Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/22/2014 10:18:49 PM EDT
Picked up a Wasr10 at the local gun store recently. This is my first Ak and I don't really know what to expect. I do know that the windage on the front side favors the right considerably and leaves me to think that something is canted. After a short amount of research this seams to be no problem, and I was shooting soda cans very easily at 50 yards. what upgrades/fixes would you perform to the rifle to make it better. I don't care much for rails and will probably leave the wood furniture on the rifle minus the stock. I was thinking of doing the Rifle dynamics custom front end for a shorter overall look along with a folding stock. for the cost though, I am considering taking this challenge on myself. Suggestions and advice very much needed and appreciated.

Link Posted: 6/22/2014 10:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I would put a sling swivel on the side of the stock because the one on the bottom doesn't mesh well with the front sling hook on the side. Other than that it is ready to bump fire into a creek as is.

If you want to spend some money on it add a folding stock and a better muzzle brake. The only upgrade that will squeeze the maximum accuracy out of the rifle is an optic - either using the side mount or a tube mounted option.  I'd avoid the temptation to junk it up like an AR because AK's get heavy when you start adding on.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot the rifle enough to become very familiar with it. Find out if you feel it has deficiencies which you think need to be corrected. If so, make the modifications required to solve those deficiencies.

Don't worry about making changes which someone else thinks are needed.

Link Posted: 6/23/2014 2:07:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I would buy an AR style stock for it, folders are neat but overrated IMO. I have an Arsenal  SLR107 with a folder, I like it, but an AR stock would be 100x better for me.

When I first got mine, the ergonomics weren't up to par for me, I didn't realize at the time that the pistol grip was the main drawback, I ordered a US Palm grip thinking it would feel a bit better but it ended up changing the feel of the entire rifle, like I was actually had better control of it.

I would start there.

Congrats on your new rifle.

ETA: just realized it has a Magpul grip
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're comfortable shooting an old .30-30, the AK will fall right into place. The trajectories are similar and if you're used to standard rear notch sights, you've got it made.

Have fun!
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 12:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would buy an AR style stock for it, folders are neat but overrated IMO. I have an Arsenal  SLR107 with a folder, I like it, but an AR stock would be 100x better for me.

When I first got mine, the ergonomics weren't up to par for me, I didn't realize at the time that the pistol grip was the main drawback, I ordered a US Palm grip thinking it would feel a bit better but it ended up changing the feel of the entire rifle, like I was actually had better control of it.

I would start there.

View Quote
Felt it in the store a couple of weeks before I bought it, and I hated the standard grip. Love the Magpul grip on my ARs so I got that on MidwayUSA before I picked up the rifle.

As far as cleaning goes, I realize it doesn't need to be cleaned, but when I do clean it, what needs cleaning?
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:46:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Mostly I just clean the barrel, make sure everything is properly lubed, check for any sort of buildup on the bolt or in the receiver and clean anything that is getting cruddy. I only clean the carbon off of the piston and give everything a good scrubbing periodically.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 4:26:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Felt it in the store a couple of weeks before I bought it, and I hated the standard grip. Love the Magpul grip on my ARs so I got that on MidwayUSA before I picked up the rifle.

As far as cleaning goes, I realize it doesn't need to be cleaned, but when I do clean it, what needs cleaning?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would start there.

I clean everything. Barrel, gas tube, bolt, piston, rails, and I even get a q-tip and wipe out the internals. While they're designed to be reliable while dirty as fuck (ie being run hard in a wartime environment), there's no reason for you to not clean them like anything else. If you end up shooting corrosive ammo, why leave that crap in there to damage a gun you paid several hundred bucks for?

edit: Nice wood OP. I like the unfinished look and I have one similar. Did it come with the tapco trigger?
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I clean everything. Barrel, gas tube, bolt, piston, rails, and I even get a q-tip and wipe out the internals. While they're designed to be reliable while dirty as fuck (ie being run hard in a wartime environment), there's no reason for you to not clean them like anything else. If you end up shooting corrosive ammo, why leave that crap in there to damage a gun you paid several hundred bucks for?

edit: Nice wood OP. I like the unfinished look and I have one similar. Did it come with the tapco trigger?
View Quote
i put clear stain on it then 2 coats of a semi gloss finish on it. not enough to look like it has a finish but enough to protect the wood. also, yes and its smooth as can be. not a crisp break on the trigger but still a light pull. i wont buy corrosive ammo, not even for my mosins. as far as cleaning goes, i only clean my ARs every 500 rounds and i shoot wolf/tula through them with no problems. i just like to know what needs cleaning and what doesn't. thanks

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Shoot the rifle enough to become very familiar with it. Find out if you feel it has deficiencies which you think need to be corrected. If so, make the modifications required to solve those deficiencies.

Don't worry about making changes which someone else thinks are needed.

View Quote

Agreed, and I would stay away from any modifications that alter the basic function of the rifle like Ambi charge handles, extended handles. More stuff in the way and more stuff to go wrong and mess up muscle memory on an already efficient design. As others have said above, AKs get heavy when you pack on bells and whistles. An optic like a tube mounted red dot/micro dot should do just fine.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Leave the sling loop on the bottom and shoot the heck out of it.  If you clean your AR every 500 rounds, you can let your AK go a LONG time between cleanings.  When I clean my AK I just run a bore snake through it and put a little oil on the moving parts.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#11]
New rifles do need cleaning to get the chips and crud out.  After that, not much is needed.

Get lots of good surplus mags while they are cheap and available.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright, so i know a couple of you said not to do it up like an AR but I liked my Magpul stock and its actually the same weight, just about.

The rifle in its current configuration:

Vltor ak stock adapter

Magpul CTR, MOE AK grip, P-mag

Archangel Op-For handguards

And for shiggles, here's my girl shooting it.

