Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/23/2014 2:02:39 PM EDT
So I picked up one of these guys a while back and it came new with a Tapco G2 FCG in it. Since these parts are US made, does that mean that it already has been made to be in 922(r) compliance from the importer? (it was shipped with non-US surplus mags)

Not at risk either way, I have since updated it with US made muzzle device, handguards, stock, and pistol grip; just looking to make sure because I have friends that picked them up around the same time and want them to know.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#1]
They are all supposed to be 922 compliant before going to the market.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
The US made parts on a WASR are: fire control group, piston and pistol grip. If the muzzle device is welded in place from Century, it's foreign made. If it is not welded in place, it's US made.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:15:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a Section 922r Worksheet that let's you see if you're compliant.

Can anyone tell me what parts are domestic for a built Romy G kit?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#4]
cool. I already had out a PWS comp, ergo grip, and stock on it, so that should have kept me safe with the G2 FCG, just asking for the friends

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Those kits were built by dozens of builders (many more than that if you include the ones built in the garages and basements all over the country). There is no standard set of US parts.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:38:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Those kits were built by dozens of builders (many more than that if you include the ones built in the garages and basements all over the country). There is no standard set of US parts.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wouldn't know how to tell if parts are domestic or foreign. I know that the receiver is domestic, but beyond that, I'd be guessing.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I wouldn't know how to tell if parts are domestic or foreign. I know that the receiver is domestic, but beyond that, I'd be guessing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Receiver should be romanian.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. The Romanian "G" KITS had the receivers cut per Federal law in order to get them into the country.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No. The Romanian "G" KITS had the receivers cut per Federal law in order to get them into the country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah missed that, my bad. Was thinking of the wasr the thread was started about.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
922r really only applies to anyone who mod's the gun or imports it.  Example. Joe buys a MAK90 and uses a foreign parts kit to put on all the un922r compliant parts Joe violates 922r. Joe sells sells the modified gun to Tom.  Tom is not in violation of 922r.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
922r really only applies to anyone who mod's the gun or imports it.  Example. Joe buys a MAK90 and uses a foreign parts kit to put on all the un922r compliant parts Joe violates 922r. Joe sells sells the modified gun to Tom.  Tom is not in violation of 922r.
View Quote

yeah, I was just surprised to see American made parts on it from the manufacturer. I assumed it would be imported all foreign and to change any of the 922r qualifying parts would require changing enough to make it compliant
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Example. Joe buys a MAK90 and uses a foreign parts kit to put on all the un922r compliant parts Joe violates 922r. Joe sells sells the modified gun to Tom.  Tom is not in violation of 922r.
View Quote

So what happens to Tom's rifle? Is he given the opportunity to bring it into compliance, does he lose it?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:42:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So what happens to Tom's rifle? Is he given the opportunity to bring it into compliance, does he lose it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Example. Joe buys a MAK90 and uses a foreign parts kit to put on all the un922r compliant parts Joe violates 922r. Joe sells sells the modified gun to Tom.  Tom is not in violation of 922r.

"Tom" doesn't have to do shit. He keeps his rifle and as is. The law only applies to whoever puts the parts on not who owns it.  Take the time to read the law.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Take the time to read the law.
View Quote

I read the law:

922(r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925 (d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—
         (1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
         (2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

Just curious as to how it is enforced. Especially after the assembly/modifications have been done... and even after the rifle has changed hands afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:31:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I read the law:

922(r) It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925 (d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—
         (1) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for sale or distribution by a licensed manufacturer to the United States or any department or agency thereof or to any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or
         (2) the assembly of any such rifle or shotgun for the purposes of testing or experimentation authorized by the Attorney General.

Just curious as to how it is enforced. Especially after the assembly/modifications have been done... and even after the rifle has changed hands afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Take the time to read the law.

I read the law:

Do you see anything in the law which makes possession of a non-compliant weapon a crime? No.
The act of assembly is a crime under certain circumstances.
So long as the owner doesn't change parts he hasn't assembled the weapon. IF the owner changes parts, it becomes his responsibility to comply with the law and the implementing regulation.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 11:49:45 AM EDT
[#16]
It's basically unenforceable on private individuals.  The prosecution would have to prove, without a shadow of doubt, that you violated 922r. Very difficult to do on a gun that was imported say 20yrs ago and changed hands a dozen times. Now if you had a Saiga that you bought new and converted it using a parts kit that you ordered from XYZ parts co., probably an easy conviction.  Not saying that no private individual has ever been convicted solely on a 922r violation, but I've never read a case on it.  If someone, other than a mfg/importer, has been convicted of a 922r violation, I'm sure there was probably other charges that got the ball rolling like a 3rd axis pin.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:53:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 The prosecution would have to prove, without a shadow of doubt, that you violated 922r.
View Quote

"... shadow of doubt ..."

Would you care to tell us what law school you graduated from and your class rank.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Would you care to tell us what law school you graduated from and your class rank.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 The prosecution would have to prove, without a shadow of doubt, that you violated 922r.

Okay, you got me there.  They gotta make a judge believe you did it.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top