Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/11/2014 5:37:37 PM EDT
I tried to do a search in the Romanian forum for Romy "G", but didn't find anything, oddly enough.

Anyway, I'm wondering what "model" my Romy "G" would fall under. I don't believe that it's a WASR since those were originally built for the "Civilian Guard" rather than the "Patriotic Guard". Since mine is an underfolder, I'm assuming that it was a Romanian PM MD.65.

According to Wikipedia:

Patriotic Guards version
The most-produced civilian export variation of this rifle is that of the 'Garda' designation, produced for the Romanian Patriotic Guards. These rifles have a letter 'G' engraved on the left side of the rear sight block. The civil guard versions are modified by the removal of the sear and the modification of the disconnector to be semi-automatic only. Tens of thousands of these have been imported into the United States and sold as 'parts kits' (the receiver is destroyed by torch-cutting per BATF regulations – without the receiver, the kit is no longer legally considered a firearm). They are colloquially known among firearms enthusiasts as "Romy G's".

Other civilian versions
Other civilian 7.62mm Romanian AK clones are: SAR 1, WASR 10 (including WASR 10/63), Romak 991, Romak 1, and WUM 1.

The Wieger rifle lookalikes known as the STG-2000 and STG-2003 are based on WASR 10 rifles, which are the only ones still in production.

Anybody have any clarification on what the Romy "G"s really are as far as US Models go?
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
A Romey G was a parts kits imported to the US from a Semi-auto Romanian Guard gun.

Somebody put it together with a US receiver to make it a functional weapon again.

Somebody made it with an underfolding stock. It is not a factory built gun. There is no model. It is a home built.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:06:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Informative;

http://www.weaponscache.com/forum/ak47/300-big-guide-romanian-ak-variants-accessories.html
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 1:47:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Like this?

Undefolder stock is Bulgy kit
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 7:22:36 AM EDT
[#5]
All the Romy G guns we built at Henderson Defense Ind. were full auto gun originally. Back in '07 all the kits we had were numbers matching, and had all the FA trigger groups (numbers matching) that came with. "G" does stand for Guarda. The ones we had showed very little wear if any to all parts. Have a pic somewhere with hundreds of kits in boxes, stacked up like cord wood. Think we paid  $80-100 per kit with original bbls and the good wood stock sets.
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:27:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I had 10 G kits at one time payed $50 each in the day. Best kits I ever put togather.
Link Posted: 11/5/2014 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#7]
This one started as one of the Romy G kits. Arsenal USA put it together on one of their 1.5mm receivers. Wonderful rifle. I think I still have another of the kits in the closet somewhere. One of my many projects that I have amassed for a later date.

Link Posted: 11/23/2014 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Same here I had 10 too for 50 each! Man I loved them! I put one together with a AMD 65 stock. man that one was cool.
They were all like new too. Wish I had picked up more but thats when the I got five AMD 63s. They were ok but not the same as the G kits!
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top