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:23:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone else have the archangel handguards? I was wondering if they could get their cleaning rod to fit in.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Welcome to the AK side. I don't publicly recommend accessories by name unless I'm being paid. That said, I like a rear aperture sight.  The longer the sight radius the better.  If you scope it, keep it simple, but don't buy some cheap Chinese set up. I like Yugo mags, in that they have a bolt hold open follower.  I like simple, stupid, loose 2 point slings.  Keep a good stance and let the lead fly. Oh, where in KY do you call home?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Welcome to the AK side. I don't publicly recommend accessories by name unless I'm being paid. That said, I like a rear aperture sight.  The longer the sight radius the better.  If you scope it, keep it simple, but don't buy some cheap Chinese set up. I like Yugo mags, in that they have a bolt hold open follower.  I like simple, stupid, loose 2 point slings.  Keep a good stance and let the lead fly. Oh, where in KY do you call home?
View Quote
I am really considering getting a Tech Sight rear sight but its out of my budget for now. I just use Magpul mags because they are cheap. I live in the Louisville area.  

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously?
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:09:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Seriously?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

It was a joke.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 8:13:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Anybody got opinions on a flash hider? I don't like brakes/comps.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:25:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Seriously?

It was a joke.
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2009/6/24/1245853013218/Waynes-World-product-plac-001.jpg

Lol. Gotcha.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 9:41:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Bulgarian 4 piece work pretty darn good but are pricey.
http://ak-builder.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30405
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#21]
the ak74 style brake works great on 762 aks

I eventually changed the brake back to the slanted brake though

I dressed up my wasr when I first bought it but now it has bulgarian wood furniture from my 74

762 AKs should ALL have wood furniture, at least that is the way I feel
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:34:32 PM EDT
[#22]
How's the wood feel? Mine was way rough and gnarly, not even worth a picture. This is after the stain dried but before I started the polyurethane:

Should be done tomorrow night.
Quoted:
View Quote

CNC Warrior PKM Short.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#23]
The wood was pretty smooth. Light sanding smoothed it up pretty good. I still have the wood furniture but I have no use for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Before:

After:

Next, I will have the barrel cut and pin a flash hideron it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#25]
This WASR-10 just came into the shop to add the E German folder.

Wood was unfinished but decent.. loaned him some Sedona Red and some Formby's "Tung" oil.

Fit and finish was ok.. just some shavings inside the receiver.. cleaned them with some qtips..

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:12:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I wouldn't get Yugo, or any "bolt hold open" mags for it. The rifle has no bolt hold open device so all that is happening is the bolt face is jamming up against the follower after the last shot. This means the bolt group/recoil spring are pressing against the mag, making it harder to remove. After you remove it the bolt flies forward anyhow, so you still have to cycle the charging handle after you insert the new mag anyhow. Waste of time imho, with no advantages over a standard magazine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wouldn't get Yugo, or any "bolt hold open" mags for it. The rifle has no bolt hold open device so all that is happening is the bolt face is jamming up against the follower after the last shot. This means the bolt group/recoil spring are pressing against the mag, making it harder to remove. After you remove it the bolt flies forward anyhow, so you still have to cycle the charging handle after you insert the new mag anyhow. Waste of time imho, with no advantages over a standard magazine.
View Quote

Only advantage is you know when you're empty, can feel it lock back, don't have to wait for the "click" if you didn't count the shots.Might be slight edge if using in a real fight.

- OS

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Only advantage is you know when you're empty, can feel it lock back, don't have to wait for the "click" if you didn't count the shots.Might be slight edge if using in a real fight.

- OS

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

I'd be willing to bet while on adrenaline you wouldn't notice it lock back. Then you'd still pull the trigger, and notice there was no detonation. Then human nature would be to LOOK at the gun, and than realize what you have to do. At that point you still have a harder extraction than with a normal mag at the start of your reload. I'd say it's a moot point in ANY situation.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 3:35:45 AM EDT
[#29]
shoot lots of ammo with quick mag  changes and do it in your web gear, and the weapon will teach you what it whats you to know . i love my WASR , ive had it since 2004 with a ammo count in the 7,000 to 10,000 range with 3 FTF in that time . they were all ammo issues anyway . enjoy it !
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 4:45:28 AM EDT
[#30]
I just worked on my stock; used Minwax stain and then Minwax matte clear polyurethane.  Bought a Midwest Industries scope mount and a Vortex Strikefire and GTG.  I will probably look to improve the sling mounting issue.
My home defense weapon right now.

Link Posted: 10/31/2014 3:22:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just worked on my stock; used Minwax stain and then Minwax matte clear polyurethane.  Bought a Midwest Industries scope mount and a Vortex Strikefire and GTG.  I will probably look to improve the sling mounting issue.My home defense weapon right now.

http://i.imgur.com/8XaXsKI.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3oScSqS.jpg
View Quote

That AK looks great army_eod, when and where did u buy that WASR and were sights good?
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 7:04:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'd be willing to bet while on adrenaline you wouldn't notice it lock back. Then you'd still pull the trigger, and notice there was no detonation. Then human nature would be to LOOK at the gun, and than realize what you have to do. At that point you still have a harder extraction than with a normal mag at the start of your reload. I'd say it's a moot point in ANY situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

- OS

Quoted:
shoot lots of ammo with quick mag  changes and do it in your web gear, and the weapon will teach you what it whats you to know ...!

Yup, I'm pretty sure our servicemen in firefights know when their ARs lock open on empty without trying to pull the trigger or having to "LOOK at the gun". The feeling with AK is just as distinctive to me as my AR, though I hope I don't ever have to verify it under duress.

Actually, first mag is likely to be a 20 round non-lock back anyway, as that's what's in all three of them to begin with anyway.

- OS

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top