twisted , crooked and katiwhampus.  VERY disappointing.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I am also wondering if anyone makes or has made these with US barrels. I am kind of thinking after mic ing one us barreled AK I have which has a .308 bore and is the most accurate AK I have ever shot (1.25 moa with m67 ball) that it would potentially be an accurate rifle as well not to mention that you could use .308 bullets. I am also thinking that certain companies would take more care in ensuring the straightness of the various blocks and bases on the barrel than the Romanians who I suspect were just cranking these guns out for the us market. I also have a WASR with Romanian barrel and the front sight base is definitely not straight on it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The US made PSL barrels have been so slow to deliver that we rarely hear test results from firing them.  Expect a 13 month wait, no one stocks them or makes them up in advance.

We can't even get Wolff to make springs for them even though weak springs are a frequent problem
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 3:40:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What kinds of issues are there with the FPK / PSL? I am curious about issues involving various makes of rifles in regards to build quality, malfunctions and receiver longevity as well as the issues I have heard about involving shooting heavier weight bullets in the gun. Also are there any companies out there building these with US made barrels using a .308 bore dia. Obviously if one could reload using .308 bullets the possibilities would be limitless.
View Quote

I forgot ... weak recoil springs are common.   A lot of PSL's won't drive the bolt forward if you let it go easy; it will rest on the hammer.   Biggest result is long range ejection of the casings ... can be pretty annoying 20, 30 or 40 ft to your right ;)

All the springs come from Cugir, so it doesn't matter who made your gun, it has a Cugir made spring in it ... strength will be the luck of the draw
Link Posted: 1/3/2015 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Shoot light ball (148-152 grain ammo - silver tip) - not heavy ball (182-203 grain - yellow tip).

Take apart the magazines and clean thoroughly.  Many of the magazine issues are due to springs being installed backwards.
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Shoot light ball (148-152 grain ammo - silver tip) - not heavy ball (182-203 grain - yellow tip).

Take apart the magazines and clean thoroughly.  Many of the magazine issues are due to springs being installed backwards.
View Quote

Or reloads. Again
Link Posted: 1/4/2015 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#18]
So if what I am hearing is that the FPK is do do what about the Serbian M76 in 8mm mauser?

Which apparently is also made in 308 and 3006 as well. hmm
Link Posted: 2/1/2015 8:38:11 PM EDT
[#19]
zeroing without "clicks" makes things more of a ballpark process.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 12:51:00 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

zeroing without "clicks" makes things more of a ballpark process.
View Quote
just takes more time with the TIP...then again, I put a 1p21 on. I'll take it to the long range steels sometime this week.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#21]
If you are flexible in what types of commie Rifle you are looking at I would take a look at the Zastava m77 and vepr in 308, CSspec makes solid mags for the vepr now (10-20rds) and are in the process of starting up the M77mags.

Both will probably cost less than a PSL, and you wont have any questions of build quality, it will be solid.

Link Posted: 3/17/2015 10:33:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't use Heavy Ball ammo in them. It beats the receiver to shit.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top