Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/29/2014 11:17:21 PM EDT
I know now is a horrible time to buy an AK, but if I can get a WASR for around $530, is it worth it, or am I better off getting an AR-15 or a Russian AK (when/if the ban is lifted)?

I want a weapon that always goes boom, and has some knock down power for a WROL situation. I'm not too concerned about accuracy past 100 yards. I know the AR-15 is generally more accurate, but I think i'd rather have the 7.62x39 over the 5.56x45, and I like the idea that AK's tend to function better even when dirty.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion you're 100% wrong. Now is the best time to buy and buy quick.  Get what you can afford and don't look back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:59:38 AM EDT
[#2]
You're wrong that any firearm is 100% reliable, even an AK - though as a rule, they're pretty good.

$530 isn't a bad price for a WASR - jump if you can afford it, unless you think they'll somehow become cheaper in the future.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In my opinion you're 100% wrong. Now is the best time to buy and buy quick.  Get what you can afford and don't look back.
View Quote

+1 prices will go up for sure.. The ban will never be lifted for the Russian guns.. just like the Chinese and they still going up in price.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 10:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1 prices will go up for sure.. The ban will never be lifted for the Russian guns.. just like the Chinese and they still going up in price.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Current WASRs are quite decently made, and as about as dependable a firearm to go boom as any. They're even currently configured with nice solid wood stocks instead of the laminated plywood ones.

I'd say grab one while ya can, 'cause you just never know, ya know.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#5]
A piston driven Ruger is sweet too. Pricey, but it does have the NATO round that will always be around one way or another..... I just got both
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:56:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally don't think the Russian ban will last assuming Russia complies and backs down from shenanigans in Ukraine.

Putin is a psychopath, so who knows, but if he does comply, it would be a foreign policy nightmare for the US not to reverse its sanctions.

Now, whether or not the president creates some sort of other BS to ban AK's is another question.

Either way, I still wouldn't shell out for a Russian AK when I could buy 2 WASRs or Bulgys.

I have enjoyed my WASR. I learned a lot about AK gunsmithing because it was not functioning great when I got it. Back then, Century ran an absolute clownshow of QC. Not sure if it's better or not, but don't crap your sheets if you have a canted FSB or gas block.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the WASR and a crap ton of ammunition and have a blast with it. I've had two so far, no problems out of either though I did trade one to a friend because he wouldn't leave me alone about wanting it. I was lucky enough to pick up one with the Polish wire side folder stock already attached, 3 metal magazines, and roughly 100 rounds for $475 a few months back. All I've done to it was wrapped the side folder in 5/50, put on a MI rail I had laying around, and get a few more magazines. 100% reliable so far, go out and enjoy
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:45:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I personally don't think the Russian ban will last assuming Russia complies and backs down from shenanigans in Ukraine.
View Quote

Know of any other firearm/ammo embargoes that have ever been reversed?

- OS
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

- OS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

They're sanctions against a foreign company, not some sort of administrative, domestic policy.

You can't cripple a foreign country's business based on said country's behavior and then not lift the sanctions if that country alters its behavior.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:44:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

They're sanctions against a foreign company, not some sort of administrative, domestic policy.

You can't cripple a foreign country's business based on said country's behavior and then not lift the sanctions if that country alters its behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Oh really?  Norinco is on line two.

China seems to have "altered its behavior" enough that we allow most everything else to come in from there, but curiously, not any of the most desirable firearms that used to be available. Or any ammo at all.

- OS
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:25:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#12]

"Know of any other firearm/ammo embargoes that have ever been reversed?"

Only one guy ever did so, and I don't see another Reagan out there anywhere on the horizon.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top