Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 11:21:49 AM EDT
One of my favorite rifles is an old SAR-3 I bought from a gunsmith years ago.  

I'd like to get a second one just like it to pass down someday.   I like the idea that these guns are built first right in an original AK factory (I realize they get new US made parts once they arrive due to 922r).

I checked Classic Arms but did not see any Romanian guns in 556.

Any leads?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#1]
No Romanian rifles in 5.56/223 are being imported at this time.

Gunbroker or a WTB ad in the Equipment Exchange is going to be your source for one at this point.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No Romanian rifles in 5.56/223 are being imported at this time.

Gunbroker or a WTB ad in the Equipment Exchange is going to be your source for one at this point.
View Quote

Hey MiniZ - thank you!  That actually saves me a lot of time.  Off to check out the EE.  I appreciate it.

On another note, I hope that 556 AKs keep gaining popularity.  My sar 3 is reliable and surprisingly accurate (even with the FSB cant).
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
There's always the pricey Bulgarian Arsenal rifles, but no more SAR-3s. The Romanians seemed to have had problems with .223 mechanics anyway.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Better off looking for a Saiga and convert it
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Given the choice between the sar-3 or WASR-3 I would much prefer the sar-3.

1. The wasr's are all single stacks that been cut open, and are missing the mag well dimples. Given how mags can be a small issues (finding ones that are a 100% reliable) it's one less potential issue to have to deal with given the Romanian QC or century for that matter on the WASR.

2. In my opinion the SAR-3's fit in find his just a little nicer (by know means a prince ) compared to the wasr's i have handled.

I have owned my sar-3 since 2001 it looks great, I have installed the Romanian threaded FSB and 22mm brake along with reinstalling the romy grip, gas piston (got these items yyeeaarss ago from center fire & K-var)

Yet to install the RedStar hammer mine contacts the bolt squarely and always goes boom, it does have BAD trigger slap but this from the disconnect. My mags are the EG 5.45 mags with Robinson Arms followers, I need to address this because 2-3 of them will not always feed the round from the right side, while the one weiger mag is 100%

Just can't get over $45 for the circle 10 or $50-$55 for the Weigers

There are always a handful of sar-3 on GB...

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a SAR 3 and have used a red star hammer and G2 trigger with no trigger slap. If you don't have a red star hammer, at least check if your firing pin and bolt have peening issues.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2015 10:47:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I recently bought a new (old stock) WASR-3. I had frequent failure to extract. I replaced the extractor spring and recoil spring with East German parts, now it runs like a raped ape. Still has the trigger slap though.

I'm getting 8MOA with Federal XM855. Is that normal? I can keep my groups half of that with an AR at 100yds, but this thing is a challenge to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:35:43 AM EDT
[#8]
What is a used one in excellent shape worth right now? I know of one I'm trying to find out if person still has it and I can buy it. The one I found is a wasr 3 with a vertical wood grip forearm.
Link Posted: 3/17/2015 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Wish they were. they were nice rifles and reliable with the correct mags.

As for 8MOA with 855, most of these rifles are likely to be 1:9 and may not particularly like 855. My Saiga shoots 50gr Vmax pills like shit, loves standard 55-62gr and shoots the same as an AR for me. Experiment is key.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top